Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suggestions removal of rubberize undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default suggestions removal of rubberize undercoating?

I'm trying to remove my right front fender from 944 which got banged up at Mid Ohio recently. I pulled all the bolts but two. These two are hiding deep in the fender well bolted up against the door jamb. I found one bolt barely peeking out of the rubberized coating in the middle. The other one on the bottom is no where to be found, though I know it's there.

The one in the middle, which I can see, is behind my ABS pumps which precludes a direct attack. Otherwise I'd reach in and trim the rubber junk off with a razor blade until I could get a wrench on it.

The one of the bottom is totally invisible under all that gunk so I don't know where to even look.

Any suggestions on how to remove the coating so I can get at the bolts?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There's three bolts inside the fenderwell holding the fender on.
I've tried heat, didn't work too well. Ended up using a wire brush on a drill. If you don't have enough access to get a drill in there I'd think you could use a wire brush on a dremel tool.

This might help
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...73&postcount=5
Old 10-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Excellent. The referenced picture is really helpful. The wire brush is a good idea. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
jim3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had abs as well and if I remember correctly, i just gouged around enough to clear the bolt head with a long screw driver and then put a couple of extensions together to undo the bolt.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a plastic cover in front of the ABS unit that comes off with 2 small screws/bolts...take that off and you'll be able to reach the bolt that is behind it. It's a pain but you can do it...I just had to gently tap on my socket extension to get the socket to seat on the bolt properly and then was able to remove it easily.

Rick
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Yeah, I've already removed the plastic cover behind the ABS unit and that enabled me to see part of the bolt head sticky out of the gunk, so I know that one's there. I spent 10 mins trying to gouge around with a screwdriver to get the bolt to clear enough to put an extension on it, but didn't have any luck, thus the post here. I think I can get a wire brush on a dremel back in there, which should clean it up enough to remove it.

Thanks to Kurt who found that pic by George (and thanks George!) which shows the location of the bottom bolt. That one is totally hidden and I would have spent a long time looking for it. I'll hit them both with a wire brush wheel later tonight. Thanks everybody.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:13 AM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

when you really want to get all that rubber crap off ,Snap-On makes a tool called the Crud-Thug.
it uses a wire wheel that just rips the stuff right off.
Like all Snap-on tools it has a good price but when you are interested in getting it all off in a short period of time this is a tool you have to have.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Wire wheels are pretty messy if you are doing a large area. Silly String has NOTHING on Wurth Body Schutz when it comes to making a mess.

I usually use a set of cheap wood chisels I bought for scraping purposes. Wood guys will cringe, but they make the best cutters/scrapers for this kind of stuff. They are kind of like long-reach razor blades.

That and a wobble extension for your ratchet will get you there. Oh... and wait till you try to actually get the fender off! You'll find that the bolts really weren't necessary!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:57 PM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Messy is not the word for it John.you will have rubber chunks in place you you dont even want to think about.
you are right about the bolts too...first time I took one off I said the same thing.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

I actually coat it all in kerosene. I know, I know....But let it sit overnight and you use a plastic putty knife and it comes right off. It's nice doing it this way becuase you don't damage any of the paint underneath.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hit each bolt head with a torch for a few seconds and then scrape with putty knife - it comes off in big globs in just a few seconds. Warning - have extinguisher handy just in case....and do it in the driveway ;-)
Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

if you combine both of your ideas it comes off really good and no scrapping at all. agian I would do it in the drive way about 30 feet from the house and garage
Old 10-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, isn't that always good to have a cigar with? But I agree I have done the same with kerosene with my car. This winter I am planning on using the "Krud-Thug" with Bob to work on my wife's 924S.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

the stuff on the 944 wont come off with just kerosene....not like the stuff on the 914's.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Bob - Are they talking about the white body shutz under the paint? If it is, then that's a mess.

Quick Reply: suggestions removal of rubberize undercoating?