Sponsored by:

R-3 head and neck restraint??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy R-3 head and neck restraint??

Getting ready to get a H+N restraint. Dont know much more about them other than I should get one?
The HANS is my first choice but since held in by the harnesses ? a potential weak point?
Issac, anyone? I have never seen one.
R-3, was considering this cause you can use it in your students car without the harness. Looks uncomfortable, anyone using this?

What is the level of concern for these devices when in a students car with no harnesses.

Your experienced input would be appreciated. As of now I am leaning toward the HANS, but not sure what you guys do with the student thing? And the R-3 seems the most structurally intact but man looks uncomfortable and you need a "pillow" for other cars for the back piece??

thanks and Happy Holidays!!!
tom
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom,

YES! YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE USING A H&N.

All of the H&N restraints you mentioned, plus a few others, have been discussed numerous times in this forum:
HANS www.hansdevice.com
ISAAC www.isaacdirect.com
R3 (original and updates) http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item....yaccessories60
Leatt http://www.leatt-brace.com/
Hutchens (multiple versions)http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item....yaccessories60
Wright
White http://www.speedwaysafetyequipment.c...restraint.html
D-Cel http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item....yaccessories60

and others.

I would suggest a search for "H&N"....I got 37 returns in this forum alone from theads I replied to.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:52 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only used my R3 for (5) track days so far, no complaints about being uncomfortable. I use it with an Sparco Evo seat and no additional back pad for comfort.

It was a mother huncher getting used to less head travel but after 2 sessions I adapted.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:03 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, as a new instructor for SunCoast and your interest in SuperSolo, we suggest having as much safety equipment as possible. I use one as does most of my friends. I got one @ Sebring when a good friend of mine hit the inside wall at T16. He said if it were not for the HANS, he would have had serious problems. He was sore around the upper chest, but his neck was OK. At that very instant, I went to the vendor @ Sebring and bought it and he installed it.
It does take some getting used to, but you get used to it.
Keep in mind that for most of your students, you will not be able to use the HANS because of their seats and lack of harness fitments.
Happy holidays,
Bob
Old 12-19-2006, 05:23 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks Lewis, I will scan those sites also. Was really wondering if instructors were getting the R-3 so they could use it in cars without a harness??
thanks Brent...
Bob, thanks, will I see you at Moroso??

Happy Holidays to all!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:37 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

I have a HANS and can't imagine driving without one now. I personally like using the same product I see all pros use, as I know it is well tested under real conditions (ie real crashes, not seld crashes). When you see Joey Hand and Katherine Legg both walk away from horrific crashes, it gives you peace of mind that the product really works.

I think there was a recent thread that stated the R-3 is not really to be used with 3 point belts, so I am not sure how useful it will be for instructing.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:43 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R3 works with factory 3 point seat belts. And track instructors can safely use the R3 in students’ cars that only have 3 point seat belts. People die of basilar skull fracture on the street with 3 point seat belts, and that is what an R3 is design to prevent. This comes directly from the Trevor Ashline the designer of the R3.

If you have any question send me an email; I am a dealer for the R3.

David Katz
TRACSAFE
tracsafe@comcast.net
Old 12-19-2006, 05:53 PM
MDL
Racer

I have been looking into a H&N as well. I tried on a HANS for the first time at Sebring. Craig Popov from Wine Country Motorsports was very helpful. No doubt it has saved many lives, but it seemed to me that the R3 2007 version and the Hutchins Hybrid were a better set up. I could not understand why there are so many HANS and so few R3's and Hutchins Hybrids. The answer is the R3 and Hutchins Hybrid are not NASCAR or FIA approved yet. Not that I'm going NASCAR or F1 racing anytime soon, I was just curious why no one is using them when their sled test numbers are so much better than the HANS. I understand they were designed by the same company and are currently seeking approval from both organisations. The R3 and Hutchins Hybrid look very similar except the Hybrid does not require a seat pad. I'm sure that any of the 3 would serve my purpose in DE just fine. I just want to be able to determine which is the safest.

Dan.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:00 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MDL
I'm sure that any of the 3 would serve my purpose in DE just fine. I just want to be able to determine which is the safest.

Dan.

This is like the "Ginger vs. Mary Ann" debate. Either of the choices would suit you fine on the deserted island.

Key is buy on and use it. I think any of the three will suit your DE needs. I don't like going on the track without one.

Cue gbaker in 3...2...1...

And I pick Ginger by the way.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I have an R3 - used it all last season - while driving as well as when instructing. It is one of the few H&N restraint devices that can be used without a 5/6 point harness system.

Is the R3 as effective with a stock 3-point seat belt as it is with a 5/6 point harness system? I don't know, but I do know that it will keep my neck in close proximity to my head in the event of an accident regardless of what type of harness or seat belt I'm using.

If this least season is any gauge, about 75% of my track time was sitting in the passenger's seat. More than half of that time was in a car without a 5/6 point harness setup. So a significant amount of my time on the track is spent in a car without racing harnesses. HANS and Isaac won't help in those situations, but an R3, and I believe the new Hutchens will.

If you are going to spend a significant amount of time on the track in cars other than yours or those with similar harnesses as your car, a transportable device like the R3 is a better choice, IMHO.
-Z-man.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by f1rocks

I'm a Ginger guy too, for the record.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by gbaker
I'm a Ginger guy too, for the record.

Definitely Mary Ann...Ginger looks like she's "been around"
Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by f1rocks
This is like the "Ginger vs. Mary Ann" debate. Either of the choices would suit you fine on the deserted island.

Key is buy on and use it. I think any of the three will suit your DE needs. I don't like going on the track without one.

x2

I want Ginger and Mary Ann . . .at the same time. It may not be safer, but I bet it would be fun. Think outside the box!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by TD in DC
x2

I want Ginger and Mary Ann . . .at the same time. It may not be safer, but I bet it would be fun. Think outside the box!
Now that WOULD require a H&N devise.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Jeannie. Trumps Samantha (Bewitched), Ginger and Mary Ann. Hands down.

AND: you don't need a H&N restraint device - she'll just blink you out of the car and out of harm's way if trouble arises. I'd like to see Ginger or Mary Ann do that!
-Z-man.

Quick Reply: R-3 head and neck restraint??