Sponsored by:

Roebling Road Race Report anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:26 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
I was not there but spoke to Pennington and I think Mac McGhee won the sprint and Gary was P2 in the GTC3 class.

I sat this one out due to work. Will be ready to roll at Sebring.
That was the fun races on Saturday. The officials lengthend the races to full sprint race time becasue of the rain forcast on Sunday. Many people ran the fun race and left Saturday night.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

OK thanks for the correction.

Sounds like a good race to have skipped. This year I am 3 for 3 with regard to skipping the washouts..... mid ohio, summit, roebling.

See everyone at Sebring.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:26 PM
mji911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Cory's thread about standing water on the front straight, I was understanding that the track had been repaved. Doesn't sound like the track is pitched properly
Old 12-05-2006, 05:56 PM
SFreeman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, I'm the one Kerry is referring to earlier with the 13. Roebling was my first PCA race. (I raced this past season with NASA (including nationals).) Weather was great Saturday, but Sunday was really wet and challenging to say the least. A big hand for those few who stuck it out. All the volunteers did a great job and were very pleasant. The grid for the yellow group for Sunday's race was a bit mucked up. They announced an earlier start for the race, but only half the field heard it. The other racer I was pitted with thought he was coming to grid early, only to find out he was late and they tried not to let him take the flag. Finally they let him start last. Difficult circumstances with the rain, and some did hear the announcement, but neither I nor any of the others around us heard the call for an earlier grid. As there were 6-7 cars that didn't either, that could have been handled better.

I was done because of a 13 during the second lap of the first session on Saturday, but I knew the PCA rules going into the weekend. I put a tire off at track out of T3, straightened up but had too much speed and went straight off at turn in for T4. CWorker came over afterwards and said he couldn't believe I got all the way to the embankment, he thought for sure I would stop just into the sand, as did I - oh well. A lot of money and time spent to get there, but I knew the rules.

I stayed around for the rest of the weekend, and was informed late Sunday AM that I could have still participated in the DE - too late to try to get the car back out at that point. Again, I knew the 13/13 rules when I signed up so no fault to PCA. I learned to drive doing PCA DEs and think it is a great organization. I intend to always be a member. Will I sign up for an event in the future with PCA, well I know the rules. I also know the NASA rules . . .
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The article will be up on theracesite.com soon.

Mac McG hit the wall, bummer in his race.
Cory and I both had our cars get wet and quit running. Cory was leading.

My worker choice awards go to all the big-bore guys who went out in the rain and to Fred Beasley who drove on Hoosiers, left-foot braking, coasting, driving half on half off throttle, whatever it took to stay going forward.

Boat wakes off the cars about one foot deep, made it hard to pass. First time I have seen currents across pavement....When you pulled out, you hydroplaned. Three cars off the front straight, including poor Michael Branning, which I saw out my mirror while I was out there dead. The tow truck driver moved so I knew something was up!

I had my own 13 for running off the track at Lime Rock in the rain, when the wall was inches away. I decided you have to drive like you have a 13 already. I do wish there was more consistency in how the car to car incidents get 13s. It does allow for bullies and con artists to perhaps win on-track battles and 13/13 investigations.

I do think there might be some tendency for lower hp leaving in favor of the faster cars (but it is not the same guys I see at NASA). My class was 18 at RR a few years ago, and even if you added SP back in, it would not make 9 this year.

Lastly, the pavement is much faster but it is still RR and you lose grip in the same places. Bring your big sway bars, esp front, and allow for a bit of increased oversteer. (I brought the wrong one.)
PM
personal opinion

Quick Reply: Roebling Road Race Report anyone?