Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Lets use the actual numbers (alter as needed to fit your options, etc):

GX470 GCWR = 11500
GX470 Curb Weight = 4675

11500-4675=6825 towing capacity dry
gt3 curb weight = 3100
trailer weight = 1500
11500-4674-3100-1500=2226lbs left over for you, all your gear, fuel weight, etc.
19% safey margin not including all your other stuff.

IMO, it's pretty close.

For instance, here is how it looks for my F350:
F350 GCWR = 23500
Curb Weight = 7400
23500-7400=16100
23500-7400-3100-1500=11500 left over. Clearly plenty of capacity.
48% safety margin

Here is my setup, with 2800lb car, and heavy steel trailer.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:52 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscoe
Well I guess that's that then..... guess we can close the topic. Geeze...
You asked a question, I answered. What were you expecting? If you already know what you're going to do then why post the inquiry? Ignorance is such a charming trait.....

PS: If you can afford a overpriced tug boat like the Lexus why havent you ponied up the few dollars to become a member?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscoe
Well I guess that's that then..... guess we can close the topic. Geeze...
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/311470-interesting-trailer-handling-question.html

Against all odds I'm hoping you'll read this thread and perhaps gain some insight into the risks associated with trailering. The author of the thread is an experienced racer and instructor who was willing to share what could have been a real train wreck on the highway. Please take the time to read all the responses as some are insightful...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Oh I think it's absolutely right to identify the risks of towing with a sub-optimal tow vehicle to someone asking all the right questions. That you are offended is reflective of your "to each his own" opening statement. You're entitled to that opinion as long as you back it up with at least a millon dollar balloon.....

You're analogy about "every racer on the track having the optimal parts to ensure total safety for others" is a straw-man argument. They're racers on a track who chose to be there . The innocents you might kill when your sub-optimal tow vehicle loses control on the highway didn't make that choice. One could argue that by your reasoning drunk driving is OK since you believe in "to each his own" way of life....
Well said!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 106 Posts

Agreed!! Well said!

But wait....Bull - arent you towing with a sub optimal tow vehicle!? Your short wheel base expedition is a soccer moms dream - not a longwheelbase dually workhorse!

And you tow a valuable cupcar with spares, and extra equipment?! You my friend are a hazard to all street drivers! Why with one gust of wind or a tractor trailer pass - you could take out a dozen "good hands" drivers!!

Lets recap!
"I know we've discussed this many times before, but short-wheel based tow vehicles are an accident just waiting to happen. They seem wonderful going down the road when conditions are optimal, but that sense of security can disappear quickly when things deteriorate. Whether it's the Yukon/Blazer, Touareg, Explorer, or a smaller pickup like the Titan or Tundra, you're gambling with your life and the lives of others towing with a sub-optimal platform. A 3/4 ton, long wheel based vehicle is the minimum anyone with a sense of responsibility should tow with. The heavy-duty Excursion and Surburban fall into this category, but smaller SUV's don't. A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there."

So Bull - When are you upgrading!!??

I realize that jrgordon has a point and it's hard to disagree with the fact that we all SHOULD be towing with the proper vehicles. We just cant all afford multiple vehicles and so we make a choice. Yes - towing with a smalller suv will always be more dangerous.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 177mph
Agreed!! Well said!

But wait....Bull - arent you towing with a sub optimal tow vehicle!? Your short wheel base expedition is a soccer moms dream - not a longwheelbase dually workhorse!
In a word...no. It isn't a short wheelbase SUV, and I am towing at 45% of its rated capacity. I might have been giving you too much credit for actually knowing the differences between vehicles. But thanks for the concern anyway. And all the drama is certainly entertaining!

If you look at the quote, you will see that he said, and I agreed with, "Whether it's the Yukon/Blazer, Touareg, Explorer, or a smaller pickup like the Titan or Tundra, you're gambling", all of which are shorter wheelbase and have less towing capacity then my vehicle with the options/upgrades that are in place.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that jrgordon has a point and it's hard to disagree with the fact that we all SHOULD be towing with the proper vehicles. We just cant all afford multiple vehicles and so we make a choice. Yes - towing with a smalller suv will always be more dangerous.
And towing with the "optimum" vehicle is not a guarantee of any sort that you won't wreak havoc with the lifes of innocent bystanders. You can have the best equipment money can buy and still fall asleep at the wheel (or suffer from any other form of human fallibility that always rears it's ugly head). Does anybody here speed? Let's talk about how that's an example of personal irresponsibility.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:27 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 106 Posts

Your expedition does have a 3 inch longer wheelbase than the yukon. But alas - you're 11 inches shorter than the yukon XL which is "almost" a proper tow vehicle. I say almost because we havent identified it as a 3/4 ton model....

JRgordon also said -
"A 3/4 ton, long wheel based vehicle is the minimum anyone with a sense of responsibility should tow with. The heavy-duty Excursion and Surburban fall into this category, but smaller SUV's don't. A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there."

So - do you have a sense of responsibility?! Sell that beast now! My God man! Think of the innocents you'll be sparing!

I do know the differences between the vehicles - and I hope you know that I'm just having fun. People get very serious on these boards - and sometimes we all need to lighten up!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Your expedition does have a 3 inch longer wheelbase than the yukon. But alas - you're 11 inches shorter than the yukon XL which is "almost" a proper tow vehicle. I say almost because we havent identified it as a 3/4 ton model....

JRgordon also said -
"A 3/4 ton, long wheel based vehicle is the minimum anyone with a sense of responsibility should tow with. The heavy-duty Excursion and Surburban fall into this category, but smaller SUV's don't. A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there."

So - do you have a sense of responsibility?! Sell that beast now! My God man! Think of the innocents you'll be sparing!

I do know the differences between the vehicles - and I hope you know that I'm just having fun. People get very serious on these boards - and sometimes we all need to lighten up!
You can't possibly have thought that I would take you seriously!

Happy motoring.....
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best compromise I could find for family hauling, efficiency, power, towing ability, cargo capacity, etc. We love it. Go get a used one (of course, that's all you can do now!):

Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

3/4 ton Yukon XL for me.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
The best compromise I could find for family hauling, efficiency, power, towing ability, cargo capacity, etc. We love it. Go get a used one (of course, that's all you can do now!):

Nah, no used family for me.

All I need to haul is two dogs at times and 4400lbs at others.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
And towing with the "optimum" vehicle is not a guarantee of any sort that you won't wreak havoc with the lifes of innocent bystanders. You can have the best equipment money can buy and still fall asleep at the wheel (or suffer from any other form of human fallibility that always rears it's ugly head). Does anybody here speed? Let's talk about how that's an example of personal irresponsibility.
Boy, wouldn't that be nice....binary answers...you are or you aren't...no degrees!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Bob, do you think I can get a weight-distributing hitch installed on this bad boy?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Absolutely! Bring to the shop and we can get 'er done....

Quick Reply: Is 6500lbs enought capacity to tow?