Sponsored by:

1:35 at Road Atlanta GT2 GT700 Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Typical high HP turbo driver, tip toe through the corners and blast down the straights and think they're great. Not like you Colin, you're a low HP turbo driver!

Here you go Larry...and yes, I have lots to learn.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...3600a1a7d6.htm

You guys need to lighten up, all I did was post a video of a lap at Road Atlanta during a DE, and each one of you "Pros" wants to tell me how slow the car is. Yes, I know who Leh Keen is, however that in car video looks like an amateur on the ragged edge of control...not real smooth and not much safety equipment either. Look at my in car video and it looks a Sunday drive in the park in comparison. Imagine how fast Leh could drive my car around RA.

Cleve
Old 09-08-2006, 11:39 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cleve,
I think people on this board react pretty strongly to "hey look at me" posts which is how yours came across. The 6speed thread reminded me of those “kill” threads you see on the import boards. One of the great things about Rennlist is that it’s a place where people tend to complement each other rather than complementing ourselves. (did I mention I ran a 2:29 last weekend at Road America )

Your lap didn't look bad to me. You drive a pretty good line and have an incredible car. Realize though that the fact that you have a license plate does not make your car an average street car. It has the same basic C4 chassis that an early 996 cup car is built on. Similar suspension, similar gearbox, huge brakes and a couple hundred extra hp. With Motons and slicks you shouldn’t be bragging about a 1:35 which is how it came across. Forget cup cars, in a ten lap race I’d put my money on Colin in his 15 year old 964T on DOT tires anyday.

Bottom line, enjoy your car, keep driving and find some humility.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim
Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmeredithjr
Here you go Larry...and yes, I have lots to learn.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...3600a1a7d6.htm
I did see you slide that car a little, so maybe you're not so "point & shoot" after all.

You guys need to lighten up, all I did was post a video of a lap at Road Atlanta during a DE, and each one of you "Pros" wants to tell me how slow the car is.
I don't think it is as much that, as it's that we are a very perceptive crowd here, probably more than any other forum that you may be used to. Just because you ran a 1:35 (I actually saw 1:36 on your video, but what's a second amongst friends ) doesn't mean that it is worthy of praise. We have the ability to decipher what is truly fast, and what is not, in the context of what is being driven. Now if you had shown videos of you running a 1:40s in an SC, we'd all be bowing down.

Just an aside, if you had posted your video as "I ran a 1:35 at Road Atlanta, what do you think?" you probably would have gotten both praise & constructive criticism. Is that light enough for you? BTW, welcome to the racing forum.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Originally Posted by JimB
Cleve,
I think people on this board react pretty strongly to "hey look at me" posts which is how yours came across. The 6speed thread reminded me of those “kill” threads you see on the import boards. One of the great things about Rennlist is that it’s a place where people tend to complement each other rather than complementing ourselves. (did I mention I ran a 2:29 last weekend at Road America )

Your lap didn't look bad to me. You drive a pretty good line and have an incredible car. Realize though that the fact that you have a license plate does not make your car an average street car. It has the same basic C4 chassis that an early 996 cup car is built on. Similar suspension, similar gearbox, huge brakes and a couple hundred extra hp. With Motons and slicks you shouldn’t be bragging about a 1:35 which is how it came across. Forget cup cars, in a ten lap race I’d put my money on Colin in his 15 year old 964T on DOT tires anyday.

Bottom line, enjoy your car, keep driving and find some humility.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim

I'm trying to figure out where I was bragging by simply posting an in car video of a lap at Road Atlanta during a DE...must have been the fact that I posted the lap time?

Uh, it's missing a full cage and it weighs about 500lbs more than a Cup car, and it's driven daily on the street. If Colin would like to go for 10 laps...Bring It!

Like I posted in another thread, you guys need to get out of your Ivory Towers and lighten up...no wonder Porsche owners are considered A-Holes. I thought this forum was for sharing information.

