Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl instead of paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006 | 02:05 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
So are you asking about the potential to save 2 or 3 pounds by using vynil???
Yes and no. I was told it's not 5 10 pounds, it's 40 at the end of a season (endurance races of 6 hrs each) and the car never look as good as with vynil I was told...
JM
Old 10-31-2006 | 02:18 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I don't think it would be worth it for a solid color, but if you want custom graphics and your paint is looking worn out it is a good option. It's also a good idea if you want wild graphics that can easily be removed for resale.

I don't think you're going to save any significant amount of weight, even if the difference was a few pounds we need to realize this isn't a LMP or F1 car and it isn't going to make the car measurably faster.
Old 10-31-2006 | 10:09 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Does anyone have experience "wrapping" a car vs painting it?
The guys here tell me that every time you repaint a car you add 10 lbs of paint so at the end of the season you're carrying way too much weight (I do anyway with a 40" waist!) but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with vynil.
TIA
JM
Jean Marc, it's good to see your name again! FWIW, this is a white car, wrapped for Le Mans 2004. In fact, I believe the company that did the wrap was UK-based (would have to check with K Buckler to be sure).

TRG 24 Hours of Le Mans 2004
Old 11-01-2006 | 05:58 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob C.
Jean Marc, it's good to see your name again! FWIW, this is a white car, wrapped for Le Mans 2004. In fact, I believe the company that did the wrap was UK-based (would have to check with K Buckler to be sure).

TRG 24 Hours of Le Mans 2004
Hi Bob, what a beauty! I've been racing in the UK for 2 years now... Bought a 996 RS with sequential gearbox today - would like to make it pretty like this one! I still look at your pics every couple of days in my office!
JM

Quick Reply: Vinyl instead of paint