Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that i'm in Black and don't need any further instruction....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Now that i'm in Black and don't need any further instruction....

.. and I have some Arizona swampland for sale..

I was thinking of my last few runs where I took an instructor out with me. They all added something to my toolbox but what I found in my case is that I can't chew gum and drive well at the same time anymore. I used to be able to chit-chat and follow instruction on-the-fly (Green/Yellow speeds) but when I try and talk, change something, and maintain concentration my driving always suffers now. Must be interesting to the instructors... Anyway, I was thinking (cause i'm bored with the cold already) about next season and what I can do to maximize the great instructor pool always ready to help and the time I get with one. The best I can come up with is to go over my inability to split my concentration with him/her first thing and then come up with a plan. I'm thinking run my normal run while they observe and pit in for a quick talk taking each part of the course a chunk at a time (let's say wherever i'm the worst). Go back out and work on the one thing for at least a few laps and repeat if/when I succeed in "mastering" it.

Are most of you just able to listen/do it/move on at this point? I'd be interested to hear input, even if it's about Ginkgo Balboa...
Old 12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R
Anyway, I was thinking (cause i'm bored with the cold already) about next season and what I can do to maximize the great instructor pool always ready to help and the time I get with one.
A stack of $20's about an inch high is a good start.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh...

Dear Professor. Always quick to cut to the root. Getting ready for ice season, Prof?

Gary, simple answer; seat time. As you say, you have some new tricks to work on. There are few of us that can maintain complete concentration when we are at once working on something outside our experience, and being talked to about it.

If the conscious can invade what should be a subconscious demonstration, and the task of the moment be altered by this, then the performer is outside their comfort zone. Striking up conversations at inopportune moments with prospective instructors is a method I have fiendishly employed quite often to judge their level of competance. Yes, quite devious, I know, but also quite informative. Pulling out a pen and paper also yields interesting results!

You might make them aware - in a friendly way - that excess chatter is distracting to you. That you would do much better to receive information regarding a certain point, and be left to play with it in relative silence. If they restricted their input thusly to simple, distilled commands, it would improve your absorbtion of these points. You might even ask them to watch in silence as you present your efforts for review, and then receive a debrief after the session.

I wouldn't get too worked up over a few flubs when you are trying new things. Join the rest of us, eh?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:08 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Anyway, I was thinking (cause i'm bored with the cold already) about next season and what I can do to maximize the great instructor pool always ready to help and the time I get with one.

I would start by choosing the people you take out. In CVR Roger Funk, Dan Jacobs, Bill Farrell and Chris Reinsborough are all good choices. Dave Vacarro, though a skirt wearing DE-only turbo driver, is also good choice (maybe this post will get him to post and stop just lurking...). I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Point is, don't just take out anyone. You are almost certainly faster/better than many instructors, so choose wisely, as some will give you bad advice.

Second, I would start to identify the fast people in similar cars. In G, you should be watching Bill Richter and Mike Iappaluccio. If you are not driving youself, come to the Lime Rock race and watch their line. See where it is different from yours. Better yet, drive in the race. Given that you are in the same class, you will know exactly where stand, and how much room for improvement you have. I am sure both would be willing to help you...well, at least until you start to get too close .

Third, do some different events. I personally would say to try to do at least 3-4 races next year. But if you don't feel ready for that yet (though you are), try some of the open events like the HCR upper run at WG. THe HCR event will allow you to ride with some really good drivers (Bob Scotto, etc.) to get of sense of what they do. You could also do the DE portions of some of the bigger races like Sebring or Road America. It will start to get you more exposed to racing, and give you an idea what to expect. Personally, I say you are ready to just dive in and race.

Fourth, I would hire a pro like David Murry, Boris Said, etc for a few runs. The HCR event normally has at least one pro, and sometimes two available. Have them drive your car with you riding. Have he camera and timer going so you can get a sense of speed.

As for being able to talk while driving, no one can do it while at 10/10ths. Even pros will take a sec to answer a radio call if they are in a heated battle. What you want to do is raise you threshold so you can chat when you are at 9/10ths, which is the typical enduro pace. One way to do that is to get a set of in car radios, and chat with your pit/friends while driving. It also make the whole event more fun for the kids/wife to be able to talk to dad while on track.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
If the conscious can invade what should be a subconscious demonstration, and the task of the moment be altered by this, then the performer is outside their comfort zone. Striking up conversations at inopportune moments with prospective instructors is a method I have fiendishly employed quite often to judge their level of competance. Yes, quite devious, I know, but also quite informative. Pulling out a pen and paper also yields interesting results!
I think Dan Jacob's used this methodology on me a while back, talking about a redhea... I digress. Thanks RedlineMan, I sure know I have a slew of rungs on the ladder ahead of me!

Originally Posted by 38D
Dave Vacarro, though a skirt wearing DE-only turbo driver.
I cried I was laughing so hard at that one Colin!!!!!!! I see Dave quite often at Dan J's shop, can't WAIT for the next time I see him! I have had all but Bill Farrell and Roger in my car, Chris only for 10 minutes. I do try and *choose* instructors/racers with similar cars whenever possible. I would have had YOU if we could have gotten our plans right in Nov...

Originally Posted by 38D
Second, I would start to identify the fast people in similar cars. In G, you should be watching Bill Richter and Mike Iappaluccio. If you are not driving youself, come to the Lime Rock race and watch their line. See where it is different from yours. Better yet, drive in the race. Given that you are in the same class, you will know exactly where stand, and how much room for improvement you have. I am sure both would be willing to help you...well, at least until you start to get too close .
I am all set to enter the Club Race at LRP this spring and am SURE I will be taken to school there!

