Porsche wins SCCA runoffs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:12 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Porsche wins SCCA runoffs!

Hi,

It looks like Wayland Joe won GT2 class in his GT3 cup! Several others were up front too. The fastest two cars from last year did not attend and the 3rd fastest had problems early on. Wayland had a great battle for the lead with polesitter Michael Muren's 944, which had finished up just behind me at last year's runoffs. Those two pretty much ran away from the field early on.

Van Saylor finished 4th in another GT3 cup with Bruce Phillips' cup in 6th and Tom Gonzales' cup car behind him. Tom earned the Sunoco Hard Charger award by advancing ten positions in his No. 28 Rocky Mountain Business Porsche GT3 Cup.

Wish I could have gone!

Congrats to all, good luck in impound and with fuel testing!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

we know about the cup cars, but how was this 944 prepared to be so fast!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Dave Finch won GT2 several times in his "944", which was built with the help ($) of Porsche. It was documented in Panorama several years ago. Something like half a million $ in that car over the last several years. There is a guy in CA who is also very fast in a 944, Marvin Epps (968 style "bodywork").

They are just generic tube frame GT chassis (real race cars!) with a Porsche engine block in them, and tons of dyno time to make them really fast for a few hours. They weigh close to 2000 pounds so the power to weight ratio is about the same as a GT3 cup, but they are so light that they corner much better and the tires should last better in a race.

SCCA GT2 is really designed for these cars but they let us play in our cup cars as the class was almost dead. This year about 10 out of the 30 cars were cup cars. Maybe more next year!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:54 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

That's great! I remember watching the Runnoffs a couple of years back when Analog Mike was battling in GT2 with one of the few GT3 Cups. The commentators were predicting an onslaught of GT3 Cups in the coming years. Looks like they were right.

It's fantastic to see Porsche in the winner's circle in the Runoffs!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 AM
am914
Track Day

Location: Richfield Ohio during the warmer seasons and Bonita Springs Florida when cold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd add a bit of information. I returned from the runoffs last night. The 944 that Mike Muren drove is mine, he is my son. I purchased the car in 1991 from a fellow in Arlington, VA and have been modifying/improving it since. The engine is a 968 but sleaved and without the electro/hydraulic chain tensioner. Cams are custom. We have about a half hour on a rear wheel dyno with engine as built by Jon Andruk from Circle Performance. Between last and this year we have about 20 hours on the engine with no deterioration in performance yet.

It was a fun and Wayland Joe drove a nice race. I'm looking forward to a similar match in the future. These are the cars in one and two position on the race grid. Whoops,if the pic doesn't show it is because I don't know how to upload.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2006, 12:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I'm a bit rusty on the SCCA classes - is GT1 where the Trans-Am cars fall into? If so, what makes up GT2? Similar chassis as GT1 with smaller engines?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:38 PM
am914
Track Day

Location: Richfield Ohio during the warmer seasons and Bonita Springs Florida when cold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, pretty much the same. Horsepowers run in the 300 to 400 hp rance versus the 500 to 600 plus in GT1/Transam. Nissans, Toyotas, Mazdas, Porsches etc. Restrictors and weight to balance the field -- endless arguments about what is correct. For example the 3.5 liter 6 cylinder Nissans run an SIR restrictor. We run 55 DCOE carbs unrestricted.

Al Muren

Quick Reply: Porsche wins SCCA runoffs!