Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THill question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default THill question

I'm think I'm going to go to the NASA HPDE at Thunderhill on 10/26. Never been on the track and a friend is letting me borrow his car. Not that I plan on running off but what are the run offs like there? The last thing I want to do is damage a friend's car so I'm curious. thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:37 PM
JC3D
Pro

Depending how wet it has been, it could be pretty muddy. There is a good amount of runoff, Only one turn with a wall nearby. I can't speak for the quality of the runoffs because I haven't gone off track there, but I have seen lots of motorcycles go off and be able to ride it out so it can't be too bad.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:04 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
. Not that I plan on running off but what are the run offs like there? The last thing I want to do is damage a friend's car so I'm curious. thanks.
Famous last words... "not that i plan on running off..."

You are certainly braver then I!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:31 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've gone off most of the turns at Thunderhill. It's a pretty safe place to drive, certainly compared to Laguna Seca or Sears Point. You can hit the wall if you overcorrect on a slide coming out of turn 14, but it's not easy. You can get into trouble if you overcook turn 8 (although that's not generally a problem for newcomers). Turn 3 is an off-camber sweeper with some areas on the inside dirt that can roll a car over. The bypass can roll a car. Turn 9 looks like it can roll a car, but isn't all that bad once you go off.

Broadly speaking, though, Thunderhill is an excellent learning track and a lot of fun. Hank Watts put together an excellent turn-by-turn gude for the PCA GGR, which you can get here.

There's an in-car lap video in my signature, under the 'let's go out for a lap' link.

And here's one with the cyclone.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I've gone off most of the turns at Thunderhill. It's a pretty safe place to drive, certainly compared to Laguna Seca or Sears Point. You can hit the wall if you overcorrect on a slide coming out of turn 14, but it's not easy. You can get into trouble if you overcook turn 8 (although that's not generally a problem for newcomers). Turn 3 is an off-camber sweeper with some areas on the inside dirt that can roll a car over. The bypass can roll a car. Turn 9 looks like it can roll a car, but isn't all that bad once you go off.

Broadly speaking, though, Thunderhill is an excellent learning track and a lot of fun. Hank Watts put together an excellent turn-by-turn gude for the PCA GGR, which you can get here.

There's an in-car lap video in my signature, under the 'let's go out for a lap' link.

And here's one with the cyclone.
thanks for the video link. Looks like a fun track. No worries on this one for how hard I'll be pushing the car which is not very hard at all.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:48 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Your friend's car must be special for you to keep the GT3 at home.

Quick Reply: THill question