Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring DE this Sunday Nov19th

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I started with PCA and PBOC but have done a LOT of Chin events due to the track time. However....as I've gotten into racing, I find that a lot more "race" guys do PCA and PBOC DE's than Chin. So, while it serves a good purpose and function for people, I find myself being drawn back to PCA nd PBOC....

Mitch, they have gotten a lot more strict but still not to the level of PCA and PBOC....
Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Is that a good thing? Actually, I used to do Chin alot when I was starting out and you do get more track time than you need. I hear they are much more strict about safety than before which is a good thing.
I guess I should have added the caveat. That wasn't very perceptive of me.

Ultimately the Chin vs. PCA thing created an inverse relationship of track-time/organization. To me it was a calculated risk that I took, and there was at least one incident each time I went. Different strokes for different folks, I am aware of the other side of the coin, but it doesn't move the ball as much for me.

That said, is the scheduling for track time in Suncoast about the same as it was two years ago? Full-off before release of run-groups as well?

I am not trying to start a debate over organization and safety, just wondering whether it is the way it used to be.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Gator, yes all the cars from the previous group were off the track before the next group went on. However it was very well run this way. I just had so much fun and each time I was out on the track in each session just as I thought I was getting what my instructor was teaching me the checkered flag came out.
I was told by my instructor and another instructor that I should go to Sebring with Chin Motorsports and that I would do good there and get much more track time. From what I was told is that most of the instructors at Chin are PCA anyway.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I was there at Sebring in the green group in my red GT3. I hope you didn't see me going around any turns at 20! I hit 135 down the main straight and thought I did pretty well around the turns. There were a couple drivers that passed me but that's about it. I don't claim to be a great driver, but my instructor was complimentary of my performance (probably he was just happy to be alive)

I did have the opportunity to ride with Christian in his Boxster, and he showed me how much I need to improve to get to his level-he's a great driver!
Mark, nope you were not slow! The guy in the black standard Carrera pitted mext to me was a 2nd time green guy and he was very fast in the corners and I could only pass him on the straights. He will probably be blue next time. the one thing I did not get to do that I wish I did get to do was ride with a solo yellow or red guy.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:01 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, all first timers have to start somewhere. That place would be in the green run group. But you must realize that that is a VERY mixed group of people. There are people there that may say be a girlfriend of someone and is driving but didnt really want too? Or an 18 yo with minimal driving experience at all.
Some have had "some" other type of track exposure or even autocross.
Then Mike there are some guys like you! Aggressive alpha males who want to do the very best and go as fast as possible. That combined with some inate driving ability will make you "much" faster that some of the other types mentioned.
Once you find this fact out (as you have) you will still need to aquire the necessary "basics" of a good green student so you can move to the advance beginner group.
Concentrate on your line, turn in points, apexes and brake points. Focus on safe smooth driving and you will soon be promoted to the blue group.
The GOOD thing about the way PCA runs things as opposed to Chin is the fact that they do provide the opportunity for "advanced beginners" to hone their skills further but still have an instructor.
You will realize that the segregation into groups of "like" skills is very safe and in the long run the way one should progress.
I think that progressing through the PCA DE's to the yellow solo level and then trying out Chin would be the smooth safe way to go.
I must admit that I love the Chin events though. The additional time is derived from putting various groups together. Obviously this can then be "a little more exciting".
You are truely a special person and a great role model for those with a disability, see you at the track soon!! tom
Old 11-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I can't agree with tom more.

Especially this part:
The GOOD thing about the way PCA runs things as opposed to Chin is the fact that they do provide the opportunity for "advanced beginners" to hone their skills further but still have an instructor.
You will realize that the segregation into groups of "like" skills is very safe and in the long run the way one should progress.
I think that progressing through the PCA DE's to the yellow solo level and then trying out Chin would be the smooth safe way to go.
I must admit that I love the Chin events though. The additional time is derived from putting various groups together. Obviously this can then be "a little more exciting".

Excellent points tom.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:16 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

thanks andrew
Old 11-23-2006, 10:08 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Exactly the way I did it.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Oh don't read me wrong I had a blast and loved the event and the way it was run. I liked it so much (the learning part about me, my skills and my car) that I could have used some more laps of practice. I know this all goes back to me being a drummer for most of my professional working life and on back into school as I would practice my drums until I got it correct. Believe it or not but fast driving and playing drums have a lot in common. To be a great drummer you have to be relaxed, smooth and keep your mind in front of the music. Timing as a drummer is everything and driving a car fast on the track is just like drumming in a lot of ways.

I wanted to keep doing laps because I knew where my mistakes were and I wanted to correct them. I just felt and so did my instructor that there were some cars that were extremely slow...and it was not due to the cars potential performance either but the driver drove like they were scared or just out for a lezuire Sunday cruise and they were really holding up traffic.

Tom, you are very correct in all you said and I know safety is the utmost inportance with these events and I truely appreciate that. I felt safe the entire time and my instructor kept me with in my limits and the cars limits. I truely feel with enough time put in to learning to drive I can move up in class and even someday be an instructor. As you can tell I do my best to not let what happened to me or my leg hold me back.
see ya soon, Mike
Old 11-24-2006, 12:26 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Mike, I have no doubt you have the ability to progress nicely and ultimately become a fine instructor and a credit to our club!! See ya soon...tom

Quick Reply: Sebring DE this Sunday Nov19th