Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st "off-track" experience and a couple of newbie DE driving questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006 | 04:32 PM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by agio
Believe this or not, my comments are meant for the benefit of you and the other drivers on the track with you.
I appreciate your feedback; I hope you don’t take my replies the wrong way…

I assume that your instructor was not going "***** to the wall" in your car making you feel like you're on a "really bad rollercoaster...I had that GET ME OFF OF THIS RIDE feeling...was actually a little scary what these cars are capable of in the hands of someone who knows how to drive them."
If he was driving your car at, say, 8 or 9/10ths, then he was abusing his role as an instructor. What on earth can you learn when he drives so fast that he scares the s..t out of you. Totally counterproductive.
Maybe my description is a bit exaggerated for effect, but it was my first time going fast on a track and it did feel really fast. I was probably driving at 0.05/10th and he took me at 5/10ths. Also at my most recent DE I did get a ride in my instructor’s racecar and the scare factor was not there.

The fact that you were "getting passed by everything on the track, even an SUV BMW X3.." shows me that your emphasis was on the wrong thing. Leave your ego in the paddock and learn to drive the car correctly. First of all, there is always a mix of drivers and cars together, so being passed by whomever means very little to anyone, but you (apparently). Do you think anyone is keeping score of who passed you and who you passed? If you pay attention to the instructor during the 1st day and the 2nd day, you probably would have progressed through the field so that being passed by others was happening less and less...but you would be doing so more safely and confidently.
My ego is in the paddock; it is not castrated but it is “in –check”. It was my instructor who pointed out the BMW SUV, and made the comment. I just told him “no problem”. I was content to wave everyone by, and I did. I did pay attention to all 3 of my instructors that first weekend, and I learned a lot. I maybe got to page ONE of a long novel about driving on the track, but it was a big step from where I was that first morning. I also know each step will be more difficult to get too….but there is a lot I dont' know I know, and a lot I don't know I don't know....

So, you decide: do you want to drive fast? You can you know, between the numbers and then when you get to the numbers you can eekk around until you get to the next straight. Or, do you want to learn to drive the course properly? Take my word for it, the speed will come later. It's a natural by-product of smooth and consistent driving. Your objective should not be to simply "drive fast" at this point.
I totally agree…smooth and consistent and the speed will come.
Old 11-17-2006 | 04:51 PM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by nota_troll
I thought dude was retired after college. .
The DUDE is back from retirement...got to be able to pay for the kahlua and cream's ….

Originally Posted by nota_troll
I overcooked that corner too. I've nearly spun in the esses and at the crest. I'll probably be at MSR again next weekend.

Git'r dunn.
T17 was slick...was also unnerving with the tire-wall at turn out…but I am a rookie what do I know.

Marcus, I Hope you and your family have a good turkey day…later
Old 11-20-2006 | 11:33 AM
agio
Racer

boze,
OK, so it's beginning to look positive regarding your driving endeavors...that's good. You did mention that you had 3 instructors for your first w/e. Is that right? In the clubs I instruct with, the student stays with the same instructor for the entire w/e, which tends to work better for the student. There are unusual circumstances of course which may change that, but normally they're the same.
At this point, I'll say good luck and keep the shiny side up.
Old 11-20-2006 | 04:06 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

[QUOTE=agio]
Originally Posted by boze_man
the spin happened at the 2nd DE weekend...2nd morning...