Cleve
Old 09-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Cleve, I for one enjoyed your video. You have a beautiful car. I appreciate that you were driving well under its limits, so it stays beautiful!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to figure out where I was bragging by simply posting an in car video of a lap at Road Atlanta during a DE...must have been the fact that I posted the lap time?
Could be. Could also be the drifting post in the GT2/GT3 forum, or it could even be from the thread in 6blingonline. I think that JimB put it quite diplomatically and you again told him to lighten up. The point is that this forum is for the exchange of ideas and techniques for racing and driving. If you post a video, and many of us have done so, it is open to critique. We try and check our egos at the door, and trust me, many of us have them. If you want to learn something, then hang around here. If you want to be worshipped as a deity, then 6bling is probably a better place.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:39 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Could be. Could also be the drifting post in the GT2/GT3 forum, or it could even be from the thread in 6blingonline. I think that JimB put it quite diplomatically and you again told him to lighten up. The point is that this forum is for the exchange of ideas and techniques for racing and driving. If you post a video, and many of us have done so, it is open to critique. We try and check our egos at the door, and trust me, many of us have them. If you want to learn something, then hang around here. If you want to be worshipped as a deity, then 6bling is probably a better place.
The responses to my video were far from "critiquing". What do you guys have against www.6speedonline.com? IMHO this site is little to ****...try and relax guys.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Cleve, I for one enjoyed your video. You have a beautiful car. I appreciate that you were driving well under its limits, so it stays beautiful!
Exactly, my ***** have shrunk a little since the birth of my 2 boys. I do not want to destroy the car or myself...like I said before, a Pro could get this street car in the 20's...not me, not right now.

Cleve
Old 09-08-2006, 12:44 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
P.S. Thanks for compliment

Cleve
Old 09-08-2006, 12:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Simple fact is people on this board are not impressed with outright lap times. They are impressed by driving skills. Street cars going as fast as some race cars is meaning less. Guess what... I have dedicated track car and you car is quite abit faster. That does not mean squat since I have 134 rwhp at 2600lbs and i'd expect most street cars with 150 more hp than my car to have a big edge.

Most of here know any idiot can go fast in straight line, but cornering where the skill comes in. Beyond that anyone can run really low lap times with enough hp. The skill comes in running low lap times with little hp.

BTW... I have seen many GT3 Cup drivers who don't have the skills to get anywhere close to what those cars are capable of.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Cleve:

I was surprised to see another posting and the same comments shared on 6speedonline.com. As you can see, everyone is supportive but as Larry stated, if you post lap times, you better be really quick or thick-skinned!

Good luck in your next outing.

David
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Originally Posted by M758
Simple fact is people on this board are not impressed with outright lap times. They are impressed by driving skills. Street cars going as fast as some race cars is meaning less. Guess what... I have dedicated track car and you car is quite abit faster. That does not mean squat since I have 134 rwhp at 2600lbs and i'd expect most street cars with 150 more hp than my car to have a big edge.

Most of here know any idiot can go fast in straight line, but cornering where the skill comes in. Beyond that anyone can run really low lap times with enough hp. The skill comes in running low lap times with little hp.

Uhh, ih aam triing tuh lurn howw 2 tern write and leff

Difference between my car and a dedicated race car is that I don't have to wait weeks at a time between adrenaline hits...I can have it daily if I desire.

Cleve
Old 09-08-2006, 01:10 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh, ih aam triing tuh lurn howw 2 tern write and leff

Difference between my car and a dedicated race car is that I don't have to wait weeks at a time between adrenaline hits...I can have it daily if I desire.

Cleve

yes, but you don't get those hits liegally either I'm in sort of the same boat you are. I own a Street car with 2x the hp of my 944 race car, and while i love twisty roads in my street car, it is just that a street car, it has no cage, nor can i afford to wreck it on track.. hence the 944

back on topic.... Yes, posting a lap time is sort of a look at me, but i think its "fast" for a street car. No you are not a Pro, you do have children (love the avatar), and there is no cage in that car, so there is no reason to really push your luck in that car. What do i think about the video? well it makes me want to drive RA now and you have great car control and a car that can give you everything you need on the track.

Its a nice vid and the time is good as well. good luck at the next de and remember to keep 'em shiny side up
Old 09-08-2006, 01:15 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a feeling that if your tittle on your post read: " DE Lap with my GT2 at Road Atlanta", people would not react the way they did...
Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM
cgmeredithjr
Banned

Originally Posted by DJF1
I have a feeling that if your tittle on your post read: " DE Lap with my GT2 at Road Atlanta", people would not react the way they did...
Everybody is wound way to tight on this board. Yeah, I was proud of my time, I had never been around Road Atlanta that fast and was really happy to break into the mid 1:30s...I'm an amateur and will be the first to admit that, so what, who cares. The way most responded on this thread you would think that the title was: "My car is faster than anything else on the planet around Road Atlanta".

Cleve

Quick Reply: 1:35 at Road Atlanta GT2 GT700 Street Car