Schumacher to retire

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

More updates:

Schu prepares to be 'unemployed' (GMM) The hot topic at Monza this weekend is the likely announcement that Michael Schumacher is retiring after 15 years in F1.

No matter their previous opinion of the controversial seven time world champion, fellow racers are converging in tribute for the 37-year-old German.

Jarno Trulli, Giancarlo Fisichella and Vitantonio Liuzzi added their words of encouragement for the Ferrari veteran to stick around, while a huge flag on a Monza grandstand bore the message: 'Without Schumi in F1, no-one else exists'.

Another banner said 'Kimi, red does not suit you'.

Even Pedro de la Rosa, who earlier this year quit the GPDA in protest of Schumacher's presence, had a magnanimous word to offer.

''He used to be my idol and he is not any more,'' the Spaniard told 'AS' newspaper.

''But he is a great champion; he never throws in the towel.''

Schumacher himself is under a Ferrari gag-order to keep quiet until Sunday, but such a news bombshell must be difficult to contain.

He did admit to reporters that he has 'no plans' for the months following a theoretical retirement after 89 grand prix wins.

''I suppose I would be unemployed,'' he smiled. Asked if he would miss these gatherings with reporters, the German giggled back: ''Of course!''

Younger brother Ralf counted himself out of the topic entirely, when asked if he thought Michael is about to retire, commence a sabbatical, or switch to a rival team.

''I choose option number four,'' the German answered, ''and will look for a good Pizzeria for this evening.

''I don't want to say anything. It's his decision.''
Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Bad

What I feel is unfortunate is the missed opportunity to see MS teamed with a top tier driver as a teammate. While there is no arguing his talents, the team has always ensured maximizing his success at the expense of whoever his teammate was at the time. All the team's resources were focused on MS' success. Any strategy that involved the number two driver was solely for the benefit of MS. RB's frustrations were evident so many times. It would have been interesting to see the dynamics if this were not the case with a driver as competent as Kimi. If he truly is the greatest driver it would have undeniably proved itself if he could beat such a teammate on a level field. But leaving now with one of the best drivers in the sport coming in raises speculation that will last forever.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Daigo,

I think its pretty clear the he is superior. When Ferrari did not have the best package he always clearly exceeded the teamate's performance.

RB is good but not at the same level as MS, neither was Irvine but I miss his antics.

Granted, it would be great to see KR or FA compete against MS in similar cars.... I would not include "Whine Pablo" on that list since I'm sure that he would not win and "it would not be his fault but the car's"
Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The thing that MS brought to F1 was not just on track performance. He changed the sport such that it was not longer good enough to be fast, but you had to be a team builder. What I mean by team builder is to win WDC you need the entire team including all engineers, mechanics, designers, sponsor finder, even the "co-driver" to all work with one goal in mind.

Before MS I think that most felt a really good driver could overcome alot. I think to day to win a WDC and especially more than 1 you that complete team effort.

When was the last time a driver won the WDC without having the fastest/most reliable car and full team support. (ie great stratagy, pit stops, mfg/supplier involvement, etc). I think it has been a LONG time... easily pre 94 and Schumachers Benetton Title.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Default Agreed

Juan,
I agree with your comment that Eddie and Rubino are not in the same league, and there is no question in my mind to MS' ability. But it would have silenced the critics in a head to head driver's challenge with a top driver and near identical machines.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daigo
Juan,
But it would have silenced the critics in a head to head driver's challenge with a top driver and near identical machines.
Maybe, but I think the days of doing that in big money racing is over.

It all started with Mark Donohue & Roger Penske with the "unfair advantage". If you can't bet them on talent alone beat them on preparation and equipment.

MS may not be the best driving talent in F1 ever or even now, but he has shown it takes more that JUST driving talent to win as much as he has.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I think, like him or not, it was a sad day. Most extremely sucessful racers have some moments they'd rather forget but in reality, he has proven himself to be a champion. I hated to see FA go out the way he did yesterday but this is going to be an exciting end to the season!

I think he couldn't have had a better moment to announce his retirement. And with Kimi sitting right next to him was the best!

Quick Reply: Schumacher to retire