Sponsored by:

Randy pobst to drive 550hp evo this weekend at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:48 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Randy pobst to drive 550hp evo this weekend at Laguna Seca

Im off to our last SCCA ITE race this weekend. However, there will be a guest driver running the 550hp Evo that has been winning ITE, because the vipers cant keep their cars on the road, or meet sound and i have 150 less hp. I only win when the the Evo breaks and that has only happed a couple of times.

The owner is kent jordan, a nice guy with unlimited resourses and has John Mueller's son's performance company (Mueullerized) prepare the car. he has 2 years of racing now and certainly is getting fast. however, having mop up the field with 150extra hp, doesnt give you the best "in traffic" experience!
anyway, Randy will be driving the Evo in the Super Unlimited class called SP.
Kent will be driving it in our class ITE.

should be interesting to see if he is the 2 seconds faster than kent as i predict and that would be about 2 seconds slower than a time that Randy in the Audi RS6 in speed World Challenge GT would run.
kent's best : 1:34.7
randy in the RS6 was 1:31.xx, but with the new track that will be 1:29.xx
Randy in the Evo will probably be 1:32.xx

should be a great spectator race, with the evo, some cup cars and lots of Nascar like Southwest Touring cars going at it!

Grass Roots racing magazine will be out there as well taking shots to do a story on the Holbert porsche 928 that ive been racing for 5 years now, with the theme of the article based on driver that still drive to all races and drive home afterwards. as it stands now, Ive logged 75 race days with my 928 and have alwasys driven it home!

Mark
Old 10-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark kibort
As it stands now, Ive logged 75 race days with my 928 and have always driven it home!

Mark
Mark, that is truly impressive, 75 race days! Many end up breaking something in that period to an extent that it needs to be trailered home.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:07 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks! The car is truely amazing. especially since im driving it to and from the track, and have been for 5 years.

Just drove home after qualifying. (go to love living only 1.3 hour from laguna and Sears!)
anyway, qualified 3rd behind , GET THIS, Randy Pobst is also driving a Grand Am cup GS car (x -Boris Said, Anders Hainer BMW) Its real fast. we ran against each other during qualifying, but he had been pop'ped for noise, and came back out and we ran a lap again with each other. The darn thing pulled me down the straight slightly, and can that BMW turn in! anyway, i bet the cars are actually pretty close (the 928 and the new BMW e46 GAC car with no balast). Didnt see Randy doing anything that i couldnt keep up with, however, i think the brand new set of $1500 Hoosiers vs my 2003 set of toyo commuter RA1s was the difference. If he runs any faster, it will be pretty close to the full PTG BMWs that won many of the SpeedGT races in 2003

Randy ran 1:37.8 in the bmw I ran 1:39.00 in the 928. The Evo ran 1:37.6 as they are having misfiring issues. (randy drove it in another class to a time of 1:35.3 or something. I think that is solved as tonight before i left the track. Randy Pobst will then be driving the Evo in the SuperUnlimited group against the nascar like cars and porsche GT3 cup cars and a panos or two.
Randy will also be driving the Evo in the 4 hour enduro with John Mueller (Lee Mueller's son) and kent Jordan the owner of both cars.

should be interesting

MK

Mk
Old 10-28-2006, 10:46 AM
kingkyle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, please keep us posted on the race. Any sites that cover the event? photos?

Dont you think Randy can cut more than 2 sec of Kent? I would think so.

-Kyle
Old 10-28-2006, 12:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think they are keeping the boy down with boost!

yes, i predicted he would run 2 seconds faster than kent in that car, but if he doesnt, it doesnt have the same power . 3 weeks ago when he ran his 1:34.xx, the boost was turned WAY up. something like 460-470 at the rear wheels! now , back to 440 at the rears. all out of a 2.4 liter!! amazing!

im more worried about the GAC BMW M3 and randy driving it. Sofro's old car.

Im off to the tire changer right now to put on some newer garbage can tires from speed gt last weekend. one of the slow vipers, left some nice ones in the can!!

no sites, but the SCCA site for SFR region. results will be posted on tuesday.

