ATC TRAILER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATC TRAILER QUESTION

Thanks guys,

I currently have a Trailex open trailer that I have used for the past year. I love it but really want to move to an enclosed trailer. I have passed through one too many southern thunderstorms here that produce good sized hail if you know what I mean!

At first I looked at the Trailex enclosed. They are great, but at around 18-19k they just don't provide any real room in them for anything. Great on weight but that seems to be about it.

A local dealer has a 2007 ATC 24' Fastlane that I just love. The Fastlanes are loaded and it retails for 27k. He wants 22k for it which seems like a good deal. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has one additional foot of height. I think that brings it to something like 8.5 feet tall!

How much of a factor in towing will that be? Does it look bad at that height? How would that effect resale?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2006, 10:31 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Chris

You didnt say what you tow with, if you have enough tow vehicle (3/4 ton or better) to properly pull a 24 the extra height should not be an issue.

I suspect in the long run you will be Very happy you have the extra height, and it is an expensive option. I would think resale would be enhanced as well.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:51 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my new 24ft. Pace V-nose that I just purchased. I went through a lot of the same considerations as you are currently pondering. In the end i chose standard height and the V-nose to decrese the wind resistance factor even though I tow with a crew cab dually. Wind resistance is the major factor in hauling and effects not just gas mileage, but wear & tear on the trucks motor and tranny, etc. Additionally, hauling through gusty winds with bad cross winds increase your exposure. That extra height would be great (especially if you're tall) and would allow you to place you tire racks higher amd gives you a more comfortable feeling inside. But for me, the safety of a shorter trailer along with the increased mileage and faster highway speeds with less mechanical wear swung me to the standard height and V-nose....
Old 11-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Chris I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my new 24ft. Pace V-nose that I just purchased. I went through a lot of the same considerations as you are currently pondering. In the end i chose standard height and the V-nose to decrese the wind resistance factor even though I tow with a crew cab dually. Wind resistance is the major factor in hauling and effects not just gas mileage, but wear & tear on the trucks motor and tranny, etc. Additionally, hauling through gusty winds with bad cross winds increase your exposure. That extra height would be great (especially if you're tall) and would allow you to place you tire racks higher amd gives you a more comfortable feeling inside. But for me, the safety of a shorter trailer along with the increased mileage and faster highway speeds with less mechanical wear swung me to the standard height and V-nose....
Silver Arrow or Aerosport? My company sells them.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Here is some more information that I really need some help with. Especially anyone who deals with trailers like Chris the Canuk.

He faxed the invoice to me and the title says 2007. However the actual invoice shows it to be a 2006. The reason I mention it is because ATC's web site shows major differences between the years in regards to height. In 2007 standard height is 6'6'' with the ability to upgrade to 7'. In 2006 standard height was I believe 7' with the ability to move to 8'6''.

This invoice shows the trailer at a height of 7'6'' with an option for an additional 12''. That would put it at 8'6''.

Inside height measures out right at 8'. This just seems like a TALL trailer to me. Sure the height is nice, but can you have too much of a good thing?

Old 11-18-2006, 04:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Silver Arrow or Aerosport? My company sells them.
Good luck!
Aerosport, the Silver Arrow was just too expensive. The 24 ft.Silver Arrow was only 450 lbs. less, the 28ft version is actually a few lbs. more than the Aerosport. It's listed as a 28ft trailer (VFA8528TA3), though in reality it's a 23ft. box with 4ft. of V-nose. Overall it's only 12 inches longer than a standard 24ft. trailer.

I got it with lots of goodies like 4ft of upper and lower aluminum cabinets on the far side of the V and a 2ft. wide wardrobe closet attached. It also has E-track on the walls and the floor, 2 aluminum tire racks, a fold out aluminum table, electric tongue jack, strap hangers, door cabinet, finished aluminum interior package with galvanized flooring and ATP,and their Limited package including rims, lighting, etc.... First improvement will be a 3000 Super Wench as cup cars are a bitch to crawl in & out of....
Old 11-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JR, I agree it is good to have at least one "wench" around the trailer at all times!
Old 11-18-2006, 04:54 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Chris:

I have a standard height 20' v-nose atc and love it. I can see the extra foot if you are going to do a lot of cabinets etc. I can tell the wind does push it around a fair amount and I pull with a f-350 srw. I orgininally intended to tow with my Touareg (and do so around town) but the winds are bad on the highway at speeds over 65.

Mike
Old 11-19-2006, 02:49 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Chris:

Unless you have some reall NEED for the extra height, I would definitely NOT want the extra ht. I replaced my old 24' steel Featherlite with an ATC Contender. Both the same ht. and width, but the ATC has a square top while the Featherlite had a rounded cap. I can't prove it conclusively, but I'm pretty sure I can feel the extra wind resistance with the ATC. I sure wouldn't want to tow anything with an even greater frontal area.

My tow vehicle is a 3/4ton Chevy w/6.0l. The difference would probably not be felt as much w/diesel, but there's not denying the additional load the extra 12" would add.

Joe
Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My ATC has an extra 6 inches of height and it is pretty tall. The thing is a damned brick which sucks for towing. Other than that, the 6 inches of height is great and I wouldn't want to be without it. If you have the ability, a V nose would be a good idea. My town limits me on my trailer size and the V-nose would have made it too big. As it is, my trailer is only 20'.

See this pic. You can see the height makes it nice for the car to be able to drive under the tire racks. The tire racks are also positioned well so that when the tires "roll up" on the tire rack bar during loading/unloading there is a few inches of clearance so you don't whack the ceiling.

Fwiw, I tow with a diesel Excusion (10-12mpg).

Old 11-19-2006, 08:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
See this pic. You can see the height makes it nice for the car to be able to drive under the tire racks. The tire racks are also positioned well so that when the tires "roll up" on the tire rack bar during loading/unloading there is a few inches of clearance so you don't whack the ceiling. Fwiw, I tow with a diesel Excusion (10-12mpg).
That's exactly what the extra 6-12 inches is good for. It's a trade off, poor mileage and wear & tear mechanically versus placing your tire racks where you want them....

Nice looking setup with the ramps, bumps, and lights. Is your generator running or is that a small orange cord I see stretched across from the left?.....

PS: What town regulates the size of a landowner's personal trailer? Truly we've allowed the inmates to run the asylum....
Old 11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
That's exactly what the extra 6-12 inches is good for. It's a trade off, poor mileage and wear & tear mechanically versus placing your tire racks where you want them....

Nice looking setup with the ramps, bumps, and lights. Is your generator running or is that a small orange cord I see stretched across from the left?.....

PS: What town regulates the size of a landowner's personal trailer? Truly we've allowed the inmates to run the asylum....
I have a generator (Honda EU2000i), but that is a landline you see.

A town in NJ. The ordinance requires any trailer >20' to be garaged. Welcome to America, land of the freeish.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 PM
banzaisan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

I have a 24 ATC flat nose with a standard height. If you plan to get the standard height, you will need to move your tire rack forward. I have a photo I can share with you but I don't know how to shrink the picture. I am very pleased with my ATC and it tows well with my Nissan Titan. The mileage sucks but its a small price to pay.

--Dave
Old 11-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Thanks guys. I knew you would be able to help as you always do.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:55 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 24 foot ATC trailer with the flat front. I am thinking of getting this to help with aerodynamics

http://www.nosecone.com/appull.htm

Quick Reply: ATC TRAILER QUESTION