Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R-3 head and neck restraint??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006 | 06:54 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I wouldn't be above inviting Jeannie and Samantha along with Ginger and Mary Ann. Why is everything always a choice? As I said, think outside the box.
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Z-man
I have an R3 - used it all last season - while driving as well as when instructing. It is one of the few H&N restraint devices that can be used without a 5/6 point harness system.
Actually, a quick review of the commercially available H&N systems, almost half can be worn without a 5/6/7 point harness (i.e. attach directly to the user).
Old 12-19-2006 | 09:35 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

well for DE and instructing something that works without the harness would be best for me.

What will the R-3 do to the students GT3 seats?? cause any "rubbing or scraping" damage the backs have a lot of "stuff" back there?
Old 12-19-2006 | 09:58 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

tkerrmd you have a PM
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I wouldn't be above inviting Jeannie and Samantha along with Ginger and Mary Ann. Why is everything always a choice? As I said, think outside the box.
Oh, I don't believe you are thinking "outside..." in this case son!
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:28 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

You know this has been the best H&N restraint thread in weeks.....
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
You know this has been the best H&N restraint thread in weeks.....

Has it been that long?
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

x2

I want Ginger and Mary Ann . . .at the same time. It may not be safer, but I bet it would be fun. Think outside the box!

Ahem....speaking of boxes....

Old 12-19-2006 | 11:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bull
Oh, I don't believe you are thinking "outside..." in this case son!
Wrong my friend . . . you have to think while you are outside the box, because you sure as heck aren't thinking while you are in the box, or even anywhere in close proximity!
Old 12-19-2006 | 11:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ahem....speaking of boxes....

Ed Zachary
Old 12-20-2006 | 09:37 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

x2I want Ginger and Mary Ann . . .at the same time.
A TD sandwich!
Old 12-20-2006 | 09:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
well for DE and instructing something that works without the harness would be best for me.
There are currently about 4 devices that meet that criterion, the R3 being included.

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
What will the R-3 do to the students GT3 seats?? cause any "rubbing or scraping" damage the backs have a lot of "stuff" back there?
The back is fairly smooth and should not cause any damage.
Old 12-20-2006 | 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

My $0.02 here, for what it's worth:

When instructing in a DE, I do not worry about wearing any H&N restraint. Frankly, it would be too much of a pain in the ***, as I am often in several cars in rapid succession (coaching, check rides, etc.) and getting in & out with any H&N non would take more time than I have available between sessions.

Also, IMO, a DE environment is not the same as racing, and presents very few real dangers. And frankly, if I am with a student who makes we wish I had a H&N restraint on, I usually bring him/her in for some verbal coaching before getting back on track. Thankfully, this has only happened twice.

That said, for racing or any timed event, I will wear a HANS, as, IMO, it is the best, most effective & reliable solution.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-20-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2006 | 10:48 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
My $0.02 here, for what it's worth:

When instructing in a DE, I do not worry about wearing any H&N restraint. Frankly, it would be too much of a pain in the ***, as I am often in several cars in rapid succession (coaching, check rides, etc.) and getting in & out with any H&N non would take more time than I have available between sessions.

Also, IMO, a DE environment is not the same as racing, and presents very few real dangers. And frankly, if I am with a student who makes we wish I had a H&N restraint on, I usually bring him/her in for some verbal coaching before getting back on track. Thankfully, this has only happened twice.

That said, for racing or any timed event, I will wear a HANS, as, IMO, it is the best, most effective & reliable solution.
Anything can happen on a racetrack - even in DE's. I always use my R3 - and if I'm hopping in and out of cars and forget to bring along my seat insert thingy, I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable without the insert than sit in a car without it. And it's really not that uncomfortable, espeically with stock seats.

Why take the risk? It's like keeping that box of condoms in the nightstand because it disrupts the flow. (Ok - that was a very bad pun). Cue TD, Ginger and Mary Ann.

-Z-man.
Old 12-20-2006 | 10:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Well, to each their own. I have invested a lot of money in my HANS, and really don't want another H&N system as well. To me, it is a calculated risk appropriate for the environment.

Quick Reply: R-3 head and neck restraint??