Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new kart

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:44 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!!! I went with a non-shifter (same basic package as yours without the tranny and front brakes) just because shifters on kart courses make for a BUSY experience - and I've got my hands full just getting the line and learning good wheel-to-wheel moves. I would highly recommend checking out if anyone is running them on the big tracks out there. There's an outfit out here www.nckroadracing.com, that runs karts on the big tracks. A 125 shifter will kick the snot out of any porsche (and any other non-indy/F1 car) on just about any "big" road course. Talk about a rush! I'm definitely going to have to do that one day.

And yes, it all transfers very well - almost every pro driver in every series started in karts. Like others have said, once you're fast in a kart, cars will feel extremely slow. You can also work on your left-foot braking!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

don't even get started on the performance specs of 250 superkarts
Old 11-09-2006, 07:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,745 Posts

There are at least two big races a year in SoCal for karts on big tracks. One is at Streets of Willow and the other is at California Speedway where they use part of the NASCAR oval before dipping down into the infield (it's called the King Taco Open -- funny name, but the sponser is the owner of a restaurant chain and is big into karting in SoCal). It's not unheard of to get 125cc up over 100MPH. Where aero isn't a big factor in karting, here it is as the straight is so long that normal chassis, bumpers, sidepods etc. have to be changed out.

Drafting and trains on the straight are huge, not unlike NASCARS on super speedways. It's totally different than the normal karting you see.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I just ran at Streets of Willow with the POC last weekend, the top time was a 1:21.3 run by a 993 bodied GT car with a turbo engine and a good driver - similar times were run by a friend of mine in his 125 shifter earlier this year and he didn't even make the podium. Amazing performance for the money. I'm watching the classifieds now and plan on picking up a 125 TAG when I sell some of my other toys.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Absolutely the cheapest way to improve your skills greatly. Try racing them a couple of times - usually the field is FAR more competitive than in any big car "club" races. And if you go up against the IKF regional studs, well, you might as well be racing <insert favorite pro driver name here>
Old 11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are some links to Rotax karting....

http://www.rmaxchallenge.com/
http://sscracing.com/
http://www.maxchallenge-rotax.com/

Rotax is a great class, sealed Touch And Go (TAG), electric start, reliable low maintenance engines, very level playing field.

My son spent 2 years in Cadets and moved straight to Junior Rotax, had a good first season.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

My new shifter is AWESOME!!! I ran about 34 laps and had a total run time of about 36 minutes and it has taken most of the week for the soreness to go away!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the next time on the track.

Mike
Old 11-09-2006, 10:26 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

sidebar: everyone praises how good karting is for developing skills, and how its so much fun because of the speeds and g-forces...why isn't it more popular then?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by penguinking
sidebar: everyone praises how good karting is for developing skills, and how its so much fun because of the speeds and g-forces...why isn't it more popular then?

Cool factor and locations.

Most people look at me funny when I say I have 2 race karts. Then I tell them how fast they go etc. etc.

Also limited places to run in some areas.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinking
Without question it is the biggest bang for the buck. I miss my kart and have seriously thought about getting another one, not to necessary race again, but to keep my skills sharp. I feel I'm not as good a driver as I was when I raced karts. A lot of the F1 drivers drive karts in the off season to keep them sharp.

I believe it was Brian Herta that put two 125cc engines on his kart to simulate the power to weight of his Indy car during the off season.

There are three reasons I got out and from what I've seen, others that are not fanatical about it last about 3-5 years.

1. Tracks are closing up due to urban sprawl. San Diego used to have two tracks, now they're gone and Qualcomm stadium lot is being used. Moran Raceway built by the Rocky Moran racing family opened up a wonderful track about 3 years ago. It's 1.1 miles long, elevation changes, various types of turns, FIA approved, curbing, even a series of corners that simulate the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Best track west of the Mississippi, but they just sold out to Lowe's to expand their distribution yard... after being open only 3 years!!!

2. Two stroke engines are a pain in the A$$. When compared to the cars I use for the track, there is no comparison. The amount of time wrenching outweights the driving time for karts.

3. Needed to concentrate on my kid in the kart. I couldn't race, have her race and wrench in between heats. It was too much.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

there ARE a few road racing series around, WKA included.

i guess i'll say that the amout of available track time for a kart is severely limited compared to automobiles. definetly the "sexiness" factor goes away with a kart, along with the ability to use it as a dual purpose (daily driver / track car).

but there are many...MANY! people out there who race to gain experience, or have DE only track cars...if their ultimate purpose is to learn how to race and become better drivers, shouldn't the kart races be flooded with entries?

...ook sorrry again sidebar
Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're in CA check out Moran Raceway.

http://www.moranraceway.com/
Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Barfly
Racer

I too, have just joined the karting club. I bought a MMK chassis with a Motori Seven motor with the new 9cc head (supposedly, per Mike Manning, a motor that can run times as fast, if not faster than the leopard this year).

It's good times...and I have to say, I don't miss running the car when I am pulling 2+ Gs in a kart.

Quick Reply: new kart