Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cool suit wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006 | 02:37 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Default cool suit wiring

I am installing a cool suit and am not sure about the wiring. There are 2 wires brown and black which is power and which is ground? Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-02-2006 | 03:24 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Mike,
The Brown wire is the Positive and the Black is the negative. I wired mine up to a double throw switch, one was is always on and the other way is to a aerator controller to cycle the pump. Bought mine from basspro, for $35, beats the $100 the cool shirt folks want.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Todd
Old 09-02-2006 | 07:24 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Thanks Todd:

What is the purpose of the aerator controller?

Mike
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:26 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

The aerator pump control works to be a temperature control. It will cycle the pump on/off, so you don't get too cold. July/Aug here the cool shirt stays on, just too hot.
Old 09-03-2006 | 02:02 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Very cool (sorry!). Does the controller require additional power to run it, or can I tack it inline
with the cooler's negative wire (I ground it out with a switch on my dashboard to turn on the pump).

Is it lightweight?
Old 09-03-2006 | 02:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by analogmike
Very cool (sorry!). Does the controller require additional power to run it, or can I tack it inline
with the cooler's negative wire (I ground it out with a switch on my dashboard to turn on the pump).
Is it lightweight?
Mike it works inline and weights next to nothing. I use it pre-grid, or even on the grid but once the flag dops I turn it all the way on and forget about it. I have sealed windows, is your open?
Old 09-03-2006 | 02:58 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Mike it works inline and weights next to nothing. I use it pre-grid, or even on the grid but once the flag dops I turn it all the way on and forget about it. I have sealed windows, is your open?
Thanks for the info. My cup car has removeable windows, always pull them out when racing except maybe rain (fumes in the cup car make me sick). I can reach the on.off switch in the cup car easily. I put an extra set of cool suit hoses in my '73 and wired it up a few weeks ago. Then at my 1st race with it, discovered when belted in I could not reach the on/off switch.

I like the cool suit for pregrid and grid, that's when I get really hot. During the races I think I use it too much, it feels like it's barely on, I guess I get used to it after a while. But when I come in and take off my cool shirt, my skin is ICE COLD on my back and chest. That thermostat sounds like a good idea.

Looks like I will need the cool suit tomorrow at the Lime Rock Vintage Festival as it's getting warm again.

Quick Reply: cool suit wiring