Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPOILER...An American is crowned champion on an improbable Sunday!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:16 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking SPOILER...An American is crowned champion on an improbable Sunday!!

An American finally wins a motorsports world championship! Nicky Hayden won the MotoGp World Championship on an improbable Sunday when the Doctor crashed his bike very early in the race. Nicky looked like he would have to settle for 2nd place in the world championship when his own team mate crashed him out of the last race. This time Pedrosa played the role of supporting team mate and all Nicky had to do was ride home comfortably to take the title.

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/index.htm

Wow!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome job by Nicky. He is from a town near my hometown and is a great ambassador for the US and MotoGP.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:12 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

He really deserves this one. I would not have reacted as well as he did when Pedrosa took him out a couple of weeks ago.

I hope the new Honda 800cc machine is competitive next year. The Repsol Honda fell behind the Yamaha and Ducati competition the last third of th season.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 AM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thrilled to see Nicky win the title. It seemed like no one was giving him a chance. Just goes to show that it's not over till it's over. The poll on the Moto GP site had him buried.

How about the yellow and white smoke celebration at the end.

Dan.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great job!

I like the "doctor" a lot but it was great to see someone else win and great that American won after fairly long hiatus (Kenny Jr. won in 2000, correct?).

My bets are on Doctor or Capirossi for next year though, I predict this is one timer for NH.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-30-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
An American finally wins a motorsports world championship! Nicky Hayden won the MotoGp World Championship on an improbable Sunday when the Doctor crashed his bike very early in the race. Nicky looked like he would have to settle for 2nd place in the world championship when his own team mate crashed him out of the last race. This time Pedrosa played the role of supporting team mate and all Nicky had to do was ride home comfortably to take the title.

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/index.htm

Wow!
Glad to see an American do well in that sport. I couldn't believe when Pedrosa took him out!!! Reminded me of when Montoya took Kimi out at Indy this year (along with 1/3 of the field)!!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Flying Finn]Great job!

I like the "doctor" a lot

I like the Doctor too. I think he is on par, as a racer, with Senna and Schumacher. He can turn it on any time he wants. It's hard to believe he just "fell off".

Dan.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:33 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An American finally wins a motorsports world championship!
Congrats to Nicky

Finally ??? You say that like an American has never won a World Championship.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

There have been previous motor bike world champions. Kenny Roberts Jr won his championship years ago. When was the last American F1 champion? Mario Andretti?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Doctor too. I think he is on par, as a racer, with Senna and Schumacher. He can turn it on any time he wants. It's hard to believe he just "fell off".
I read an interview with the Doctor after the race and he said he was stuck in-between a couple of bikes and wasn't able to get enough airflow to his bike. This caused the bike to overheat a bit and he said this robbed him of about 15-25% of his power. So he didn't have enough power to get by and make the pass. So he tried to force the issue and ending up tucking the front and it was all over.

So as much as I am a Rossi fan, I was also rooting for Nicky this season. If you like your racing close, competitive and with lots of passing, MotoGP is the place to be. Great Season!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There have been previous motor bike world champions. Kenny Roberts Jr won his championship years ago. When was the last American F1 champion? Mario Andretti?
In deed, that (Andretti's F1 WDC) was 28 years ago...
Old 10-31-2006, 11:23 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kenny Roberts 500cc GP World Champ 78,79,80
Kenny Jr 500cc GP Word Champ 2000
Wayne Raniey 500cc GP World Champ 90
John Kocinski 250cc GP World Champ 90
Danny Laporte 250cc MX World Champ 88
Brad Lackey 500cc MX World Camp 82

By no means is it lack of talent that there are not many more American World Champs, more money to be made here at home and the difficulty of being away from home for months at a time to run the World circuit is a big factor IMHO.

My background is in MX so I know more names in that area, but just think if Bob Hannah, Jeff Ward, Rick Johnson, David Bailey, Jeramy Mcgrath, Ricky Carmicheal had decided to go for the World title.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Few other names of 500 cc world champions

Kenny Roberts Sr. 1978,1979,1980
Eddie Lawson 1984,1986,1988,1989
Wayne Rainey 1990, 1991, 1992
Kevin Schwantz 1993
Kenny Roberts Jr 2000

I met Wayne Rainey once and he is a very nice person and very easy to talk to. Wayne tears up the track at Laguna Seca on a hand controlled formula cart.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

If you guys want to see a cool MotoGP documentary that shows some of the history and rivalries rent or buy "Faster". It is a really cool movie with lots of candid interviews with past and current MotoGP riders, lots of good on track footage, and good insight into the sport. I rented it from Netflix and actually watched it a couple of times before I sent it back.

Quick Reply: SPOILER...An American is crowned champion on an improbable Sunday!!