Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building the Ultimate 944 Cup....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006 | 11:45 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Brant - you still gonna race the Cup car or is it getting retired from active duty?

Let me kow if you need any help. I could use some help from someone with a lift to pull an engine and will trade you labor for lift time.
Old 11-03-2006 | 12:09 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Hi Skip!

The cup car will still be "on duty"! My motivation for the 944 comes from Charlie and my desire to chase him down this season if i can.....We finished his car last winter and decided to try another one...that way we can finally settle the "who's faster" question...I will gladly help out anytime...Charlie, Todd and myself can be at your place pretty quickly and we all have alot of 944 experience (some of it useful!!)...just give me a call and we'll be there.
Old 11-03-2006 | 12:11 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

and you're welcome to use the lift anytime.. the garage is open for business! Call me when you get a minute or maybe see you at Stoddards this weekend.
Old 11-03-2006 | 12:29 AM
svochuck
Instructor

Just a thought....

buy the highest cost engine and race it under scca rules ...

spend a ton at paragon products and build it to pca rules.

or .... build it to "944-spec" rules and race it "944 cup" this is a build/class of car with a lower weight than the other 2 builds ? lower weight less cost.

just a thought...

also with the money saved you could build 2 cars and have a back up. I bet you could sell that 2.7 engine for some good coin.... the turbo guys really like that 2.7 .

from the 944-spec forum.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....r=asc&start=10

? "I dont know if any of the 44cup guys are on here, but is there any chance that they would consider adding a seperate class for cars prepared to 944 spec if they could get enough entrys. Since I cant see a spec 944 even with weight advantage being even close to an its or similarly prepared cars.

reply.

We have given thought to that idea of adding another class. We had decided not to because we found that the lap times for spec and cup cars were close enough that it would provide too much overlap between the 2 classes. The downside is that we end up spreading the class fields too thin
--- reducing the competition rather then making a change to increase competition. We have seen this happen in PCA and some in NASA where there are so many classes that are too close together that you end up having too few cars in class to race against. If you look at how the 944 Cup is designed, combining numerous 944 models together when practical is the way we go about things. A somewhat different approach from 944 spec, but similar in that both series attempt to minimize the number of classes with in the series'.

That is why we ended up including the PCA SP1(944 spec) cars in the 944 Cup class but at a reduced weight. We plan to lower the weight again to 2550 lbs for 2007 in an attempt to further balance the field. While many of the cars in the 944 Cup class have minimal differences in suspension from a spec car, the most frequent difference is the tires. We did happen to have a few legal 944 spec cars run in the series with us this past year, and a few did show to be very fast. I know of 2 poduims. "

just a thought
chuck
Old 11-03-2006 | 01:58 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bgiere
and you're welcome to use the lift anytime.. the garage is open for business! Call me when you get a minute or maybe see you at Stoddards this weekend.
no ****e Stoddard's still in business? and the Brecksville Bees.

Spent some time near the Cuyahoga long ago (John Carroll)

Cleveburg's a great town
Old 11-03-2006 | 06:04 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Yep - Stoddards is still going strong. Chuck Stoddard sold it to Porsche who just recently sold it to a group of local businessmen.

Brant - we'll rap on Saturday.
Old 11-03-2006 | 08:51 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
yup, even with soft suspension i can torque the car and spin the inside tire. Ir really irks me to have to drive around the open diff.
How do you "torque" a car? Is that the secret to running 1:32's at SP?
Old 11-03-2006 | 09:03 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Indeed, GTS1 is designed explicitly for the 944 to be readily competitive (as of '05 I think?)

What Russ said about the cage; I had the same reaction when I saw your post, to make sure the correct attachment points were covered. His avatar is IMO the perfect example of how I think the rear supports should be attached - doubly so if using a rear coilover w/ weak or removed t-bars. Make sure to grab the sills with the main hoop and a-pillar bars, not to the floor. My OG cage is like this, except the rear braces go to further back on the trunk floor, at the filler tube for the tank. I've seen some that I don't really agree with that go all the way to the back of the trunk - IMO messes with the proper factory crush zones. Biggest horror story I've seen is a cage builder only familiar with FWD cars trying to put the rear braces to the wheel wells. We nixed that one but quick!!

Up front, nothing real special other than to get a dash bar installed at an appropriate level - no knee-cappers here! Mine's just above the steering column, isn't bad except that it interferes with switchgear. A little higher would be nicer, but more work.

I also agree don't go nuts with cross-bracing; extra weight on a chassis that IMO is pretty darn stiff already. You're not putting a cage in a Honda, here! Basic structure with addition of dash bar, crossbar in the halo, etc, to add strength to the weak front left corner, that's what you want IMO.
Old 11-03-2006 | 09:05 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, torquing a car is easy... just brush the tires at 70mph...

+1 about the LSD; before I put one in my car, it was no problem to light up the inside rear, even with 30mm t-bars and a 19mm rear bar, and that's with a 2.0L NA motor - maybe 120hp! Only gets worse as you add displacement...
Old 11-03-2006 | 11:39 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike! Go Bee's!

What about bushings? Any recommendations? Racer's Edge? Lindsey?
Old 11-03-2006 | 03:26 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
You may want to hang on a bit for the end of November. NASA national is going to annouce some things related to 944 spec and 944 racing in general. It is an attempt to gather the 944 racing fields. In Ohio 944 cup and 944 spec are not super strong. Lots of Cup cars at nationals ..........
No need for anyone to concern themselves with the NASA rule changes in the works if your planning to race in the 944 Cup. The 944 Cup rules are not under the control of NASA and will remain bascially the same for 2007. In consideration of the racers in the series and those building cars, we will continue to minimize any changes going forward.

The series does plan to add 2 Mid Ohio Rounds to the schedule next year in response to requests by numerous 944 racers in the area.

Dave Derecola
944 Cup
National Director
Old 11-03-2006 | 04:26 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

I would use Elephant Racing's spring plate bushings and then either Racers Edge or Elephant Racing - whoever is cheaper - for everything else.
Old 11-03-2006 | 07:08 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

How about Lexan/Polycarbonate windows and a hatch...What companies are a good source?
Old 11-03-2006 | 07:15 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
How about Lexan/Polycarbonate windows and a hatch...What companies are a good source?

Apex Performance is a great source for the hatch and winshield :http://www.apexperformance.net/ . Not shown on the web site, but call and talk to Linda.

For quarter windows, check with Dave at Inertiawerks: RennSales@earthlink.net

Mention your racing with the 944 Cup for a price break.
Old 11-03-2006 | 07:47 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave...I did not realize Apex had Lexan available.

Quick Reply: Building the Ultimate 944 Cup....?