Sponsored by:

most competitive car for F class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:22 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
My turbo is making about 189 rwhp. That's why I can't keep up with you guys! Absolutely stock legal. I also don't get the advantage of the S2 ring & pinion or the 968 6 speed gear box.

Foul!!!
My motor is bone stock as well. There are a couple of other guys that are within a HP or 2 of me and we're all stock. hmmm

You wouldn't happen to know an orthopod by the name of Al Cuellar. They live in your neck of the woods and were good friends of ours 20+ years ago...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:32 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
No worries, no insults taken

Was your friend's car a cab? 968 cabs weigh that much, but I've never heard of a coupe weighing that much. Every PCA F class 968 that I've seen is carrying significant ballast to make minimum weight. If his car is a coupe then something strange is going on. Maybe a PO added aftermarket speakers and sound deadening?

205 hp from a stock motor is about right. Legal mods will get you a nice improvement over that. When you're comparing race cars in a PCA class you have to assume that everyone has done all of the legal mods and has a healthy motor.

I don't think that a 968 is significantly faster than a 944 S2 in PCA F class trim. My experience as an F class racer is that the two cars run so close that the best driver with the best setup for a particular track on a particular weekend wins.

I do more race weekends than DE weekends these days. About the only DE's I instruct at anymore are the ones my home region runs at Mid Ohio and Putman Park. I won't be at your VIR DE, but I did do a DE there with NNJR a couple years ago. I ran 2:16's on dead tires. If I was going to show up there to race I would expect to qualify at least in the 2:15's and hopefully the 2:14's, so feel free to compare your times.
Jim-

My friends car is a coupe and he is stymied as to why it weighs so much.

As far as your time @ VIR goes that's very quick. The best drivers in our group (of which I am not) run in the 2:18-19's when all the stars are alligned.

One of the reasons I bought a trailer last year is to go to more tracks and Mid Ohio is on the list. Maybe one day I'll see you there.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
One of the reasons I bought a trailer last year is to go to more tracks and Mid Ohio is on the list. Maybe one day I'll see you there.
Ohio Valley Region runs an excellent DE in April. If you show up to that one I'll take you out for a ride and show you what a 968 can do.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smlporsche
My motor is bone stock as well. There are a couple of other guys that are within a HP or 2 of me and we're all stock. hmmm

You wouldn't happen to know an orthopod by the name of Al Cuellar. They live in your neck of the woods and were good friends of ours 20+ years ago...
Sorry. I don't know Al. Is he still a PCA member down here?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been watching this F class post...Bill, my 86 turbo makes 186rwhp, stock, car is legal for SP3 or NASA GTS2 due to the interior gutted...
Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjensen
I have been watching this F class post...Bill, my 86 turbo makes 186rwhp, stock, car is legal for SP3 or NASA GTS2 due to the interior gutted...
mjensen, have you raced with either NASA or PCA? If so, what have your results been like?

Overall, it seems like the performance of the non-s turbo is as stated by Porsche, whereas the performance of the S2 is greater than what has been stated by Porsche.

This is important, because the Porsche stated performance has been carried through into SuperCup (SP3). SP3 results show that at 2900#'s the S2 is almost unbeatable. In "F" the S2 is 33#'s heavier than the non-S turbo and still kicks butt.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
mjensen, have you raced with either NASA or PCA? If so, what have your results been like?

Overall, it seems like the performance of the non-s turbo is as stated by Porsche, whereas the performance of the S2 is greater than what has been stated by Porsche.

This is important, because the Porsche stated performance has been carried through into SuperCup (SP3). SP3 results show that at 2900#'s the S2 is almost unbeatable. In "F" the S2 is 33#'s heavier than the non-S turbo and still kicks butt.

The problem with the regular 86-88 F-class Turbos versus the S2s and 968s: 1) it can only run 8 x 9" wide wheels, so you cannot readily run 285s in back. 2) you cannot upgrade to the Turbo S/928S4/M030 calipers. 3) Gearing is much taller than the S2 3.875 R/P, or the 968 6 spd.

Powerwise, the S2 picks up some gains with headers, and possibly by tweeking the cam timing (?). The Turbo gets a pretty good gain when pulling the cat (reducing back pressure and increase differential pressure across the turbine). But the S2 will keep the acceleration advantage because of the shorter final drive. And even on long straights, many of the S2s are using the 0.829 Turbo 5th gear, so the Turbo still will not pull them on the top end either.

A well setup and well driven Euro SC is tough to beat in F. They have a 400 lb weight advantage, and can develop some impressive hp. Cant keep up with them on the straights and cant outbrake them.