Mk

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Thanks, please keep us posted on the race. Any sites that cover the event? photos?

Dont you think Randy can cut more than 2 sec of Kent? I would think so.

-Kyle
Old 10-28-2006, 01:40 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

out of curiosity, what are your racing costs? just tying this in with the previous thread.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:00 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Mark,

Are there any other competetive Porsches in ITE besides the famous Kibort 928? I see that Scott Graham is 10th in points in a '82 911 and Soonwalla is in 14th with a '74 911.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

So Mark,

We hear all about the reliability of the 928 in racing. Is there a chance we'll see a 928 run the 25hrs at Thunderhill. I think that would be the obvious next step in the evolution of the Holbert 928
Old 10-28-2006, 11:20 PM
kingkyle
Track Day

I think they are keeping the boy down with boost!

yes, i predicted he would run 2 seconds faster than kent in that car, but if he doesnt, it doesnt have the same power . 3 weeks ago when he ran his 1:34.xx, the boost was turned WAY up. something like 460-470 at the rear wheels! now , back to 440 at the rears. all out of a 2.4 liter!! amazing!

im more worried about the GAC BMW M3 and randy driving it. Sofro's old car.

Im off to the tire changer right now to put on some newer garbage can tires from speed gt last weekend. one of the slow vipers, left some nice ones in the can!!

no sites, but the SCCA site for SFR region. results will be posted on tuesday.

Mk

Having an Evo track/race car, Randy will def run under 30. Not taking anything away from Kent. I think Randy will show the world what that evo can do.

-Kyle
Old 10-29-2006, 02:40 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Weird, Did you say a GAC GS car was turning faster laptimes than WCGT spec cars?

GAC cars are prertty heavy, have more chassis restrictions and the M3's from GAC are usually under 340whp, plus they have the GAC hoohoo's.

I'd be interested to see how much faster that Evo can run at full speed with the same driver to the GAC m3, it should be considerably faster with 550hp and non-gac slicks.

Thats awesome that you could drive that car to/from the track, says a lot about the car, or maybe it just needs to be pushed more lol j/k

It should be interesting to see the 335d's being run at the 25hrs.

What have been Kent's major competitors who give him the best run for his money?

BMW club Cmod class cars (approx 360bhp for the cars in question) are running 1:37 flat at laguna.

Randy ran a 1:28.5 in a 911 cup in WCGT in the last race, RA-1's.

GAC GS times are 1:39's

Last edited by 95m3racer; 10-29-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

No, never said a GAC was faster or even close to WC PTG BMWs. However randy running a 1:37.8 is only 3 seconds off auberlin's time when he did drive a BMW PTG WC monster! Your right, GAC BMWs and porsches are in the high 138s to 1:40s. However, its with ballast, AND, the track is 1-2 seconds faster now at laguna. IM usually, 1:40.xx and now running consistant 1:39s with no changes. (actually the car hasnt changed in 5 years, well only small mods)

GAC BMWs have some good power. (ive been told several times 325ish rwhp as you kind of mention) I was amazed how much it did have. even more impressive was its cornering and turn in speed. actually, when good club guys are running them, the cars have less hp and weight, so its more cat and mouse. But heck the GAC BMW has full moton set up, brand new Hoosiers, and a top pro driver. Im running 3 year old used toyos, 20year old doctor car, stock everything except some headers, and the same rwhp. I was glad i could make a pass on Randy and hold him off for about a lap!

so yes, Randy in the 550hp evo vs Randy in the GAC GS BMW was about 3-4 seconds. maybe more if he pushed the Evo at the high HP settings. so far, he has turned about the same times as the owner, but has no way been trying to set a record (I believe). we alll think its a competition, Randy could probalby care less!

one last note about the times at the end of your post
Randy's WC victory is hardly a cup car, think of it as a GT3RS with a narrow body. The BMW club guys in Cmod , for which Jame Sofronas tested one of those at laguna running 1:37.xx. it was on REAL slicks, not DOTs. rear wheel hp of those e36 BMWs are anywhere from 285 to 320rwhp (300+ for the ones running 1:37 on slicks). many of them weigh 2500lbs as well empty

mk

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
Weird, Did you say a GAC GS car was turning faster laptimes than WCGT spec cars?

