Sponsored by:

Help with rotor upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with rotor upgrade??

This forum is now my official track go to place for the answers to DE stuff.
Could you guys give me some input on rotor upgrades!
I am happy to report I have another part that has worn out so I have the opportunity to upgrade it!! As may come as a shock my front rotors are shot!
I love upgrading stuff and brakes are on the list to do (would love those big 15 inchers) but for now I must admit my brakes work great! So I am going to at least for now stay with the stock calipers.
I would like to if possible do better with the rotor?
Would like to go to a lighter floating rotor. Also any thoughts on slotted or dimpled vs cross drilled??
Also, does anyone have any experience, good or bad with the setup to "relocate" your stock caliper to use a 14 inch rotor?
Any suggestions would be great!!!
TIA
tom
Old 10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, do you do your oun mechanical work? If so, I would recommend staying with the stock one piece rotors. They are much easier to deal with. It's true that a slotted, two piece rotor will last longer and be lighter but it is more work to swap them out. I wouldn't recommend upgrading your system. It is expensive and won't gain much over the stock setup which is very good. Where you should put some modifications is brake cooling. I don't know if a cup car's cooling setup will fit on your car (it should), but if it will, that's what I would do. Also I would swap out the fluid for Castrol SRF or similar.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitch, thanks for the input, I think you are right. and I already have pagid orange, castrol SRF, and the Cup front and rear ducts, so I guess I'm set
thanks again
tom
Old 10-03-2006, 10:45 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Mitch has very good advice. Unfortunately, Porsche puts very good brakes on their street cars. At your level, changing the rotors will only add visual appeal. That said, the look of a two piece rotor is nice.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:50 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I know, it doesn't help any when folks tell you not to spend your money. Here is something to wet your appetite for brakes from Stoptech.

http://www.stoptech.com/user/SearchResults.asp
Old 10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

I would suggest changing to Padid Yellows (RS-19s) or Pagid Blacks (RS-14s) over the oranges. I would also look at some solid or slotted rotors instead of the factor cross drilled, especially in front. The factory cross drilled ones will crack quite quickly. By going to solid or slotted you can probably double your rotor life. Slotted or solid will likely be 2 piece with hats.

Btw, I don't think swapping 2 piece rotors is much more work than with normal factory rotors. It take an extra 7-10 mins per side max to swap the hat (less if you have air tools).
Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Tom, do you do your oun mechanical work? If so, I would recommend staying with the stock one piece rotors. They are much easier to deal with. It's true that a slotted, two piece rotor will last longer and be lighter but it is more work to swap them out. I wouldn't recommend upgrading your system. It is expensive and won't gain much over the stock setup which is very good. Where you should put some modifications is brake cooling. I don't know if a cup car's cooling setup will fit on your car (it should), but if it will, that's what I would do. Also I would swap out the fluid for Castrol SRF or similar.
Agree 100%.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas where to get two piece rotors for a 2004 996 C2? One weekend at the Glen and my new rotors are already showing signs of cracking.

Quick Reply: Help with rotor upgrade??