Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Ariel Atom owners

Any Ariel Atom owners care to share their experiences/comments on the car?

I've always been interested in the Atom, ever since my son and I watched the episode on Top Gear (available on youtube). Didn't know if I could drive on the 'wrong' side of the cockpit and was unsure regarding US/DOT/EPA importation rules.

Now, Brammo Motorsports in Oregon is building a US version of the Atom
http://arielatom.com/
very few if any parts are shared. The US version uses a Chevy Cobalt engine/transmission (the UK version used a Honda/Integra Type R engine)...not exactly my first choice, but I'm still open to the idea.

There is a good write up in the latest issue (#14) on www.windingroad.com (good online car magazine, free as well).

For no logical reason, I was considering heading out to Oregon with my son and taking a look at the US version. I would also like to arrange a test drive, if they offer one. Looks like it would be a neat track toy and according to the article, some DMV's will actually issue you plates, so it might even be a fun 'round town' car.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

you need to place order NOW. the price is going up SIGNIFICANLTY SOON, like in weeks if not already.
PM DP35, he has an atom and has got 4-5 track days on it now.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if I saw the saw video but, the version I saw put the Radical SR3 ( 1300cc) ahead of the Atom. Is the Atom cheaper? Do most clubs classify the Atom as an open wheel car?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

atom technically is NOT open wheel, it has fender on top of wheels (technicality there).
the local atom was able to run with most of our clubs here.
atom can be street legal in USA, while radical... well hard to get over speed bumps.
i think rad would be a great track car if you have trailer.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

MikeK has got a radical.

The Atom also interests me.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The US version uses a Chevy Cobalt engine/transmission (the UK version used a Honda/Integra Type R engine)...not exactly my first choice, but
Sign up and play with the configurator. The Honda engine with and w/o supercharger are available from Brammo.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Rough_Rider
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atom's have been around in the UK for at least the last 5 years, with many different engine choices.
Started out with the rover K series, then rolled into turbo motors.

EVO road & track tested it many times, on every occasion it got wiped away by the likes of a Lotus Elise or Noble.
Atom's are a right hoot to drive but not easy on the limit. Even basic Caterhams will out handle them.

Pays your money & takes your choice.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

mike k,

why do you drive gt3 when you have rad?
b/c you want to run with PCA?
b/c you dont need to trailer GT3?

i had the fortune to ride in rad sr3 1300 and 1500 several times. man, makes gt3 feel like a slow pig. i wish i had a trailer.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rough_Rider
EVO road & track tested it many times, on every occasion it got wiped away by the likes of a Lotus Elise or Noble.
Atom's are a right hoot to drive but not easy on the limit. Even basic Caterhams will out handle them.
interesting. could you provide a link to your findings. i've never heard a bad thing about the atom, let alone it being out performed by a lotus. seems suspect. top gear tested it as well and the only thing quicker than it around their track was an enzo, by .5 sec. it was 3-4 sec./lap quicker than a F360 CS, a GT3 RS, a Koenigsegg, a mercielago and a zonda.

i have placed an order for one of these- so perhaps i'm a bit of a fan. but they seem pretty good. pretty sure it's about the fastest production car on the planet. goes 0-100mph-0 in about 10 sec. that's good. nothing quicker.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Rough_Rider
Track Day

No doubt it'll be a great car.

But here's a link to EVO and one of the last articles.
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...ield_xtr4.html

Cornering was always the Atom's Achilles' heel, but Ariel's boss, Simon Saunders, has been working hard on this and the damping problem has now been resolved. The Atom is now considerably more faithful and the excess of power allows you to adjust your line accordingly.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:28 PM
dp35
Pro

I have an Atom, and I've got more information/opinions than I could type here in one day. Like every other owner, I LOVE this car! Mine's a Honda, non supercharged 245 hp, which they say will do 0-60 in 3.5. I'm sure the GM engine's good, but for my hard earned money I insisted on the Honda.

I had a perfect 996 that I recently sold, because I no longer drove it after the arrival of the Atom. I know these two aren't directly comparable, but I had to choose between them, and it was a no-brainer.

