Sponsored by:

Your Estimated operating cost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UpNComer
We'll I knew this would be a question that most of you would refrain from knowing the answer to. Being schooled in business has taught me not to walk blindly. Sorry for almost causing you guys to have strokes. With the cost so high I think ill have to admire from afar for now. Any body looking for a driver or a recent grad?

Seriously there is alot of big money talk here, but a 944-spec car which runs in NASA & POC both of which are local to you is about as cheap as you can get into racing. 10k on a car (I can point you to some if you wish) and then about $660 per weekend excluding transport and hotel costs. Car can be street legal if you chose and driven to the track. The car will be competitive in class as well. Consider it something Carrera Cup, but at 1/10th the cost.

No form of racing dirt cheap, but 944 spec racing is about as close as it comes. BTW... Since NASA runs DE along with racing they need instructors all the time. That really helps with the budget as well.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dood, all car related bills go to the office. Never give them your home address.

Larry, I have my bills sent to my email adress, and she just happend to look over my shoulder while I was reading it. I thought she was gonna faint (or was I that fainted and thats why she was reading it?)
Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

if you have to ask........ I won't even try to calculate it.

Let's just say its cheaper (and much more fun) than an extramarital affair, psych counseling and antidepressants
Old 10-23-2006, 11:16 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

We all find ways to justify our passion of racing. I've always equated mine to jewlry or furniture for my wife. if I back out the cost of my car and focus only on the expenses of maintaining and racing, the numbers looks so much better and she is still way ahead of me on money spent. I believe this theory falls under "voodo economics".

Related to the net worth of the racers, I do note a higher percentage of drivers with a lot of money learning to drive at the GTC3 and GTC4 class versus C and D stock. If anyone attended Petit this year, the back 10 cars in the Carrera Cup race certainly ran some interesting lines and unipressive lap times. BTW, the budget for that series is $15k per race weekend plus dispossables plus bent sheet metal (on car is on their 4th tub this race season).
Old 10-23-2006, 11:26 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Just think of the creative financial skills you learn. I love those 0.99% interest checks my cc company keeps sending me.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
So, you're sitting in a hotel room on a business trip when you get your evening call from the spousal unit/team owner.

She's just caught up on Quicken or Money or whatever evil program that is that allows her to efficiently categorize all the expenses over the last couple of years.

Wanna guess the topic of discussion? Wanna guess how much fun that was? Wanna guess how long that conversation has continued?

Still wanna know how much it costs to go racing?
I learned the trick to this. All of my racing expenses were paid out of a seperate account and the statements were mailed to the office. Part of my pay was deposited there as well as an reimbursement for mileage or other business expenses.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Dood, all car related bills go to the office. Never give them your home address.
I remember the nice Hoosier tire lady bringing me over my invoice at a club race and handing it to my wife! Up until that point the cost of the tires was a "secret".
Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

1 slush fund.

2 see above.

Your$. My$ Our$ One of each keeps the peace in my house. Also, when you get a new go fast part tell the CFO that you swapped it with X for some part you already had. He can use the same white lie too.

Now to figure out how to cover the weekends away from the wife and kids...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:05 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

The "time" is the most difficult to put value on. Especially with young kids at home. My plan includes taking them to a go-kart track and seeing if I can get them hooked. If I can, it may make negotiations with the wife easier.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

The time away is bigger to me than the money. Fortunately my boys can come with me to the track and they both will have a chance to earn the opportunity to learn how to drive (start with DE's and Autocross). My daughter is now old enough to hang out with my wife. It's a critical balance that we all must remember and address. As much as I love this hobby, I love my family more.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My financial arrangement with my wife is based upon the 1960s principle of Mutually Assured Destruction. She knows that I can easily outspend her and devastate our financial future, and so we both behave (sort of ) and the racecar budget isn't discussed.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DHinkle
The time away is bigger to me than the money. Fortunately my boys can come with me to the track and they both will have a chance to earn the opportunity to learn how to drive (start with DE's and Autocross). My daughter is now old enough to hang out with my wife. It's a critical balance that we all must remember and address. As much as I love this hobby, I love my family more.
Yep...
Right now I have a handle on costs, however due to time I have agreeded to run just one weekend per month in the cool season. I am lucky in that my races are "home" races were I drive to the track in the morning and can spend the evening at home with the wife and daughter and then go back the next morning. I am "allowed" maybe 1 out of state overnight weekend per year.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:13 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
Yep...
Right now I have a handle on costs, however due to time I have agreeded to run just one weekend per month in the cool season. I am lucky in that my races are "home" races were I drive to the track in the morning and can spend the evening at home with the wife and daughter and then go back the next morning. I am "allowed" maybe 1 out of state overnight weekend per year.
That is the deal I struck with my wife this past year: One event per month. I am feeling a little guilty even about this, so I may be even more choosy in the future, at least until the kids get a little older (3 year old daughter and 2 year old twin boys). I have never allowed this to become a permission deal because I am quite certain I would not like the answer I would get.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Remember-

You can sleep in your car but you can't race your house.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Anyone else live in a house that cost less than their race car?

Quick Reply: Your Estimated operating cost?