AMB transponder (non-direct wire) battery replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts
Question AMB transponder (non-direct wire) battery replacement question

I gave my transponder to my buddy to use for a driver's school event only to find it never reaches a charged, usable state. My rechargeable transponder no longer gets a green light after about 5 days on the charger - it used to take about 2-3 days to get there. Before I go opening it up, is the unit powered by standard cells that can be purchased and replaced? I am curious of anyone has done this before and has some hints. Has anyone try to wire a rechargeable transponder direct from a 12V source on the car?

Does AMB do the battery replacement if I send it in, and for how much? I could not find that service info on their website - seems they'd rather sell you a new one!! My next race is in 2 weeks, so I need to do something to get this thing power! Thank you
Old 09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

AMB will replace the battery, but the price varies depending on age, new style vs old style, etc.

As a short term fix in 2 weeks, could you run a wire from switched 12V to the transponder, in other words, run it as a hardwired unit?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.amb-it.com/pdf/forms/EUTr...er%20repair%22

However, if you should experience any problems with your AMB transponder, please send it to:

AMB America
Sales & Support
Operating Hours 09:00-17:30
Eastern Standard Time
AMB i.t. US Inc.
3200 Highlands Parkway Ste. 104
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A
Telephone: +1 678 816 4000
Fax: +1 678 816 4001
E-mail:info@amb-us.com

*When sending in equipment for service, please include your contact information and a brief description of the problem.

Last edited by ltc; 09-11-2006 at 09:25 AM. Reason: updated US office contact info
Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I just picked up a rechargeable AMB transponder. Is there any problem with leaving it uncharged and only charging it up before events (about once a month)?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

I was just reading the website posted by ltc and it says that the transponder if kept in the cradle when not in use, will maximize the life of the batteries.... hmmm, that might have helped
Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by garrett376
I was just reading the website posted by ltc and it says that the transponder if kept in the cradle when not in use, will maximize the life of the batteries.... hmmm, that might have helped
That is strange, but according to the instructions that came wtih my son's AMB160 (karting, yellow color)) transponder......

"! Charging Instructions !"

Do not charge the transponder longer than necessary for a full charge.
A full charge is indicated by a steady green LED
Fully charge and discharge the transponder once every three months.
Please refer to the manual for complete charging instructions

Wrongly charged transponders may void transponder warranty....USA

OK, so now I read the instructions:
Charging
Place the transponder in the charger. A flashing red light means the transponder is charging and a steady green light means it is fully charged after 14 hours. Charge the transponder at least every 3 months. Do not charge the transponder longer than necessary for a longer battery life.

garrett,
do your instructions for the 260 say the same thing?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Emailed AMB USA in GA, here is the response (30 minutes...pretty good customer service):

The correct answer is that the transponder will go on "trickle charge," so you certainly don't have to remove the transponder from charge the instant it finishes charging (an extra 24 hours is fine, for example). However, we do not recommend leaving the charger all the time. That will shorten the overall life of the battery.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

After about 4 years, my first AMB rechargeable TX stopped 'charging'. $90 to AMB and I got a replacement. Apparently there were some kind of issues with the lithium batteries used in TranX260's (I think that's the model) which contributed to long 'green flash' life (~5-7 days) but a short life overall. The new one will only give me ~3 days on a charge.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for all of the info! I got mine used and it didn't come with any paperwork.

Quick Reply: AMB transponder (non-direct wire) battery replacement question