Originally Posted by 38D
Third, do some different events. I personally would say to try to do at least 3-4 races next year. But if you don't feel ready for that yet (though you are), try some of the open events like the HCR upper run at WG. THe HCR event will allow you to ride with some really good drivers (Bob Scotto, etc.) to get of sense of what they do. You could also do the DE portions of some of the bigger races like Sebring or Road America. It will start to get you more exposed to racing, and give you an idea what to expect. Personally, I say you are ready to just dive in and race.
That's just because I went off in the "manly area" of Big Bend! Seriosly, I VERY much appreciate your vote of confidence.. I'll make a point of being at Cups and Saucers in 2007, sounds like a great time at a fantastic track.

Originally Posted by 38D
As for being able to talk while driving, no one can do it while at 10/10ths. Even pros will take a sec to answer a radio call if they are in a heated battle. What you want to do is raise you threshold so you can chat when you are at 9/10ths, which is the typical enduro pace. One way to do that is to get a set of in car radios, and chat with your pit/friends while driving. It also make the whole event more fun for the kids/wife to be able to talk to dad while on track.
And that makes me feel better. I guess the reality is my level of concentration earlier on was such that I could talk about the last Green Bay game but now I have trouble venturing outside of my "zone" while at speed..

Good to hear it's most likely a natural occurance in the ongoing learning curve.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you taking video on track? May be a good way to analyze in a more relaxed manor??
Old 12-06-2006, 04:57 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, what idiot let YOU in Black!?!?!?

I mean, you can't even chew gum and drive at the same time. I bet you can't use your cell phone, drink coffee, change a CD, put on your make up (Nancy-boy), or check email on the BlackBerry all while driving. And you call yourself a driver!? We have standards you know!!!!!!

Just kidding.

Good to know you find it challenging as well. Last session out, Roger Funk asks me to self-assess. I swear it took me a couple turns before I could even respond, and do so marginally at that.

I think you answered the question: Tell them to hold their comments until maybe you pit, then review. That's just how you learn, and you obviously do want to keep learning. Then go back out, and you know, use your cell phone, enjoy your coffee, lipstick ....

Thanks for the visual, Colin, of Dave in a skirt. Oh THAT was funny !!!!! Yeah, that one's going to come back and bite you.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 199 Posts

Find a indoor go kart track over the winter !
Old 12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Are you taking video on track? May be a good way to analyze in a more relaxed manor??
Yes, I am. I usually know when I mess up, and in my videos you can see me shake my head at myself when it happens.
Don't get me wrong from my original prose, I *can* put into practice what i'm being told, just find it very awkward to do WHEN I am being told. Of course there are times when the suggestion given is not the best action for my particular car and driving style either. Most instructors i've had this past year seemed to enjoy experimenting with me (racing/DE lines/entry speed/exit speed/etc) once they get a feel for my car and my ability, which in turn I enjoy a great deal. It's usually the runs *following* an instructed run when i'm solo that I truly absorb the input, put it into play, and decide wether it's working for me or not.

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Find a indoor go kart track over the winter !
Gregg - I absolutely plan on hitting the indoor tracks near me this winter (Wallingford, CT), hopr to get a bunch of guys to go.

Originally Posted by purplehaze.
First of all, what idiot let YOU in Black!?!?!?
You can officially blame the team of Chris Reinsborough and Gary Hanson!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

You can officially blame the team of Chris Reinsborough and Gary Hanson!
Good guys both! I'll ask for their input early next year. So, how much did you pay them, just so I don't over-tip?

It's usually the runs *following* an instructed run when i'm solo that I truly absorb the input, put it into play, and decide wether it's working for me or not.
Gary -

I agree and have found the same.

I think it's great to get their input, and then we go practice it solo. That's where it really either sticks or is rejected.

I also found just the weight of another instructor in the car, something to get used to. My car turns into left handers better with a passenger, much differently than when solo. So, the line that works with them is actually slightly different when they exit. Now go race so I can live vicariously, and post your video!!!! You're humble, but you're FASSSSSSSST!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

So Gary, you must be shaking your head in Big Bend in those videos. Seems like it's your favorite place to try "new" lines (sometimes involving grass and large bodies of water)
Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Dear Professor. Always quick to cut to the root. Getting ready for ice season, Prof?
Haven't wandered out to that section of the woods in a few months...the "Menards" car (scary-fast ice tires) is too rusty. Probably run 'street stud' classes this year.

But first...the water needs to get hard.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Actually the head shaking in that case was me shaking WATER and TWIGS off of my helmet like a shaggy dog after a bath..... and I wish I DID have a video of that, love to see what my tach read mid corner on that one. I know it was pushing 5K in 3rd, whatever it was it was about 500RPM too much!

Sean - You know that by making the comment you've given fate a little "tweak" don't you? And fate doesn't like being tweaked!

Read this after I posted..
Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Haven't wandered out to that section of the woods in a few months...the "Menards" car (scary-fast ice tires) is too rusty. Probably run 'street stud' classes this year. But first...the water needs to get hard.
I thought he was talking about where I parked in the woods at LRP!

Last edited by Gary R.; 12-06-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Want to be able to talk and drive, try talking to your self while you drive, which I do constantly. Then, when someone is in the car with you, just talk out loud....make it someone who doesn't mind hearing "WTF, Dumb Sh*t, OK nice, WTF, Dumb Sh*t" constantly though......if you self conversations are anything like mine!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Originally Posted by Bull
...make it someone who doesn't mind hearing "WTF, Dumb Sh*t, OK nice, WTF, Dumb Sh*t"

Have you been listening to in on my videos, Bob? That's a riot. You do that as well? It's funny, a friend asked that I hook up a microphone so he could hear me cursing, I mean, commenting on the action better.

Don't you wish the car in FRONT of you could hear those comments!?!?

Quick Reply: Now that i'm in Black and don't need any further instruction....