Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom N
The SD card cameras are the ticket. I have used a JVC Everio GZ-MG255U with a 4GB Sandisk card which is good for 100 minutes at normal mode.

I did have to get the BN-VF823U battery which is good for 100 minutes as well.

Another feature of this camera, and one I would suggest is a manual focus setting. Many cameras will focus on the windshield in auto focus mode.

The lens on this camera in 16:9 mode captures a wide field of view without an adapter.

I have had no problems using an IO Port mount on the Tequipment harness/roll bar.

Good luck with your choice.
Tom,

Okay, I guess I'm confused by the technology. How is your camcorder different from the Sony HDR-CX7, other than the Sony having high definition video? Sony touts their HDR-CX7 as being the first camera to record high definition directly to Memory Stick PRO Duo® media. Is this just a proprietary version of an SD card?

How does the JVC deal with the shakes and bumps of a car? Have you had any shut-off issues? Any gripes with the DVD burnability or software?

I looked at one of the JVC's at Best Buy but was told, apparently incorrectly, that these could only record still photos to the SD cards. From JVC's website (http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp...Id=119&page=10), it looks like the camera can record video to the card. We don;t have any high def tv'sand are not likely to buy any in the near future, so I'm concerned about paying a boatload of money for technology that we're not going to need, only to sacrifice other features that may be more useful than high def capability.

Thanks for any info you can provide, Tom.

BTW, if anyone is looking for wide-angle lenses, this website seems to offer a plethora of them: http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/ I spoke to Charlie who said that one can attach a wide-angle lens to most camcorders via the internal threaded screw mount.

No affilation, of course.

My apologies for the numerous noob questions.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
BTW, if anyone is looking for wide-angle lenses, this website seems to offer a plethora of them: http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/ I spoke to Charlie who said that one can attach a wide-angle lens to most camcorders via the internal threaded screw mount.
Mark - Just an FYI with www.newworldvideodirect.com. That's where I originally ordered my wide angle lens from. Great prices, but could never deliver a product. After 6 weeks, canceled order, and got lens from somewhere else (a little more expensive, but received it in 3 days). Just make sure they have it actually in stock.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at one of the JVC's at Best Buy but was told, apparently incorrectly, that these could only record still photos to the SD cards. From JVC's website (http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp...Id=119&page=10), it looks like the camera can record video to the card. We don;t have any high def tv'sand are not likely to buy any in the near future, so I'm concerned about paying a boatload of money for technology that we're not going to need, only to sacrifice other features that may be more useful than high def capability.

Mark, this is similar to the JVC that I have from Best Buy, except mine is 20GB, and it sounds like they continue to give out bad information! Like Tom, I ended up using mine to record to SD cards, where i have had no problems with shake and vibration. If you have the big battery and the large SD cards, these work fine.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:48 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Would be good if someone who has the camera could confirm this. The manual has a big bold caveat that reads "For select model only. Please refer to the package printing for detailed specification. There may also be some limitations in recording format with that mode [both aspect ratio and video format], which is why its just hard to say without a test. I agree that the video quality looks very good for a very low cost camera, and suspect that the original saved format is impressive. The Vimeo sample has been through at least two compression cycles! Its interesting that Vimeo throws as 'Unknown format' descriptor for the original uploaded video, but their Flash engine seems to have handled it well enough.

Mike,
What format did you upload to Vimeo?? Vimeo reports .unk [unknown format]. I downloaded your original. Quicktime can't open it, but WMP thinks its a WMV format and plays it without a problem.
I can confirm that there is an AV input on the camera. I tried hooking up an external microphone to it, and it blanked out the picture, so I assume that if the input was full AV (like coming from a bullet camera), that you would be able to record sound and picture from external input. Frankly though I think if I was going to go to that end, I'd probably just buy something built for in-car video.
For the cost though, the Aiptek seems like a quite good low-end solution.

