Sponsored by:

Need new belts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006 | 10:49 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Need new belts

My 5 point Simpson camlock belts are expired in a few months, so I'm in the market.

Here is waht I've been looking at:

Platinum series camlock belts are $250.00
G-Force Pro Series is a 6 point system for around $135.00.
Sparco 6 Point Harness is around $240.00

So why would I not buy a set of G-Force belts?
Old 12-20-2006 | 10:51 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

John,
Have you contacted Simpson about re webbing the belts? I did that with my last set (UltraShield) and I think it cost 90.00 or so. Got a new set of SFI stickers and was good to go. Might want to give them a buzz.
Old 12-20-2006 | 10:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Comfort?
Webbing (nylon vs polyester) w.r.to. UV resistance?
FIA certification (if necessary)?
Camlock vs Duckbill?
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:10 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Is there a real difference in comfort on 3" belts? Anyone compared the one's I mentioned?
Since my car sits in the garage or under a cover, the exposure to the sun is min. and they get replaced in 5 years, so I don't think that is a concern. G-Force states a polyester webbing.
All I need is SFI for PCA racing. G-Force are also FIA approved in the pull down setup.
All are Cam lock

I had this set re-webbed by Simpson 5 years ago. I thought Simpson stopped doing that?
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

If you wear a HANS, please make sure you get the belts with 2" width where they are in contact with the HANS. Schroth started this trend, and others are following, I believe.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:16 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm an ISAAC user, but thanks.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:30 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

the 2 inch Hans belts are a gimmic. Hans says 3 inch belts are fine and it is OK for the belt to overlap the winged portion of the Hans. Contact Hans to confirm. This information is from Hans directly. I use Schroth 6 point belts with 3 inch uppers and 2 inch lap belts.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:36 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

I'd vote for Schroth Profi II....nice belts...pull up lap belt option is great.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Maybe...However, it is a LOT easier for the 2" belts to be secured properly and quickly (key in an enduro driver change....ask me how I know...), and to not move off the HANS wings, than the 3" belts.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:39 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd vote for Schroth Profi II
They are nice, but what do they offer over the G-Force belt?
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:53 AM
Adam M
Track Day

Originally Posted by John Veninger
<snip>
I had this set re-webbed by Simpson 5 years ago. I thought Simpson stopped doing that?
Yes, Simpson does NOT re-web anymore. Ask me how I know.

I had sent in one set and they did it. Several months later I sent in the passenger side (after the Dale Enhart incident).

Re-webbing is fine and inexpensive compared to having to buy a whole new set. I will not buy Simpsons again. I would suggest that you check into which brands will still re-web in the future!
Old 12-20-2006 | 01:06 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Simpson doesn't reweb but when I contacted them a few months ago they said they will give you some credit towards a new set of belts if you cut off the SFI tags and send them in. M&R and Crow can reweb the belts for you, and should allow you to convert the belts to 6 points too. Unfortunately none of the above companies offer FIA rated belts - FIA belts only need to be replaced every 5 years, while SFI belts are every 2. G-Force has some FIA belts (not all models though so you must verify with them).

If you are on a budget I'd get one of the companies I mentioned to reweb your belts, or get some G-Force FIA rated belts. If you have some more money to spend you should get some Schroth or Sparco (same thing) FIA rated 6 points, their latches and overall quality is a lot nicer than any of the above companies but they are more expensive.
Old 12-20-2006 | 01:27 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AndyT
the 2 inch Hans belts are a gimmic. Hans says 3 inch belts are fine and it is OK for the belt to overlap the winged portion of the Hans. Contact Hans to confirm. This information is from Hans directly. I use Schroth 6 point belts with 3 inch uppers and 2 inch lap belts.
+1, everyone I've talked to says the 3" works fine if you have the belts/mounted properly. I'm getting the Schroth Profi II(2" lap, 3" shoulders...)
Old 12-20-2006 | 01:36 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyT
Caveat;

IF you have proper belt architecture. First you have to know what that is, then you have to configure everything to meet it. IF you have this, then the 3" work fine. I had them for a couple of years using my HANS and had no issues whatever. I now have Schroth 3/2 Hybrid and it works well also.

A lot of people do not have proper belt architecture to start with, let alone for HANS use.
Old 12-20-2006 | 01:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Depends on your budget, John;

I don't think anyone can hold a candle to the Schroth Hybrid system. Tops in function, quality, and safety right now. Sparco was supposed to be re-branding and selling Schroth, but their website still shows the old stuff. The Schroth Profi system is also quite good, and a bit cheaper.

The big key to the Schroth effectiveness in terms of "use-ability" is the slide adjust sub straps. Very comfortable, and easy to get proper adjustment. having said that, they are a bit more time consuming to put on that generic "V" subs.

Next, I'd look at the Simpson Platinum DSL. It is also high quality, and should have good performance numbers.

After that, it is all pretty generic stuff with no real advantage save for cost..

Quick Reply: Need new belts