Believe this or not, my comments are meant for the benefit of you and the other drivers on the track with you.
I assume that your instructor was not going "***** to the wall" in your car making you feel like you're on a "really bad rollercoaster...I had that GET ME OFF OF THIS RIDE feeling...was actually a little scary what these cars are capable of in the hands of someone who knows how to drive them."
If he was driving your car at, say, 8 or 9/10ths, then he was abusing his role as an instructor. What on earth can you learn when he drives so fast that he scares the s..t out of you. Totally counterproductive.
The fact that you were "getting passed by everything on the track, even an SUV BMW X3.." shows me that your emphasis was on the wrong thing. Leave your ego in the paddock and learn to drive the car correctly. First of all, there is always a mix of drivers and cars together, so being passed by whomever means very little to anyone, but you (apparently). Do you think anyone is keeping score of who passed you and who you passed? If you pay attention to the instructor during the 1st day and the 2nd day, you probably would have progressed through the field so that being passed by others was happening less and less...but you would be doing so more safely and confidently.
So, you decide: do you want to drive fast? You can you know, between the numbers and then when you get to the numbers you can eekk around until you get to the next straight. Or, do you want to learn to drive the course properly? Take my word for it, the speed will come later. It's a natural by-product of smooth and consistent driving. Your objective should not be to simply "drive fast" at this point.
I can totally relate to the instructor being at 8 or 9/10ths. While I learned a ton from the instructor at my first DE, he was self-admittedly an "aggressive driver" and it was a white knuckle ride the first several laps. It took longer than maybe it should have to trust what my car was capable of on the track.

Beware the instructor that doesn't have a car for the event. He/she may want to have more fun in your car than you're expecting! I ended up really respecting him, but it was kind of a fun/fear thing for a while. Good to hear I'm not the only one that has felt this way.

I second the comments on line first, speed second. In my case, I spent too many early laps trying to keep up and drive fast. Later, I focused on the line and being smooth, and had MUCH better results and was more confident/in control.

Last edited by Deanriffs; 11-20-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2006 | 01:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Before I do my first DE, I'm going to find an instructor that allows me to ride in HIS car with HIM driving.
Old 11-21-2006 | 02:08 PM
dsmith
Racer

Bill,
I'm guessing your 1st track day was TWS. With your new found speed, I would suggest taking it easy in the mornings on turns 4, 6, 9, 12. Inexperienced students seem to go off these the most.

Look ahead, use the whole track and hit your apexes. I had a student this month at MSRH who did the most amazing thing last session of the 2nd day. Z06 on race tires and he decided he wanted to slow down, talk through the whole course for several laps trying to get the line exactly at low speed. We were able to fine tune several areas that were a bit sloppy at speed.

Interesting that T1 issue. I've never even thought about spinning there!
Enjoy,
David
Old 11-21-2006 | 02:44 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Before I do my first DE, I'm going to find an instructor that allows me to ride in HIS car with HIM driving.
Most instructors will take you for a ride if you have been a good student and are nice. It is my strict rule that I don't take students for a ride until the last run of the weekend unless there is something very specific that I can only show while driving. I wouldn't want to give a student the impression that they can take turns as fast as I can.

All of the instructors I know are very nice. They don't abuse student's cars. If an instructor regularly did, the staff would find out and suspend his instructor status.
Old 11-21-2006 | 03:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Most PCA Regions I know of have what's called a "Taste of the Track". As long as you are over 18 and have about $25 you can go ride in an advanced run group with an instructor. You don't have to be enrolled in the DE to do it, just check with the registrar before just showing up though..
Old 11-21-2006 | 04:43 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Most PCA Regions I know of have what's called a "Taste of the Track". As long as you are over 18 and have about $25 you can go ride in an advanced run group with an instructor. You don't have to be enrolled in the DE to do it, just check with the registrar before just showing up though..
This is really very interesting. Where else can you get that kind of excitement for that price? You can have someone drive you around the Nurburgring in a BMW, but it's kind of expensive if you include the flight to Germany. The next time someone wants to go pay $100/day at the local theme park, I might inquire about once of these "Taste of the Track" options instead...
Old 11-21-2006 | 05:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Most PCA Regions I know of have what's called a "Taste of the Track". As long as you are over 18 and have about $25 ......
I don't think I'd pay $25 to taste the track, but then again there were a lot of people worshiping it down at Daytona!
Attached Images  
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-21-2006 | 05:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

My last time at Limerock I got a "Taste of the Mud".. is that the same?

Quick Reply: 1st "off-track" experience and a couple of newbie DE driving questions....