Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drove Noble now I want to upgrade my 993

Here's my Cross Post

Any thoughts?

Last edited by nota_troll; 11-12-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Decide where you want to go with your 993. DE only? Drive to track and back? Racing? Time trials? This will help you because all racing organizations have competition rules and classes.

2. Keep the BFG KDW's. Street tires will help you learn how to drive your car.

3. Safety first. At minimum, put in a roll bar, one piece Race seat, and 6 point harness. A cage is probably not a good idea for a car seeing regular street use.

4. From my memory, the 95 993 will need steer rack and rear suspension updates.

5. Suspensions and brakes are a system. Avoid the temptation of going at it a la carte. Your end point and pocket book will help you decide how aggressive you want to go with this.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by nota_troll
I have done several DEs in my M3 but only one in my prior 993. I got in a great rhythm but the WORST thing could have happened.

I drove my friend's Noble! HO BOY! What a weapon. It's balance and power was remarkable.

NOW...I need to do some reasonable track modifications. Since my car is stock I'm making my Christmas list. HWFMR members please apply.

1. Instuction every DE
2. Sell BFG KDWs (not N)
3. Install shock tower brace
4. Install PSS9s.
5. Install Camber Plates??
6. Harness? Sparco Seats?

Any thoughts?
1. Absolutely, and don't stop once you are given "Solo" status.
2. Wear them out, won't take too long
3. Get the right one, lot's of crap for sale out there (sure someone here knows, I use Smart Racing's on my SC)
4. Have yet to hear anyone say PSS9's are really good for the track.. (better than stock but quickly outgrown)..
5. Your local race shop should advise you on what you need to attain a good comprimise setup IF this is a street/track car
6. Roll bar at a minimum, good seats with opening for lower (between legs) belt, 5-6 point harnesses.
7. Brake pads and system flush and refill with ATE Blue or Gold. I love Performance Friction but ask around what the best combo is for a 993.
8. Check and rebuild all suspension bushings.
9. Proper helmet and approved H&N device
That's a start.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:04 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Admittedly compromise is tough but the car is my daily driver as well as my DE (only) car. I like to drive to and from the track.

Tires - I was suspecting the 'looseness' related to the tires because they aren't N rated. I'm not sure how much credence I should give to this.

Tower Brace - I bought one from Craig Traask (RL member).

Harness - After driving the Noble which has a harness I didn't realize the benefit of the secure fit. Now I'm a believer.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

If you saw a couple of the cars from yesterday's DE at Limerock you sure would be....
Old 11-12-2006, 12:20 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be casual with the harness setup. It is easier to be "less safe" with an improperly installed harness setup.
I've seen some back breakers!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it looks like you are truly hooked - start thinking about a dedicated track. The 993 with some upgrades will be fine for the short term, but it will eventually be not stiff enough for the track and/or too stiff for the street. A lot of us, myself included tried to find the holy grail of the perfect balance between street and track, and it just doesn't exist.

So, that said, your List looks good, although I would go with in a bolt-in roll bar, and get on of the Recaro or Sparco reclining seats with a sub strap slot - I had the Recaro SRD's before going with a Evo and was very happy - and clip in harnesses. That will tide you over for a while and you can determine if you're in this for the long haul and then make the jump to a dedicated track car.

Good luck - it only goes downhill from here.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Dedicated track car? Who the heck does THAT?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

A true track car would be ideal and I'm thinking of buying a friend's Elise. I guess that's my conundrum. I'm keenly aware that I'm on a path that may not take me there but if I can be content with the compromise I will do it.

My deduction is spend some money on the recreational DE setup not full track but are they one in the same? So I'm mostly considering full suspension (flavor not sure) and a harness and seat. No cage yet because I use the car almost every day and take my daugther to classes.

Thank you all.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do a harness without a roll bar, the stock 3 point belts are safer. I would say get a bolt in roll bar (DAS), seats and a pair of 6 point harnesses, race pads, R compounds... if you're making a track toy. If it's stll a DD I would suggest leaving it stock other than pads and track tires.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nota_troll
A true track car would be ideal and I'm thinking of buying a friend's Elise.
Thank you all.
Not sure of what DE's you have where you are but out here some PCA regions (CVR for one) won't let anyone but instructors run non-Porsche's. Not sure if that has changed recently though as there was an Elise (who destroyed his tail) and a Miata running in the lower groups in our last DE of the season. Elise driver was a trooper though, couple rolls of (amazing color match) orange race tape and he ran it the next day!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:15 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ 996
Don't do a harness without a roll bar, the stock 3 point belts are safer. I would say get a bolt in roll bar (DAS), seats and a pair of 6 point harnesses, race pads, R compounds... if you're making a track toy. If it's stll a DD I would suggest leaving it stock other than pads and track tires.
Thanks for the suggestions Doug. I'm leaning towards

a) more instruction
b) shock tower brace (already have one)
c) tire pressures
Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the PCA regions here in the Midwest allow all types of cars to run DEs..usually there is a registration for Porsche only, then after a certain date, others can apply. In our case, Kansas City Region out of Heartland Park-Topeka, we are symbiotic with KC BMW club and the Audi club. At most of our events we have everything from Z06s to Cup cars to WRXs to RX7s etc... my last group 1 student brought a Ford GT (40)! Makes for a lot of fun with all the different machinery...and competetiveness.

///Nick
Old 11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I agree 100% Nick, I enjoyed running with a Mini and an early M3 this weekend. As long as Porsches get 1st shot i'm all for running whatever you have that is track-safe!

Quick Reply: Drove Noble now I want to upgrade my 993