Sebring DE this Sunday Nov19th

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:44 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
This is my first DE so I'm in the Green group. This is all new to me and I'm excitied to learn. I'm easy to spot since I'm 6'5" tall and have a silver & blue prosthetic leg.
Welcome to the DE world Mike you're gonna love it!
It's the most fun you can have in a car with your pants on!

If you show up at a PCA event with anything made out of carbon fiber and/or titanium it'll draw a crowd - that includes prosthetic legs!

See you there!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agio
Yeah, but Terry, did you know the flags? Actually, I'm certain you do.
I was instructing a student in a Boxster recently. Up ahead in the distance, you could see the debris flag being displayed. I asked the student to check up, pointed out the flag and asked if they remembered what it meant.

She said, "Yeah, you told me that was the "sh*t in the road" flag"

That'll teach me!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
agio
Racer

Terry, are you an instructor for SunCoast? Or are you a candidate?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agio
Terry, are you an instructor for SunCoast? Or are you a candidate?
Yes, I am an instructor for Suncoast Region. I've gone to both the Suncoast and Gold Coast instructor schools. I got my "national" card last year from Pete too.

See you there!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Buff is going to be there with his new 997 GT-3!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by C4 Guy
Welcome to the DE world Mike you're gonna love it!
It's the most fun you can have in a car with your pants on!

If you show up at a PCA event with anything made out of carbon fiber and/or titanium it'll draw a crowd - that includes prosthetic legs!

See you there!
LOL My leg is all carbon fiber and titanium! As for the car...it's your normal 997S cab no wings, trick wheels or carbon fiber. Most Porsche people I meet don't even like it because it's a Tiptronic. See you all Sunday...gotta get back to reading my event operating guidelines.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:49 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Terry
Are you bringing your pit crew
Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4 Guy
I had the "misfortune" of drawing Mitch as my "student" in a Gold Coast Region instructor school. He proceeded to absolutely torment me as his instructor candidate! Mitch threw everything in the book at me:
  • drove way the hell too fast
  • elbow resting on the door
  • hand hanging out on the shifter
  • lousy hand position
  • turned in too early
  • turned in too late
  • refused to turn unless i told him there was a turn coming up
  • two wheels in the dirt

whew - I'm tired typing all that! Give me a beer

May Allah be Merciful on Mitch's next instructor candidate!

BTW, I've been sleep deprived since the birth of our third daughter and feeling a little grumpy!!! I can't wait to take it out on, oops I mean take out my next candidate!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Well, I am still on the high 2 days after my 1st DE @ Sebring. I do not know where to start but I did good, did not spin (came close), nothing broke and I learned a lot about myself and the car. When I blew a turn because I was learning the track I knew my mistake and were I should have been on the track.

I had Bob Dikman as my instructor. We got along very well and he was a great help in keeping me safe and teaching me the line around the track. He even taught me a few different lines for Sebring which was very cool to experiance! Bob and I are both about the same size guys 6'5" 240+lbs. Still with all that weight we were coming up on just about every green car in my '06 997s Cab with a Tiptronic! Bill wrote in my log book that I have good hand position, very alert, looks way ahead, picked up the track fast with a good understanding of the track. I need to work on threshold braking-braking deeper. Bob said overall I was smooth with steering input but needed to be less agressive and smoother with the throttle. I had the sport setting on which advances the throttle mapping and make the throttle sensitive. Once I turned that off I felt I was better with the throttle.

I really learned how good the brakes are on a 997S...WOW... I felt I only got a few good laps on each session because I spent most of my time following what felt like drivers on a Sunday afternoon cruise! I could not believe how slow most people were driving around the track...I'm talking about 20-40mph through the faster turns and no more than 60 down the straight and they would hardly signal to let you pass. Even my instructor said this green group was extremely slow. These cars were going so slow there was no need to even brake to go into the corners and I felt that hurt my time to learn my threshold braking. I felt if I had more laps I could get a better feel for the brakes especially as I was going down the back straight at around 130mph+ and into turn 17.

