Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open wheel cars in DE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have driven at DE's with Chin motorsports where the occasional open wheel car showed up and ran with us.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:54 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by svochuck
side question how often do cars touch each other at your DE events ? I have never seen it happen in about 60 DE events.
I've only seen it once. That incident stemmed from sudden brake failure in a students car.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

I always thought something like a FVee would make a great DE car, simple to operate, cheap to buy, I could more then likely tow the setup with a smaller truck or even a small suv, tires are cheap, and provided you do not want the car to follow standard regs you could easily make them as fast as your pocketbook will let you.

It would not be to hard to put fenders on these things like the atom or a lotus has, add a brake light and your set.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open wheel strikes me as a really bad idea at a DE. Totally different braking, cornering and acceleration than most tin tops.

I've done a couple where there were CSR's running and even that was too dicey for me with them running in the top group with good drivers. Too hard to see and the consequences are too great if you touch.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

It would be best to check with all the clubs you plan to run with. Most clubs will not allow open wheel cars with fendered cars. A rare few will.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris , if your interested and want to run with open wheel cars, we can try and get you in to a private Summit Point day when we do it next. A couple of guys garage their open wheelers down at SP and we share the track with them. Don't be surprise though when they dive inside you in a turn as we ran open passing each session with four flag stations. Cars on track is limited though.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks, Bob. Over on the Riesentöter PCA web sit Mike confirmed that open wheel cars can be ok, except at the Glen where the track will not allow mixed groups. The Glen is so much my favorite that that would be a big issue, but I'd like the chance to run with the open wheel guys and I need time at SP.

I did the 3-day Skip Barber class at Laguna Seca, but the formula Dodge school cars (as opposed to the race cars they use) were pretty much pigs, if intentionally so for pedagogic purposes.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

always thought something like a FVee would make a great DE car, simple to operate, cheap to buy, I could more then likely tow the setup with a smaller truck or even a small suv, tires are cheap, and provided you do not want the car to follow standard regs you could easily make them as fast as your pocketbook will let you.
Let me just say, if you haven't tried an open wheel car, you should. It is a great learning experience. It is about as low price track car to buy and operate as you can find. A Formula Ford weighs 975 pounds with 110 hp, so the differential with Porsche cars is not as much as you might think

I am not sure it would be much fun to run with fendered cars. As someone said above, the formula cars are much faster in the corners, but probably slower on the straights. Someone is bound to feel held up by the car in front of them. That said, if Chin allows them, I might try it - I am looking for every opportunity I can find to drive mine.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was fun. I chased an open wheel car around SP for a couple of sessions. We would meet at T5 and I would try my best to catch him before T9-T10. I would get a run on the straight (his top speed was around 125) and beat him into T1, then he would cut around me exiting 2, and back into the chute I would meet him again in T5. It looked like a big blue shark chasing a small fish. A real blast. I think Ian ran his Lotus 7 at the Glen with PCA. That's about as close to open wheel that they would allow.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just for reference, a modern SCCA legal Formula Ford will turn under 2:10 easily on the VIR Full Course. Many can run around 2:06 to 2:08.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ariel Atom HPDE/NASA approved

http://www.arielatom.com/index.php?o...sk=view&id=147
Atom approved for HPDE/Track Days!

Brammo Motorsports announces that the production Ariel Atom 2 has been approved by the National Auto Sport Association for High Performance Driving Events and Open Track Days. Brammo has been working directly with Jerry Kunzman, Executive Director at NASA, to achieve this approval and is pleased to be a part of NASA racing.

Note: Vehicles still subject to standard production vehicle regulations regarding safety harnesses, etc...

For more information on NASA, HPDE, and their events, please visit:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/aboutnasa/index.html
Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I did the 3-day Skip Barber class at Laguna Seca, but the formula Dodge school cars (as opposed to the race cars they use) were pretty much pigs, if intentionally so for pedagogic purposes.
Understatement of the year
Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 AM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBH
Let me just say, if you haven't tried an open wheel car, you should. It is a great learning experience. It is about as low price track car to buy and operate as you can find. A Formula Ford weighs 975 pounds with 110 hp, so the differential with Porsche cars is not as much as you might think

I am not sure it would be much fun to run with fendered cars. As someone said above, the formula cars are much faster in the corners, but probably slower on the straights. Someone is bound to feel held up by the car in front of them. That said, if Chin allows them, I might try it - I am looking for every opportunity I can find to drive mine.

Ho much am I loking at for a decent FF, I have seen a few for sale over the years with prices all over the board. Something like this below would be very cheap at least in my eyes for a track only open wheel car.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/va...33813751ss.htm
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

About two years ago, someone in Central Florida was selling a FV (granted, about as slow as you can get) at an estate sale for $1,200--w/trailer.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

A stock formula Vee is going to be a moving chicane and definitly not fast enough to run most DE's.

Quick Reply: Open wheel cars in DE?