GAC cars are prertty heavy, have more chassis restrictions and the M3's from GAC are usually under 340whp, plus they have the GAC hoohoo's.

I'd be interested to see how much faster that Evo can run at full speed with the same driver to the GAC m3, it should be considerably faster with 550hp and non-gac slicks.

Thats awesome that you could drive that car to/from the track, says a lot about the car, or maybe it just needs to be pushed more lol j/k

It should be interesting to see the 335d's being run at the 25hrs.

What have been Kent's major competitors who give him the best run for his money?

BMW club Cmod class cars (approx 360bhp for the cars in question) are running 1:37 flat at laguna.

Randy ran a 1:28.5 in a 911 cup in WCGT in the last race, RA-1's.

GAC GS times are 1:39's
Old 10-30-2006, 02:05 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Probably not! (run under 1:30) figure the audi RS6 Randy drove in WC would be somewhere the other top 5 SpeedGT cars were this year. 1:30s in the race. now, the S4 was pretty close to the RS6 as randy proved a couple of years ago. however, there is no way the evo would run this fast. Fast, but not that fast. If your evo doesnt have the wide body kit and run 305s on all 4 corners, thats another set of factor huge for a very tall narrow car.

also keep in mind, the track is 2 seconds faster now, so the 1:34s that they are running are probalby more like being on the old track and running 1:36s!

mk

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Having an Evo track/race car, Randy will def run under 30. Not taking anything away from Kent. I think Randy will show the world what that evo can do.

-Kyle
Old 10-30-2006, 02:13 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Over 5 years, only oil changes, brakes, gas and entry fees. (and sometimes hotel costs and $20 per tire used from world challenge GT)

no trailer, no storage, no tune ups or worn out parts. There was a funny cam problem that i swapped out for stock 1985 928 cams modified to fit the S4, but that was preventative due to a one off situation no one had heard of before. That entire ordeal was a $350 mod on a set of used $400 cams, from Elgin Cams and a few hours of my time.

the race season is 10 to 12 races per year, and i finish in 1-4th place every race, no DNFs! and always driven home. Got to love porsche dependability!

MK

Originally Posted by karlooz
out of curiosity, what are your racing costs? just tying this in with the previous thread.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:23 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

wow, 24hours. I cant even imagine running a car that long. kind of a few season in a day! Ive thought about it. now would be the time, as long as there was someway to get sponsorship to have some expences paid for and a new transmission waiting for me at the end! I wonder how it would do.
for one thing, it could run the times ive been running and do it on a 4 -6 hours a set of tires. Hmmm, 14 gals of gas per hour X 24 hours .....
Lots of things to worry and think about.

MK

PS, as far as other 911s running in ITE SCCA, there really hasnt been that many.

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
So Mark,

We hear all about the reliability of the 928 in racing. Is there a chance we'll see a 928 run the 25hrs at Thunderhill. I think that would be the obvious next step in the evolution of the Holbert 928
Old 10-30-2006, 08:49 AM
kingkyle
Track Day

Probably not! (run under 1:30) figure the audi RS6 Randy drove in WC would be somewhere the other top 5 SpeedGT cars were this year. 1:30s in the race. now, the S4 was pretty close to the RS6 as randy proved a couple of years ago. however, there is no way the evo would run this fast. Fast, but not that fast. If your evo doesnt have the wide body kit and run 305s on all 4 corners, thats another set of factor huge for a very tall narrow car.

also keep in mind, the track is 2 seconds faster now, so the 1:34s that they are running are probalby more like being on the old track and running 1:36s!

mk

aahh missed the small point that Randy had the evo with 150 less hp.

Mark,

How do you feel that evo would do in todays WCGT ?

-Kyle

Quick Reply: Randy pobst to drive 550hp evo this weekend at Laguna Seca