Sponsored by:

Instructing - Heel and Toe

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
But I still do not understand/believe that even a tiny amount of engine braking would have any effect on rear brake temps. I have a suspicion that the data you saw may have been related to driver style & braking inputs.
You can choose to believe whatever you wish. The data showed similar brake pressures and profiles. Other corners were pretty much identical between the drivers. I tend to believe the data but would like to see more data points to better understand it though I can not completely explain it.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Was there any divergence among front brake temps between rowing the gears & skipping them?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:40 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Was there any divergence among front brake temps between rowing the gears & skipping them?
We did not spend a lot of time on those data charts, but it appeared they were pretty much the same.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:15 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Using the motor to slow down? Um - like Racer pointed out - maybe on cars from the 50's and 60's, but it really isn't a good idea to use the tranny to help you slow down.
Well, but don't take what I said out of total context. I pride myself on being a very smooth driver. My comment about the motor giving me the last little bit of braking is just that. Its a just above the appropriate speed, in gear, last bit of total braking to assist the brakes, not to take the place of them. At VIR in 1 lets say, when you are out drivers left (edge of track for strait line braking), there is no room or way to trail brake without the likely possibility of either spinning because the rearend is unloaded so badly, or not turning at all because the tires are past the point of proper adheasion. I'm talking about serious braking (ABS kicking in and all), the motor is the last resort

But I agree, rotors (even on big reds) are cheaper than trannies
Old 12-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Back to the topic at hand, FWIW at Skippy school they have the students hold the car with the brake on a hill in neutral while blipping the throttle to teach the right movement as well as maintaining the brake pressure. They also teach pinching the right knee inward so the rolling of the foot can be easily accomplished by moving the knee back to the right/outside.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:49 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Well, but don't take what I said out of total context. I pride myself on being a very smooth driver. My comment about the motor giving me the last little bit of braking is just that. Its a just above the appropriate speed, in gear, last bit of total braking to assist the brakes, not to take the place of them. At VIR in 1 lets say, when you are out drivers left (edge of track for strait line braking), there is no room or way to trail brake without the likely possibility of either spinning because the rearend is unloaded so badly, or not turning at all because the tires are past the point of proper adheasion. I'm talking about serious braking (ABS kicking in and all), the motor is the last resort

But I agree, rotors (even on big reds) are cheaper than trannies
Agree. When you are in gear, clutch out and release the throttle. you get engine braking. An engine is a big pump and when you close the air inlet, it saps enery to continue to spin - regardless of rpm. At higher rpm it takes more energy. Whether you think you have it or not, you are getting engine braking in any normal downshift. and it is going to have an impact.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
We did not spend a lot of time on those data charts, but it appeared they were pretty much the same.

Hmmm. Well, maybe it's a rear-engined thing.

I gues when I start sufferenign from rear brake fade, I will worry about it! Until then, I will attribute it to driver style. Why do I say this? Because a LOT of drivers will not maintain constant pressure on the brake pedal when rapidly blipping the throttle in succession. I know that I used to suffer from this until I consciously trained myself to separate what the laft part of my right foot does from what the right part of my right foot does.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:08 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Agree. When you are in gear, clutch out and release the throttle. you get engine braking. An engine is a big pump and when you close the air inlet, it saps enery to continue to spin - regardless of rpm. At higher rpm it takes more energy. Whether you think you have it or not, you are getting engine braking in any normal downshift. and it is going to have an impact.
Which is also why in a somewhat stock RWD car (e.g., non-adjustable brake bias) it seems like the brake bias is off (i.e., too much to the front brakes) if you try to threshold brake with the clutch pedal depressed . . .
Old 04-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this thread is few months old, but here are some awesome "heel to toe" foot work videos.

Clip 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu7UO9K4Quo

Clip 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VjgbvpyCp8

Quick Reply: Instructing - Heel and Toe