Sponsored by:

Is 6500lbs enought capacity to tow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:48 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z man- think of your needs. Then think can the vehicle stop what you have on teh trailer and in the truck. If it's a maginal effort, look beyond. You will probably end up carrying more in time. The Dakota's payload is one of the best in the industry. And is currently used as a tow vehicle by a number of PCA drivers. You can look at the Durango which has a tow capacity of 8950 lbs. and the discounts on the 2006 Durango are DEEP ONES!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry TD...Next time I see you and we have a few hours and a bottle of single malt scotch and a couple of cigars... we can discuss this one. This is speaking professionally.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Now, I am not sure I would use them for enclosed trailers, but my Sequoia has a tow package, a longer wheelbase, and it tows my trailer at speeds I would be embarassed to admit on a public forum.
Don't you mean that you're embarassed by the fact that you drive the Sequoia and trailer at greater speeds than your racecar on the track?

Sorry, I just had to...

Sleder - yeah, Daimler Chrysler is offering some decent incentives. Plus the employee discount (I work for Mercedes-Benz, USA Corp. HQ), it's a pretty penny I'd be saving if I went with a DC product. Then again, the Benz GL should be available with a diesel (possibly the new Bluetec) in the spring, and it's got a 7,000+ lb towing rating... Hmmm....

-Z
Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z-man
Don't you mean that you're embarassed by the fact that you drive the Sequoia and trailer at greater speeds than your racecar on the track?
No, I'm proud of that fact. It is bad enough that I am a chicane on the track . . . I couldn't take it if I help up all of the knee-driving Audi's around the NOVA area.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO you are fine. Get a lightweight trailer, don't cheap out on a quality weight distribution system (Reese dual cam sway is a favorite of our customers) and a quality brake controller. Tekonsha Prodigy is The brake controller at the moment but a new one is coming out with a more user friendly display. Get a spare tire & rim for the trailer.

If you are going across the Rockies every week I would suggest a larger vehicle.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 106 Posts

My GX 470 towed my 993 on an open trailer with no issues. Are there "better" tow vehicles out there? Sure. But the GX 470 (based on the european toyota land cruiser) does just fine.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:24 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I pull a Trailex open with a Lexus GX470 and have had no problems. My towing route includes multiple hills and turns with elevation changes. The Lexus has no problem at all. Total tow weight is about 5200lbs. The truck pulls easy at 75 plus mph and handles very well with the air suspension. MPG average is about 11.

I've also pulled this same package with a 2006 Chrysler T & C Limited Minivan. I've had a lot of people look at me like I'm crazy put the van pulls beautifully and averages about 13 mpg.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:43 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Note that you can't use a weight distributing hitch with an aluminum Trailex trailer.

I have a V8 Durango and a V8 Touareg with air suspension and the Touareg tows SO much better- more stable, comfortable, better brakes, and it feels like it has twice the horsepower. Touareg can hold 6th gear in places the Durango needs to go down to 2nd. Odd as you would think the Durango's bigger engine would have more torque.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure what the towing limit is on a Volvo V70 Wagon, but this has to be maxed out. I saw this car at New Hampshire International Speedway a couple times already.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
mein51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having grown up on a ranch I'd never tow anything w/out a real truck (sorry guys, if it isn't American, then its not a real truck in my book). I'm sure I sound like a redneck here, but I love my Ford - it never ever ever ever complains when pulling my ~3000# car or a significantly larger stuff back at my parents farm. It gets 14 mpg all the time loaded or not on the highway . C'mon, bite the bullet

But back on topic, keep in mind in whatever you get don't forget to include the weight of the trailer when figguring how close to capacity you'll be. Try to find something with good brakes to go along with good capacity and power. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Didnt we just do this a few weeks ago? From now on I think I'll just cut & paste my response from that thread.....

"I know we've discussed this many times before, but short-wheel based tow vehicles are an accident just waiting to happen. They seem wonderful going down the road when conditions are optimal, but that sense of security can disappear quickly when things deteriorate. Whether it's the Yukon/Blazer, Touareg, Explorer, or a smaller pickup like the Titan or Tundra, you're gambling with your life and the lives of others towing with a sub-optimal platform. A 3/4 ton, long wheel based vehicle is the minimum anyone with a sense of responsibility should tow with. The heavy-duty Excursion and Surburban fall into this category, but smaller SUV's don't. A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there."

Sorry for the rant; this subject always drives me nuts. Horse people seem to know better maybe because they're pulling live cargo. I rarely see a 2-horse tag behind a small tow vehicle, usually it's a dually. So why do racers minimize this vital safety issue?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Didnt we just do this a few weeks ago? From now on I think I'll just cut & paste my response from that thread.....

"I know we've discussed this many times before, but short-wheel based tow vehicles are an accident just waiting to happen. They seem wonderful going down the road when conditions are optimal, but that sense of security can disappear quickly when things deteriorate. Whether it's the Yukon/Blazer, Touareg, Explorer, or a smaller pickup like the Titan or Tundra, you're gambling with your life and the lives of others towing with a sub-optimal platform. A 3/4 ton, long wheel based vehicle is the minimum anyone with a sense of responsibility should tow with. The heavy-duty Excursion and Surburban fall into this category, but smaller SUV's don't. A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there."

Sorry for the rant; this subject always drives me nuts. Horse people seem to know better maybe because they're pulling live cargo. I rarely see a 2-horse tag behind a small tow vehicle, usually it's a dually. So why do racers minimize this vital safety issue?

Well I guess that's that then..... guess we can close the topic. Geeze...
Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Get a TopKick or a Kodiak then. Cheaper than a dually and much more capable.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

Sorry to re-open this subject but this poster believes in the "to each his own" way of life. I dont think that everyone can afford to have multiple vehicles that are "optimal" for every situation. We all have to make compromises and I dont think it's right to tell people they are risking others lives in this situation by towing with a regular SUV (tahoe, durango, land cruiser, etc). Does every racer on the track have the optimal parts to ensure total safety for others? No. Life - in general - is a risk...
Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Sorry to re-open this subject but this poster believes in the "to each his own" way of life. I dont think that everyone can afford to have multiple vehicles that are "optimal" for every situation. We all have to make compromises and I dont think it's right to tell people they are risking others lives in this situation by towing with a regular SUV (tahoe, durango, land cruiser, etc). Does every racer on the track have the optimal parts to ensure total safety for others? No. Life - in general - is a risk...
Oh I think it's absolutely right to identify the risks of towing with a sub-optimal tow vehicle to someone asking all the right questions. That you are offended is reflective of your "to each his own" opening statement. You're entitled to that opinion as long as you back it up with at least a millon dollar balloon.....

You're analogy about "every racer on the track having the optimal parts to ensure total safety for others" is a straw-man argument. They're racers on a track who chose to be there . The innocents you might kill when your sub-optimal tow vehicle loses control on the highway didn't make that choice. One could argue that by your reasoning drunk driving is OK since you believe in "to each his own" way of life....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 12-10-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Is 6500lbs enought capacity to tow?