Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable Harness Bar for DE (only DEs ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Removable Harness Bar for DE (only DEs ;)

Does anyone have a harness bar and belt setup that they only use for DEs? I'm getting pretty sore from my single shoulder belt.

My car (2000 996) is a daily driver and I plan on about 6 or 7 DE events a year. I want a "contraption" that I can install/remove each time (and then use the regular belt for daily driving). All of the topics I found discussed serious permanent setups and not a temporary (repeatable) solution.

Thanks in advance,

-td
Old 10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you need to be more specific as to the time you are looking to spend to remove the bar and harnesses. A Das Sport bar is bolt-in and can be removed in a decent amount of time. You would need to remove the seats to get the bar in/out.

Steve
Old 10-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 230 Likes on 140 Posts

I use Schroth harnesses with GT3 seats, and my stock 3 point belt is right there for street driving. You can have both.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind you'll need to have points for you harness ends to snap into, which will likely mean having to pull the seats, add the bar, swap out the buckles for the harness ends, then reinstall the seats.

Either that or come up with some contraption that allows to to concurrently use the same mount point for both the harness end points and the 3 point buckle.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

If it is side to side motion you are trying to get rid of you could always try a seat upgrade instead. I've found that in leather seats without good side bolsters a harness doesn't help as much as I'd like.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smankow
I think that you need to be more specific as to the time you are looking to spend to remove the bar and harnesses. A Das Sport bar is bolt-in and can be removed in a decent amount of time. You would need to remove the seats to get the bar in/out.

Steve
Sorry if there is any confusion in my post. I simply assumed that people that used a "removable system" would understand what I meant by having one they could take out. Sure, I understand that you can weld one in, and unweld it, or buy a complete harness truss that takes a day to install and uninstall, and that you could (in theory) "remove" them. But I intended to solicit responses from people who actually took a harness bar in and out.

To avoid any further confusion, I don't want to install and repeatedly "undo" a permanent harness setup and call that "removable." Rather, I would like input from people that take their DD to DEs and swap in/out a harness bar. Or from people that have harness bars installed, and "know" that they could remove them relatively quickly and easily if they wanted to. And if someone out there actually does do the swap, how long does the drill take?

-td
Old 10-30-2006, 07:08 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Well, there are no 30 second solutions, but it looks like the quickest is the BK harness truss, if you leave the rear bar in permanently (see instructions )

For all that, I'd be inclined to bolt in something serious like a DAS bar at the start of the season, and only take it out for the winter.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NNH
Well, there are no 30 second solutions, but it looks like the quickest is the BK harness truss, if you leave the rear bar in permanently (see instructions )

For all that, I'd be inclined to bolt in something serious like a DAS bar at the start of the season, and only take it out for the winter.
Great idea! BTW- do you CA folks have an off season? We have DEs almost all year round. There's even an event in Houston in December, and one here in Feb...

-td
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to add additional complication to what you want to be an easy solution, but be certain what you are after is allowed, now and in the future, by the organizations that will be running your track events. In our Region, PCA and Geographic, beginning next year the "harness guide bar" and harnesses that terminate at the rear seat belt mounts, will no longer be allowed. The harnesses will need to terminate close to the seats, either on a full roll bar or on a harness truss bar like Brey-Kraus sells. Terminating the harnesses at the rear mounts, and the resultant long run for the harnesses, has been found to allow as much as 7" of stretch during a hard frontal impact.

You can terminate the lap belt portions of the harness at the same terminals as the three point belts if you get the proper B-K adapters.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by td873
Great idea! BTW- do you CA folks have an off season? We have DEs almost all year round. There's even an event in Houston in December, and one here in Feb...

-td

Glad to help!

I'm not sure if Californians have an off season, but I have a "going skiing instead of trackdays" season!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
DGuida
Advanced

too many new rules, never ending
Old 10-31-2006, 08:24 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first started DEing, I did so in my 996 C4 Cab with a Brey-Krause harness bar and Schroth belts. You need to change the seat mounting bolts and add the hardware to fasten the belts, but once that's done, the whole contraption is a 10 minute in/out chnage in a cab. Don't know about a coupe, but it was a good way to get started for me, and I didn't have a lot of unsightly stuff in the car when it wasn't being tracked.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 PM
bnewport
Racer

I have a DasSport Weekender 4 pt bar, GT3 driver side seat, Recaro Pole Position Passenger side with BK inboard mount point, BK back braces and 6pt Simpson polyester harnesses. I'm debating selling my car and buying a Radical/DSR type car. Give me a PM.

Quick Reply: Removable Harness Bar for DE (only DEs ;)