Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-seize on lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 02:35 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

I am pretty sure that Porsche only recommends Optimoly HT when using aluminum lug nuts. I really can't see how Optimoly HT does not act like a lubricant. All torque values for lug nuts I have seen are for dry threads. When using a lubricant, you reduce torque by 30%. For race cars, I don't see a good reason to use a lube of any kind unless you are using titanium or aluminum with steel. Steel lug nuts on steel studs don't need a lube. The NASCAR guys don't use lubricants on their lug nuts.....they do more with steel lug nuts in a day than many of us do in 4 race weekends.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:23 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Could someone kindly direct me to a diagram with arrows that point to these parts of the nut?

Thinly grease thread, shank and under head (between screw head bearing surface and spherical cap ring) of the wheel bolts with Optimoly TA (aluminum paste). Do not grease bearing surface of the spherical cap facing the wheel

I am quite sure I know what the threads of the nut is, but beyond that, I need help please!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:51 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (05-12-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:35 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you, but I suppose the nuts for a 993 do not have a "moveable spherical ring cap". They don't look like the ones in your picture. Rather, they look like the nuts in Porsche TSB. Aluminum Wheel Nuts" 5/85 - Special Tool P 300 - 07.06.8507.06.85
Old 05-10-2021, 03:41 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 108 Posts

If you ask 10 people, you will get 12 or more opinions. Theory bit FWIW: yes, it affects bolt stretch for a given torque value, but that's not necessarily a problem. We remember our Mechanical Engineering 101 class and Young's Modulus, which is a measure of the constant and linear relationship between stress and strain up to a material's yield strength. So as long as we're operating in that range, a little more stretch is not a problem. See Wikipedia for some more details. We are not torquing our M14 lugs to yield, at least I hope you guys are not.

My own experience, and many others', is that keeping the bolt threads coated with a light smear is a very good thing that does no harm. If your car is a dedicated race car that sees its fasteners cycled frequently, I guess you can get away without it. If there's some chance you're going to some day find yourself trying to get a flat tire swapped in cold, wet weather, you'll be grateful for the anti-seize.

BTW, Porsche insists on the use of no anti-seize on any of the Dacromet coated fasteners used on late model cars. I have a couple of '08 model Porsches and can tell you that driven four seasons, they do corrode and can be jolly fun to get apart. I use anti-seize on them and believe Porsche's guidance here is questionable and unrealistic for anyone owning a car that's more than a few years old.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:12 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

You all are awesome and I appreciate the amazing level of detail. My personal comfort zone is found by precisely following Porsche's guidance for my type car. They seem to provide that guidance in the recently attached bulletin, but they just don't show arrows! Let's pretend I have the intellect of a small child. I need arrows for my specific nuts because any term beyond 'threads' needs some definition in my mind. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I am pretty sure that Porsche only recommends Optimoly HT when using aluminum lug nuts. I really can't see how Optimoly HT does not act like a lubricant. All torque values for lug nuts I have seen are for dry threads. When using a lubricant, you reduce torque by 30%. For race cars, I don't see a good reason to use a lube of any kind unless you are using titanium or aluminum with steel. Steel lug nuts on steel studs don't need a lube. The NASCAR guys don't use lubricants on their lug nuts.....they do more with steel lug nuts in a day than many of us do in 4 race weekends.
Bump. No lubricant is the way to go for track use -- and in between events during the season. If you are going to mount wheels for years of sequential use, then maybe, but then why? That's why you have a breaker bar and a good lug-gun right? Are you going to use a tire iron? Sheesh, just put them on dry and toughen up a little huh? Don't make me ask my hooker what she thinks about wet nuts...
Old 05-11-2021, 02:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I am pretty sure that Porsche only recommends Optimoly HT when using aluminum lug nuts
Just prior to the release of the 964, back in 1988 they stopped recommending copper-based anti-seize on aluminum/steel fastener connections that were exposed to water. I am assuming it had something to do with the durability testing that model went through?
Old 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Permatex says in their product documentation that they do not recommend using their anti-seize products on lug nuts or lug bolts.
The following users liked this post:
JasonAndreas (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 03:35 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Would someone be so kind as to put an arrow in the attached pic pointing to the 'shoulder' of these specific 993 aluminum nuts (original Porsche parts)? I believe I can figure out where the threads are. I suppose it's ok to put the stuff on the threads of the bolts in order to get them on the nuts. This is nuts! I don't want to have to deal with seized nuts on the side of the road some day.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:03 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Would someone be so kind as to put an arrow in the attached pic pointing to the 'shoulder' of these specific 993 aluminum nuts (original Porsche parts)?
The part of the lug nut with anodizing worn away that comes into contact with the wheel?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 05-11-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:04 PM
winders
Race Car

The shoulder is the only other part of the nut that touches something. With Porsche nuts, it is the radius that contacts the wheel.

Quick Reply: Anti-seize on lug nuts?