Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I just got one of these:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

Records an HD picture to an SD card. I've been toying around with it over the holiday break. The picture is very good. The sound is so far not so good. I've been hanging it from the rear window, & the wind noise saturates the microphone. I'm sure if I put it on the front window I would not have that problem, but I would prefer to have my hands (actually just right hand) in the picture. Still experimenting with ways to improve the sound. BTW, it can be had for a fair amount less than msrp.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using my "cheapo" Canon SD700IS with a 2 GB card. You can set resolution (I have it low) and can get about 2 hours recording on it at a time. It takes great video for what it is - a pocket cam. I use a suction cup mount that's attached to the back shell of the passenger seat. Pluses are it has image stabilization, doesn't shut down, can be adjusted (zoom, recording quality, etc.). I could also get a 4 GB chip to double recording time. It's also nice to be able to take it out between sessions and snap some stills.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 PM
jimmc8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've been using my "cheapo" Canon SD700IS with a 2 GB card. . . . I use a suction cup mount that's attached to the back shell of the passenger seat. . . .
Hey Ron, what kind of a mount are you using that will stick on the seat. How's about a pic of the setup?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's what I use - adjusts every which way, and the suction is extremely strong. Holds like a vice onto the back shell of my 997 seat.
http://www.filmtools.com/gripsuccupca.html
I don't think I got it from these guys - I think I found it elsewhere for about $75. Search around google...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
I just got one of these:

Records an HD picture to an SD card. I've been toying around with it over the holiday break. The picture is very good. The sound is so far not so good. I've been hanging it from the rear window, & the wind noise saturates the microphone. I'm sure if I put it on the front window I would not have that problem, but I would prefer to have my hands (actually just right hand) in the picture. Still experimenting with ways to improve the sound. BTW, it can be had for a fair amount less than msrp.
That's the same digital camera that I got recently. It used SD-HC cards, and supports up to 32GB cards. (Most of the current digi-cams support up to 2GB cards - nothing more.) I bought a 4GB card, and that is supposed to be good for 2 hours of recording time. Lithium battery lasts 90 minutes, but can be recharged via power chord or PC/USB. I'm hoping to get a chance to test it out soon -- just need to buy a camera mount for my rollbar in the Porsche...

-Z-man.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I recently bought the Aiptek HD as well. I haven't used it in the car yet but based on what I read about other Aiptek cameras in track cars I'm expecting good things.

I got it for $119 at Target (on sale) and my 4GB SanDisk SDHC card was $24 on fleabay.

It has an AV in port but not sure what specs are for it.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a ChaseCam convert. I used to use a Sony DV camcorder (tape) but it was a pain and it broke due to the vibration after 2 seasons. The ChaseCam is a bit more expensive to get than some of the cheap digital recorders, but it is robust and works well in a race car. I use 4 Gb or 12 Gb CF cards and they hold more than a days worth of racing at the highest resolution.

A ChaseCam coupled with data system (Traqmate or otherwise) makes a pretty nice system to record your driving events. Look at the Thunderhill race here for an example of a ChaseCam with data looks like. This was an earlier video attempt and I had not designed a dsahboard that would not obscure the PIP (not to mention thet I had bumped the 2nd camera for the PIP). But, you'll get the idea.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:51 PM
jimmc8
Advanced

Here's what I use - adjusts every which way, and the suction is extremely strong. Holds like a vice onto the back shell of my 997 seat.
http://www.filmtools.com/gripsuccupca.html
I don't think I got it from these guys - I think I found it elsewhere for about $75. Search around google...
Thanks so much.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

looks like there's a lot of good feedback here. i'll add my 2 cents.

i just got a panasonic HDC-SD1 for a recent hawaii vacation. it's an HD camera that records to SD HC memory. i've been using 8GB cards which gives you about 80 minutes of recording in HD quality... 160 minutes if you are recording in half the resolution. however, the card outlasts the battery (around 40 minutes) so you have to keep feeding it fresh batteries. there may be a way to hard wire it to DC though.

i think out of all these systems mentioned, from cheap to expensive, the major concern is wind noise. if the camera does not have an external mic port then get ready for tons of wind noise in your playback. fortunately for me, my SD1 does have a mic port so i can attach the business end to an area of the car without that much wind.

next step is to tie in the video with my Aim data ac using trackvision.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the chase cam!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Does the Aiptek HD have a tripod mount? And does anyone know if a remote can be purchased. Doesn't seem like it based on the website. Other then that it looks like a good deal.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It does have a tripod mount, and there is a remote available for 9.99. The remote can start and stop the camera, but from what I understand, it can power it on and/or off.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Lots of questions, guys. Here goes . . .

Originally Posted by mglobe
I just got one of these:

How wide of an angle does the lens cover? If the camera were installed in the traditional place in between the driver and passenger seat, is the lens wide enought to see the steering wheel?

Also, I didn't see any accessory wide angle lens adapters that could be fitted.

I've been using my "cheapo" Canon SD700IS with a 2 GB card. You can set resolution (I have it low) and can get about 2 hours recording on it at a time. It takes great video for what it is - a pocket cam. I use a suction cup mount that's attached to the back shell of the passenger seat. Pluses are it has image stabilization, doesn't shut down, can be adjusted (zoom, recording quality, etc.). I could also get a 4 GB chip to double recording time. It's also nice to be able to take it out between sessions and snap some stills.
Ron,

How long have you been using this camera? Have you ever had it shut down? How wide is the lens? (Same questions as above.)

Originally Posted by karlooz
looks like there's a lot of good feedback here. i'll add my 2 cents.

i just got a panasonic HDC-SD1 for a recent hawaii vacation. it's an HD camera that records to SD HC memory. i've been using 8GB cards which gives you about 80 minutes of recording in HD quality... 160 minutes if you are recording in half the resolution. however, the card outlasts the battery (around 40 minutes) so you have to keep feeding it fresh batteries. there may be a way to hard wire it to DC though.

i think out of all these systems mentioned, from cheap to expensive, the major concern is wind noise. if the camera does not have an external mic port then get ready for tons of wind noise in your playback. fortunately for me, my SD1 does have a mic port so i can attach the business end to an area of the car without that much wind.

next step is to tie in the video with my Aim data ac using trackvision.
Have you used this on the track?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
How wide of an angle does the lens cover? If the camera were installed in the traditional place in between the driver and passenger seat, is the lens wide enought to see the steering wheel?
The AIPTEK lens is a 50mm fixed lens. Haven't put it in my car yet, so I can't really tell you how much of the driver/steering wheel is viewable in the "standard" camera location. Will check shortly.

-Z-man.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:17 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

The Aiptec is very interesting, but the lack of external audio kills it for in-car applications.

The Sony HDR-CX7 is a really capable SD-based HD camera, avaliable for less than $1000.
Here are some details - HDR-CX7 Review

The ChaseCam is a nice unit, but lack of 16:9 and any HD capability is a limitation.

External audio, 16:9, and HD capability might seem like nit picks today, but .........

Quick Reply: track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?