If $$ matters in this decision making process, the 944S2 will be the cheapest to build and operate, with the 944T very close (arguably a little higher maintenance and part costs), and then a 968 (about the same operating costs as an S2, just a more expensive car to purchase initially). I think the Euro SCs are going to be quite a bit more expensive to build, and although the maintenance intervals may be longer, the engine and trans rebuilds are probably double that of the 944 series.

Last edited by Oddjob; 12-28-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Rico Racing
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last reply noted the bigger brakes on the S2. S2 can run the big turbo S brakes. That is a big advantage and I think the S2 can out brake anything in the class, out handle the 911s but the S2 has a little less power than the 911. I also think the 911 guys will admit the S2 is less $ to maintain. I'm a 911 guy from way back but I love my S2 F class car.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The problem with the regular 86-88 F-class Turbos versus the S2s and 968s: 1) it can only run 8 x 9" wide wheels, so you cannot readily run 285s in back. 2) you cannot upgrade to the Turbo S/928S4/M030 calipers. 3) Gearing is much taller than the S2 3.875 R/P, or the 968 6 spd.

Powerwise, the S2 picks up some gains with headers, and possibly by tweeking the cam timing (?). The Turbo gets a pretty good gain when pulling the cat (reducing back pressure and increase differential pressure across the turbine). But the S2 will keep the acceleration advantage because of the shorter final drive. And even on long straights, many of the S2s are using the 0.829 Turbo 5th gear, so the Turbo still will not pull them on the top end either.

A well setup and well driven Euro SC is tough to beat in F. They have a 400 lb weight advantage, and can develop some impressive hp. Cant keep up with them on the straights and cant outbrake them.

If $$ matters in this decision making process, the 944S2 will be the cheapest to build and operate, with the 944T very close (arguably a little higher maintenance and part costs), and then a 968 (about the same operating costs as an S2, just a more expensive car to purchase initially). I think the Euro SCs are going to be quite a bit more expensive to build, and although the maintenance intervals may be longer, the engine and trans rebuilds are probably double that of the 944 series.
Couldn't have said it any better.

(my car makes 189 rwhp w/o cat)
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

The ’84-89 Carrera’s are also in F class and make up a significant portion of it. They are not mentioned much on this post. Does conventional wisdom just tell us that they are not the car to choose for “F”.

I also noted at Daytona and other races, that the G cars (911 SC’s) are at least mid pack or higher with the F’s.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:18 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark Humpfer. Enough said. (I may have butchered his last name but the man used to make the F Troop boys shake in their boots... Euro SC)
Old 01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
Mark Humpfer. Enough said. (I may have butchered his last name but the man used to make the F Troop boys shake in their boots... Euro SC)
Hupfers motor isn't legal, or all of the stars aligned and it's the best one in the world. I've run against him a little, and seen his results over the years. There is no way that he can run a 2:10.9 in qualifiying on a HP track like Daytona based upon driving alone. He was 3 seconds faster than Gary Grigsby, and it is my understanding that handling is where the 968 has its advantage over the 911s. He then drove in Rod Johnson's 993 RSCS and could only manage a 2:10.4 in a car that should have almost 100 more HP. Phil Blackstone did a 2:07.6 in his RSCS. You do the math.

Back to the Carreras. Until other platforms were developed, the Carreras were at the front of the grid. The thing that limits them is not enough brakes for the weight that they carry, and not stiff enough suspension for the newer tires. The Euro SCs carry between 100~200 less lbs, on the same brakes with the same HP. And you can richen the mixture and adjust the timing to tune for headers, something that you cannot do with a motronic Carrera.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Euro SC is the car to have in F if you want to win and have the skills to be at the front. The key reasons are that the SC has a "tunable" air/fuel mixture, and the Carrera doesnt due its computer/chip based injection system. This allows you to legally dial in more HP. The second key reason is weight. Lighter=Faster with the same HP. Also, you can stuff meaty 17" tires with 245/275 tires which make loads of grip.

If I raced in F, this is the car I would have. Mark Hupfer runs this car and wins. Why? Cause he is a great driver with a really well set up class winning car. Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Larry, I KNEW that post would wake you up! I will admit that i've never met the man, just admired his driving from afar. Watching him pound Mike Ellis a few years back when I was even more young and stupid than today was eye opening. Ellis didn't claim foul... but there is also some saying about glass motors and stones...

Mark hasn't run the Euro SC much, spent some time in Grand Am but I notcied he's bringing it down to Sebring. I know Mark can drive his *** off, paired with a first class setup... thats the winning ticket in PCA. As far as his motor being legal, it's passed the tech shed teardown every event i've been too!

We made 204 rwhp with our fully rebuilt F class motor on a mustang dyno back in the day. What did your old steed turn at Cyntex before you overhauled and sold?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

JimmiLew... don't you know a thing or two about those old SC platforms?!

Quick Reply: most competitive car for F class?