Sponsored by:

Interesting trailer handling question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I feel like the odd man out here, but I'm not running any load leveling bars/equalizing hitches/cams.....just a ~2500# 20' enclosed aluminum V nose, ~2700# Cup car and a diesel Excursion....2 5/16" ball and that's that.

Never experienced anything like that.....maybe I've just been lucky due to relatively low weight?
And longer wheel base, it makes all the difference in the world.....
Old 11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, don't forget that the wind was blowing quite a bit, too, although it was worse on the turnpike. The roads to 81 really aren't that great in good weather with lots of camber. Glad that you got it together.

Maybe that can be a topic for the white classroom next season.

Steve
Old 11-14-2006, 09:00 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I know we've discussed this many times before, but short-wheel based tow vehicles are an accident just waiting to happen as Larry just discovered by just slightly overcooking a turn. They seem wonderful going down the road when conditions are optimal, but that sense of security can disappear quickly when things deteriorate. Whether it's the Yukon/Blazer, Touareg, Explorer, or a smaller pickup like the Titan or Tundra, you're gambling with your life and the lives of others towing with a sub-optimal platform. A 3/4 ton, long wheel based vehicle is the minimum anyone with a sense of responsibility should tow with. The heavy-duty Excursion and Surburban fall into this category, but smaller SUV's don't. A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there.

Sorry for the rant; this subject always drives me nuts. Horse people seem to know better maybe because they're pulling live cargo. I rarely see a 2-horse tag behind a small tow vehicle, usually it's a dually. So why do racers minimize this vital safety issue?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Chris, the tires are good - Michelin MTXs

Bruce, I was off the gas, but it wasn't "the big lift" and I am surprised because I felt that there was still a substantial amount of weight on the rear tires.

JR, of course you are right but I was driving a Yukon XL Denali, which is the long wheelbase. The new Dodge will be longer though.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

THe reason I ask about tires is that towing a trailer behind my Honda Pilot the same sort of things happen. The OEM tires aren't very good and there is lots of tread remaining. They don't provide much grip.

Bruce is on the money regarding the drive to Tremblant from Ottawa. Lots of corners and a terrible road. You have to be on the gas and power through the corners otherwise the trailer will push the backend of the tow vehicle if you go in too fast, let off the gas, and rear end gets light. Kind of like a 911 - SLOW IN FAST OUT but it should be REAL SLOW IN SLOW OUT.

Weight transfer is a factor even when towing a trailer.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Larry, I am not sure how close to your GCWR you are, and if you have the 1500 or 2500 version of the Denali, but it's possible that the problem is you are starting to get near your GCWR. With the new Dodge, you are doing the right thing for safety for both you, your gear and everyone else on the road with you. Smart move.

Chris M, I would be very worried about towing any car with the pilot on a flatbed. If you have a 2000lb car with a 1500lb trailer, you are right at your limit. The pilot is really not a tow vehicle in this sense. Weight transfer matters much much less when you are not near or over GCWR.

The reason I mention this, is that it appears many people run near or at the GCWR limit w/o thinking about the consequences. People also forget that the 'towing capacity' might assume a near-empty tow vehicle. So GCWR is the only proper measure vs simple towing capacity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_v...weight_rating). Remember, we are all out there with you on the highway.

A couple more things to think about are braking capabilities, tire load rating, mirror extensions, proper electric braking, etc. People generally think that the engine is the deciding factor, but this is false. The vehicle 'platform' is the most important factor in a tow vehicle. I don't want to rant, but looking around the paddock the other day, there were a lot of guys on the ragged edge of safety, it was apparent. Tow safe everyone!!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

kgorman, there is no 2500 version of the DUH-nali. Only 1500 (half ton).
Old 11-14-2006, 06:34 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I know we've discussed this many times before, but short-wheel based tow vehicles are an accident just waiting to happen as Larry just discovered by just slightly overcooking a turn. They seem wonderful going down the road when conditions are optimal, but that sense of security can disappear quickly when things deteriorate. Whether it's the Yukon/Blazer, Touareg, Explorer, or a smaller pickup like the Titan or Tundra, you're gambling with your life and the lives of others towing with a sub-optimal platform. A 3/4 ton, long wheel based vehicle is the minimum anyone with a sense of responsibility should tow with. The heavy-duty Excursion and Surburban fall into this category, but smaller SUV's don't. A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there.

Sorry for the rant; this subject always drives me nuts. Horse people seem to know better maybe because they're pulling live cargo. I rarely see a 2-horse tag behind a small tow vehicle, usually it's a dually. So why do racers minimize this vital safety issue?
I've said it myself, here, a hundred times;

But it never sinks in fully. You will always see marginal tow vehicles because it is sometimes hard to justify an expensive monster truck just to tow, or to try and drive one ever day. Most people will blissfully roll along with their trucklets (Honda Pilot? Gawd!!!) and never have a problem. I've seen the results when they do, many times.

It aint pretty, and you can't beat physics.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
It aint pretty, and you can't beat physics.
Nonsense. They're known as the "laws of physics"...so they can be repealed at any time.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Nonsense. They're known as the "laws of physics"...so they can be repealed at any time.
Hmmm...

That sounds like rationalization. You don't race by any chance, do you?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:11 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

And longer wheel base, it makes all the difference in the world.....
Then a top fuel dragster must be an awesome tow vehicle!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

"A crew cab dually is by far the best platform out there. "
That's what I use, and its great. Way too big for around town (although itis fun to see how it scares folks silly), but on the road its great.
Like when I lost a trailer wheel on the NY Thruway this summer and had no drama at all (other than my moment of 'where the heck did that trailer wheel come from? Hmm, looks kind of like one of mine...' or when I blew out another trailer tire in 100 degree heat this summer coming back from Watkins Glen on that very same Thruway.
Sure makes a great tow vehicle; bought mine used ($25k) and I realize not everyone is going to go out and get a dedicated tow vehicle.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Chris M, I would be very worried about towing any car with the pilot on a flatbed. If you have a 2000lb car with a 1500lb trailer, you are right at your limit. The pilot is really not a tow vehicle in this sense. Weight transfer matters much much less when you are not near or over GCWR.
Usually it is inside a 28' Pace towing behind a GMC 2500HD Duramax.

We have towed my buddy's car on a 895# Trailex and with a weight distribution it does an admirable job.

Normally though the Pilot is relegated to towing little utility trailers.

We generally leave the big towing to the above mentioned GMC or a Ford F350 7.3 Diesel we have.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Most likely by an appointed federal appellate judge.....
Old 11-15-2006, 12:14 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely by an appointed federal appellate judge.....
as informed by some smart-aleck know it all clerk

Quick Reply: Interesting trailer handling question