I could go back to Sebring right now and just do lap after lap until I got it right. I still have a ton to learn and a ton of questions but WOW is this fun. All in all I had a blast but the track time was way to short and too many slow cars in my group on the track getting in the way.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:26 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Man. I haven't been to a Suncoast DE since november of 2004 I think. I am putting my car back together this Spring and my dad's mullet just got a new suspension. I need to get a few DEs at sebring before I leave Florida to start practicing. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Oh, I like the log book addition for students too, I think they put that into place around when I started solo. Man, I really need some seat time!

Mdrums, sounds like you had a great time. Everybody goes through the frustration of being in a lower run group, but you really have to have that experience, and traffic is a good thing sometimes. I had to stay in a lower run group because my pops and I were sharing a car. Solo for suncoast is actually a pretty fast group, although it doesn't have as many prepared cars as the instructor group.

Anyways, great to hear that you had a good time. Sebring is a GREAT home track. It is pretty baller to have that as your home track, and there are lots of places to learn. T1 and T17 are very good for braking. I have only spun once, T10 in the 930 with Dave Huey as my instructo. I am sure you are anxiously awaiting the day you finally sponge those great brakes on your 997?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Gator, yes the log book idea is nice. It's kind of like a pilots log book. Don;t get me wrong there were some other cars gettin' it around the track just like is was but over half of this green group drove like they were out for a slow Sunday drive or a parade lap! This really cut into quality track time. I know I am no where near the yellow group but it looked like I and some other cars would have fit into the blue group better...actually maybe there should have been 2 green groups?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

mdrums, I am not the registrar but I imagine that the number of cars in green is dependent on the number that sign up etc.... Also, if the green group was split into two run groups you would have less track time overrall, and even if you divided the track time equally between the two new green groups you have the transaction cost of getting people off the track.

Does suncoast still do full group off before the next group goes on? Or, do they do a rolling transition?

Once you get to Solo you can always do events with Chin. They are more expensive, but the actual on-track time is more than you can handle in one day, and it is not a strictly organized.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:52 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
... and it is not a strictly organized.
Is that a good thing? Actually, I used to do Chin alot when I was starting out and you do get more track time than you need. I hear they are much more strict about safety than before which is a good thing.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well, I am still on the high 2 days after my 1st DE @ Sebring. I do not know where to start but I did good, did not spin (came close), nothing broke and I learned a lot about myself and the car. When I blew a turn because I was learning the track I knew my mistake and were I should have been on the track.

I had Bob Dikman as my instructor. We got along very well and he was a great help in keeping me safe and teaching me the line around the track. He even taught me a few different lines for Sebring which was very cool to experiance! Bob and I are both about the same size guys 6'5" 240+lbs. Still with all that weight we were coming up on just about every green car in my '06 997s Cab with a Tiptronic! Bill wrote in my log book that I have good hand position, very alert, looks way ahead, picked up the track fast with a good understanding of the track. I need to work on threshold braking-braking deeper. Bob said overall I was smooth with steering input but needed to be less agressive and smoother with the throttle. I had the sport setting on which advances the throttle mapping and make the throttle sensitive. Once I turned that off I felt I was better with the throttle.

I really learned how good the brakes are on a 997S...WOW... I felt I only got a few good laps on each session because I spent most of my time following what felt like drivers on a Sunday afternoon cruise! I could not believe how slow most people were driving around the track...I'm talking about 20-40mph through the faster turns and no more than 60 down the straight and they would hardly signal to let you pass. Even my instructor said this green group was extremely slow. These cars were going so slow there was no need to even brake to go into the corners and I felt that hurt my time to learn my threshold braking. I felt if I had more laps I could get a better feel for the brakes especially as I was going down the back straight at around 130mph+ and into turn 17.

I could go back to Sebring right now and just do lap after lap until I got it right. I still have a ton to learn and a ton of questions but WOW is this fun. All in all I had a blast but the track time was way to short and too many slow cars in my group on the track getting in the way.
I was there at Sebring in the green group in my red GT3. I hope you didn't see me going around any turns at 20! I hit 135 down the main straight and thought I did pretty well around the turns. There were a couple drivers that passed me but that's about it. I don't claim to be a great driver, but my instructor was complimentary of my performance (probably he was just happy to be alive)

I did have the opportunity to ride with Christian in his Boxster, and he showed me how much I need to improve to get to his level-he's a great driver!

Quick Reply: Sebring DE this Sunday Nov19th