The camera records the video to a .mov file. Didn't want to upload the entire boring sequence of me turning the thing on, backing out of my craptacular garage,... So I pulled it into Moviemaker, selected a sequence, and then output it as WMV (because that's what Moviemaker wanted to do). So there's multiple conversions here, and still it looks pretty good I think.

Here's a link to someone who's done some mods to the camera, including a wide angle lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...14&forum_id=92

The lens might be worth looking into.

Hope you guys find this helpful. Later this month I'm most likely going to the track (TWS). I'll shoot & post some video with the camera so you can see how it works under those conditions.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmag
Mark - Just an FYI with www.newworldvideodirect.com. That's where I originally ordered my wide angle lens from. Great prices, but could never deliver a product. After 6 weeks, canceled order, and got lens from somewhere else (a little more expensive, but received it in 3 days). Just make sure they have it actually in stock.
Thanks, Ryan. I'll PM you when I need to get a WA lens.

Originally Posted by Bull
Mark, this is similar to the JVC that I have from Best Buy, except mine is 20GB, and it sounds like they continue to give out bad information! Like Tom, I ended up using mine to record to SD cards, where i have had no problems with shake and vibration. If you have the big battery and the large SD cards, these work fine.
Thanks for the great info, Bob. Have you had any challenges with burning to a DVD or with files? What kind of files does it record? Lastly, have you been happy with the quality of the recordings?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the great info, Bob. Have you had any challenges with burning to a DVD or with files? What kind of files does it record? Lastly, have you been happy with the quality of the recordings?
No problem with files, but i haven't burned any DVDs yet. They are MOD files. The quality of the recording is very good.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bob. You mean MOV files, I suppose?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Bob. You mean MOV files, I suppose?
Yes, sorry.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of questions, guys. Here goes . . .
Ron,
How long have you been using this camera? Have you ever had it shut down? How wide is the lens? (Same questions as above.)
Have you used this on the track?
I've used the camera on the track many times and it's never shut down. You just have to be careful to make sure you turn it on correctly (meaning turn on, press the shutter button to make sure it's recording).

It's a fairly wide angle so I get everything I'm interested in. Not perfect, but I had the camera so the investment of $75 into the mount was cheap and I figured if the SD700IS didn't do the trick, I'd buy something else to put on that mount.

Originally Posted by bk12
Ron,

This sounds like a great setup....do you have the sport seats with the hard plastic back? If not, what seat material are you sticking it to?
Yes, sport seats with hard back. I can adjust quite a few ways by positioning the seat.

Attached is a screen shot from my set up... 145 heading toward the bus stop at WGI.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Ron, thanks for the information.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

I agree with Bull above. The camera has never shut off with vibration issues when using the SD cards.

The 16:9 mode looks fine on a regular TV (letterbox format) or on a HDTV, even though this is not an HiDef camera. It costs much less than an HD camera as well.

The HD (hard drive) function works well when NOT in the car, and it also takes reasonably good still photos.

Whatever you choose, I think if the lens gives you the field of view you want, you are far better off than using a wide angle adapter.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:02 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the great thread. I have the JVC Everio hard disc camera. It would shut down immediately when attached to my roll bar with IO Port mount. I guess I can cross "new video camera" off my b-day wish list to the wife. I never thought of recording to the SD card. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Tom, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to Mike [mglobe] who provided some raw output video from the Aiptek AHD720p camera, I've had a chance to look at its native output video format. There's no doubt that this is an impressive little camera, and its the FIRST we've seen that produces genuine 720p HD format at this price point.

If you're willing to do some tweaking to get external audio, this is an great low-cost solution.
The short test video clip is HERE
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up an Aiptek camera (AHD 720p) for $138 at Circuit City....anxious to get it mounted up and taken to the track! It is a pretty cool toy for the money.

Let me know if you figure out how to tweak the audio. The mic is very easily overdriven based on the little testing I have done, I am going to try to put some things over the input to tone it down. If anyone figures out a more technical method of fixing the mic on this type of unit, please let me know.

Quick Reply: track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?