Driving the Atom to within 0.5 seconds of an Enzo is easier said than done, but sure fun to attempt! But then again, I've never driven an Enzo at the limit either (or at all).

The Atom is tons of fun on the street too, even at low speeds. Its the best top down spring/summer/fall in California car I can think of. The only downside is that at times, the attention can be too much. But that's a small price to pay for this much fun at any price.

The prices of new Atoms did just go up, by approx. $10K depending on configuration. Mine is for sale, only because I'm getting a newer Atom, otherwise there's no way I'd sell it. Info/photos of mine are on my website: www.dp35.com

Every other Atom question can be answered at the Atom club forum: http://forum.atomclub.com/
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
dp35
Pro

Oh yeah, and about the comparisons to Radicals - I don't get the comparison. I have an Atom and never considered buying a Radical. I like the Atom because its street legal, fun, and also good on the track. I'm not interested in a non-street legal, high maintenance race or track dedicated car. You can't compare race cars to street cars, IMO. Maybe someone has a street legal Radical that I don't know about.

I don't know anything about Radicals, but I'm sure there are different models. Last week at Sears Point there were several Radicals, and they were the fastest things on the track. I estimate their lap times were in the 1:30's or 1:40's, and my best was a 1:55. That's not comparable. But I did drive my car to and from the track that day, and I don't own a trailer.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
MikeK has got a radical.

The Atom also interests me.
Tattletale.

Yes , I have one of the original Prosports with a Yamaha R1 motor. Have had a lot of headaches trying to get it sorted out. Now on the second motor for the summer, it is starting to be fun. It laps at exactly the same times as the GT3 but has probably got another 5 or 6 seconds in it ( not enough seat time yet ). May put in a 1300 this winter, which is supposed to make it faster than the SR3 1500.

" mike k,

why do you drive gt3 when you have rad?
b/c you want to run with PCA?
b/c you dont need to trailer GT3?

i had the fortune to ride in rad sr3 1300 and 1500 several times. man, makes gt3 feel like a slow pig. i wish i had a trailer."

The GT3 does feel like a pig after driving the Rad. It is actually scary to do back to back runs in the two.
I trailer both cars. Which can be a pain when you want to drive both on the weekend.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

So Mike, did you go to Tremblant this week-end? Wasn't it the last week-end with the club?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
you need to place order NOW. the price is going up SIGNIFICANLTY SOON, like in weeks if not already.
PM DP35, he has an atom and has got 4-5 track days on it now.
Thanks Mooty,
Just got an email today, describing the price increase:

We have had a tremendous numbers of calls and requests for clarification over the weekend regarding our pending price increase on the Ariel Atom 2, so we are sending out one final courtesy notice and clarification.

Many people that have just found out about the Atom 2 due to recent press on the Discovery channel, The Science Channel, Automobile magazine and Winding Road magazine, we want to be sure all interested parties are aware of the pending price increase effective tomorrow morning.

We are extending that time frame from midnight tonight on the 15th PST to 10am PST on the 16th. Deposits must be received by Tuesday the 17th to insure the current pricing is applied to the order.

Below is the original email that was sent to long time subscribers to our update mail list:

Due to the cost increases to us by our material, parts and shipping suppliers, we are going to be raising the price on the Ariel Atom 2 product line effective October 15th, 2006. The price increase will vary by component, but the price increase is approximately 8% for all of the chassis configurations, varying up to 15% for some options and upgrades.

We are offering all existing interested customers an opportunity to purchase at the current price, but the window of opportunity is fairly small. We must have your order and initial deposit by October 15th.

If you have already purchased a vehicle and are in the assembly queue, this will not effect your order. If you do plan to upgrade an existing order however, now would be a very good time to make those upgrades, as all changes in orders after October 15th will be at the new price.

If you have any questions please feel free to write me directly at cab@brammo.com or give me a call at the number below.

If you are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity, please visit the Configurator.

http://www.arielatom.com/index.php?o...form&Itemid=49

We look forward to seeing you in an Ariel Atom 2!

Craig Bramscher

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom owners