Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SP1,2,3 Class roll call

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure that I can reconcile the differences between being legal for PCA "F" class and competing in SP-3. A legal "F" class car might not be competitive in SP-3 without the permitted modifications that would render the car non-conforming for "F".
Ok - my knowledge of E/F turbo's has been shown to be lacking (in the past), but other than AC delete and allowance of camber plates, and different min. weights - the cars are identical to F Turbo/E turbo S in terms of performance.

Is your concern that you can't get the car light enough without pulling the interior?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Camber plates would be PCA legal if pinned in the center position (I think)
Old 09-21-2006, 05:29 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
I would primarily race 44SC because of the number of opportunities to race without having to travel long distances. Howver, I belive S2 has a big disadvantage in SP3 where it is classed with 951S.
Nader

The 944 S2 has won numerous events this year in 944 Super Cup in multiple Chapters, the Regional Championship in the SE Chapter and won the National Championship. The model is very competitve in SC. If an imbalance should ever occur per results to allow the 951S to dominate, expect a rules change to level the field.

DD
Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjensen
For 2007 NASA is looking for a 944 cup directorfor the midwest region(I am considering!) which would be for supercup and cup. This would be SP2 and SP3 PCA cars. I am planning on a 944cup car/GTS1/SP2...

We are open to input for starting up a 944 Cup Chapter in the MidWest. A separate discussion is being started on the 944 Cup forum to this end. Any and all input welcome.

http://44cup.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=1715

Thanks

Getting back to the original issue of showing supprot for the SP classes in PCA, I would think a 944 Cup event at a PCA race, such as in the MidWest, would be a good start.

DD
Old 09-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
The 944 S2 has won numerous events this year in 944 Super Cup in multiple Chapters, the Regional Championship in the SE Chapter and won the National Championship. The model is very competitve in SC. If an imbalance should ever occur per results to allow the 951S to dominate, expect a rules change to level the field.

DD
DD,

IIRC, the races won by the NS in SC have typically been in the wet. I realize that skill is an important part of the equasion and I am running heavier than allowed and , but instructing someone in a 951S at VIR a couple of weeks ago really made the straight line speed differences very clear. Perhaps you should change the rules that only wet races count. Oh wait, I am too chicken to race in the wet.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

FWIW - for Supercup/SP3 - as Nader mentions - other than wet races (5 this year by my count), the Turbo S has generally been in a league of its performance-wise. Over the last two years, (The first year that there are reasonable car counts to measure) The win rate for the TS is something on the order of 2:1 and the podium rate is something close to 3:1. The TS also received (?!?) a 50 lb weight break at the start of the 2005 season.

If you work out the HP/wt ratios - you'll get a good understanding of why all of the non TS cars are at a disadvantage of between 8 and 12 %.

Now that being said - S2's are very competitive at point and shoot tracks like CMP, VIR North, and Mid O where the turbos can't really stretch their legs. On longer circuits, the Turbo S is dominant based on its top speed advantage with the current weights.

For the record - I do have a vested interest here (I run as a 968), but the stats are pretty clear here.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
FWIW - for Supercup/SP3 - as Nader mentions - other than wet races (5 this year by my count), the Turbo S has generally been in a league of its performance-wise.
I seem to remember a 944 Super Cup event held this year at VIR where an S2 won both races, against a full compliment of TS cars, and the S2 had no clutch and used only 2 gears. Oh , and it was bone dry both races.

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
The win rate for the TS is something on the order of 2:1 and the podium rate is something close to 3:1. The TS also received (?!?) a 50 lb weight break at the start of the 2005 season.
MATT: Are u referring to the 944 Super Cup? A quick glance at the MA Chapter shows 15 nonTS wins and 11 TS wins over the last 2 years.. The SE Chapter of the Cup shows 15 non TS wins and 7 TS wins.

DD

ps. And if you raced a TurboS this year in any of the four 944 Super Cup Chapters, you did not win a Regional Championship or the National Championship. Looks to me like the non Turbo S drivers need to do more celebrating and less whining.

Last edited by 944Cup; 09-21-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know about that Matt. I think a good comparison would be to run the same driver in both cars. That way we remove the driver from the speed variable.

Well, what do you know, we just happened to have one of those drivers this year A winning S2 driver (mucho experience!) switched to a setup TS mid-way through the season this year. While he has done well in both cars, the TS has not shown to be 12% faster. In fact, I think his fastest laps are still in his S2

just throwing that out there
Old 09-21-2006, 10:54 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

instructing someone in a 951S at VIR a couple of weeks ago really made the straight line speed differences very clear.
But all our races have turns.

DD

Last edited by 944Cup; 09-21-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

DD

Nice one Dave!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

I don't know about that Matt. I think a good comparison would be to run the same driver in both cars. That way we remove the driver from the speed variable.
Mike, Great idea! You up for a swap at the October SC race or November DE? We'd need to futz with the seat on your car a bit to let me reach the pedals - but this could be cool!

DD/mike - can't dispute hp/wt ratios(they are what they are) - just what they mean. Good for everone to be informed, though.

I'll go back to my couch now and cook up more Turbo conspiracies

The champagne is good
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Actually - if The Weatherman is out there - his thoughts would be welcome as he has run both cars.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

DD
But the races are won on straight which is why every racer whines about not having enough HP.

DD, the intent is not to start a campaign to whine about the SC rules. I did not buy my car to race. I just happen to fall in to it and consider the 44Cup/SC as a great place to race. You can look produce all the data about percentages, but I just made a tongue in cheek comment in another thread about how data can be used to make any point. My POV is that if I were to build a car for SC, I would choose a 951S. Its shear speed advantage on straight would overcome a great deal of my poor driving skills.

Nader

Nader
Old 09-22-2006, 10:58 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

DD, the intent is not to start a campaign to whine about the SC rules.

Nader
Just yanking your chain Nader. I know this is off season yakin' and posturin'. Glad to have you and all the SC guys to get feedback. Thanks.

On a serious note, know that the Turbos under certain conditions and at certain tracks do have a straight line advantage. Will keep a vigilant eye on it. Based on 2006, do see the SC rules staying pretty much the same for next year.

DD
Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Nader - good to help me zing the turbo brigade ;-)

In all seriousness - the parity in the field is continuing to grow - and as DD noted the results are skewed in that some regions can have a majority of a particular model (or people who are driving better) which means that taking the mid-atlantic as an example may not be representative.

Matt

Quick Reply: SP1,2,3 Class roll call