Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Estimated operating cost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be interesting to know the average net worth of the podium racers at Daytona last week...

Not a sport for the Everyman...
Old 10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
It would be interesting to know the average net worth of the podium racers at Daytona last week...
I'll tell you one thing about that. After what most of us spent, it's a hell of a lot lower this week!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I don't know any scenario where your towing cost is only $15, too.
Lime Rock is 90 miles round trip, or about $21 in gas. And yes I know there is more to towing costs than just gas, but I don't wanna think about it!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm reminded of what someone once said to me..."The cost of living is quite high, but it still is more popular than the alternative". For some reason, that applies here for me.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

So, you're sitting in a hotel room on a business trip when you get your evening call from the spousal unit/team owner.

She's just caught up on Quicken or Money or whatever evil program that is that allows her to efficiently categorize all the expenses over the last couple of years.

Wanna guess the topic of discussion? Wanna guess how much fun that was? Wanna guess how long that conversation has continued?

Still wanna know how much it costs to go racing?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:57 AM
UpNComer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll I knew this would be a question that most of you would refrain from knowing the answer to. Being schooled in business has taught me not to walk blindly. Sorry for almost causing you guys to have strokes. With the cost so high I think ill have to admire from afar for now. Any body looking for a driver or a recent grad?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:41 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i don't "race". but i do DE, and expenses here are probably 1/10th the cost of racing my car would be. i save money in several ways, which most would probably scoff at:

1. i instruct - i look for the schools that either waive registration fees for instructors or have the instructor fee set very low. NO, i do not do this because i want a "free ride", but because this is how i am able to do what i love. if i paid in full for each event i would have to cut my events from 10/yr down to 4 or so.

also some schools allow you to corner work in exchange for a free DE.

on a side note, i remember that some club, either NASA or other, used to waive the entry fee to racers who also volunteered to instruct the weekend. sadly, dunno if they still do that.

2. on some trips, i bring my tent and camp at the track. when weather permits, this is alot of fun and alot like real camping.

3. i attend events where i can stay at home. Road A is 30 min away for me.

....in the end, it is still costing probably ~$300 a weekend when you include costs of consumables (tires/brakes) spread out over multiple weekends. lesson learned - even an event you can attend for "free" is still not free.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Race a Spec Miata, it's cheap!
:
:
:
Don't fall for that line......"racing" and "cheap" should never be in the same sentence....
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motor racing is not only dangerous. It is also expensive. Dangerously Expensive!

Johan
www.almost.co.za
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by UpNComer
We'll I knew this would be a question that most of you would refrain from knowing the answer to. Being schooled in business has taught me not to walk blindly. Sorry for almost causing you guys to have strokes. With the cost so high I think ill have to admire from afar for now. Any body looking for a driver or a recent grad?
You can do DEs for less. The key is to buy a light and lower powered car. Something like a SC would be about the max. 1 set of tires for the year, 1 set of brake pad & rotors, oil, gas will costs you ~3k for 12-15 days. You can do it cheap (I have), just not in a faster car.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Anyone got a rough idea of the typical operating costs for a D Sport Racer? I'm still tempted, might be easier to sell to the Minister of Finance than an FC, and yet manageable... homebuilt, of course!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

I just got the invoice for Daytona. My lovely wife inadvertently looked at it. I am still married this morning!

Gulp!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
I just got the invoice for Daytona. My lovely wife inadvertently looked at it.
Dood, all car related bills go to the office. Never give them your home address.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same deal with my wife over Summit Clubrace and subsequent transmission repair. My only response was " Are you enjoying your new BMW we just picked up in Europe?" I can use that line once, only once.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:21 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Average net worth of guys who run GT3 class (3 or 4) varies dramatically from those who can barely afford to be there to those who are worth hundreds of millions. Most of us (by definition) are "somewhere in the middle"

Anyway, what is shocking is that it costs more to be competitive in a full season of GTC3 or 4 than it did to run a full Winston Cup series 3o years ago....

BUT - to put it in perspective, I got to look at the 2006 budget for a 997Cup running in Rolex. More than a half a mil for 13 races if I am remembering.

Quick Reply: Your Estimated operating cost?