Recent Events in CART

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent Events in CART

Hi All,
I was surprised there has been no discussion (that I could find) about the events of the last few weeks.
IE (here is how I saw it)
Week 1
Tracy pulls back on track in front an at speed car causing wreck and endangering fellow competitor and himself with very bad judgment.
Week 2
Tracy gets passed by points leader then takes him out, looked like the ultimate in bad sportsmanship and attempt to advance teammate to me.
Week 3
Tracy puts on a disgusting display of crowd baiting a’la WWF

I thought he should have been suspend for two weeks after the first week incident what do you think? I think CART is going to hell in a hand basket fast!

Bill Chadwick
Old 08-28-2006, 08:21 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CART benefited and probably loved all the coverage he gained for running into Tag. That fight clip made every news highlight. It was a NASCAR style brawl. For guys like us, it was inexcusable, but you know the saying; "there's no such thing as bad publicity".
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
Hi All,
I thought he should have been suspend for two weeks after the first week incident what do you think? I think CART is going to hell in a hand basket fast!

Bill Chadwick
No way can Champ Car suspend a driver, with DaMatta out they only have, what, 16 cars starting a race, if they suspend Tracy they would only have 15 cars starting. Anyway, publicity is publicity, good or bad.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty pathetic if a racing series can't suspend a driver because it will leave too few cars on the starting grid.

Speed wasn't that great to potentially hurt the other driver but jeez how many times does he get to pull the boneheaded crap. Even MASCAR has better control of their money makers.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Even MASCAR has better control of their money makers.
I don't think so. I know Tony Stewart punted someone into another driver recently, and there was another incident involving another driver running into someone else during a yellow and almost taking his hand off.

To me, NASCAR is quickly turning into WWF. (sorry for not knowing all the drivers involved).
Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

NASCAR = WWF of racing.

Champ car = on the outside (way outside) looking in.

Tracy = A-hole, but as they say at this point ANY publicity is good for them. Hey I wonder how many folks are tuning in to see "what that A-hole Tracy will do next"
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The Nascar incidents are typically intentionally bumping someone to cause a spin. Tracy's were bad judgement/red mist. I wonder if he feels pressured because there are faster, younger guns on his turf. I see anger management classes in his future. AS
Old 08-28-2006, 12:17 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
It's pretty pathetic if a racing series can't suspend a driver because it will leave too few cars on the starting grid.

Speed wasn't that great to potentially hurt the other driver but jeez how many times does he get to pull the boneheaded crap. Even MASCAR has better control of their money makers.
Well, it's not like his team owner has any pull with the series owners.

It would be like Marco Andretti getting suspended for anything in the IRL - not going to happen, not as long as Mario is alive.

Yea Tracy is a bonehead. I still like him better than SeaBass.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

He really needs to be suspended.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look in the lower rigth corner. Rothmans 944 Cup
Old 08-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Bill935K3
Racer

As far as car count goes, because your driver is suspended does not mean the car can't run IE put Max Papis or better yet Jacques Villeneuve in for 2 weeks? In fact I feel if your driver is suspended you should be REQUIRED to run the car!
I know what you are saying RE team owner also one of series owners, one reason PT can act as he does is there is not a true sponser paying the bills. Remember Home Depot slapping down Stewart not too long ago? Might happen again the way he is going.
RE DeMatta, with all due respect for him and best wishes for a full recovery, that car should be back on track by now. If they have enough parts? (a serious issue with Cart right now) I'd like to see Jon Forgerty get a shot, He got a raw deal, 2 time Toyota Atlantic champ and Danica P gets a open wheel ride before he does. I understand the marketing end of it but the bald 30 year old with GREAT ABILITY got shafted.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
Hi All,
Week 3
Tracy puts on a disgusting display of crowd baiting a’la WWF

Bill Chadwick
My friend you need to relax, it's only racing...that mask was funny as heck! Corner workers got a big kick out of it if you saw them playing around with him.

Paul can be a bonehead...but sure is fun to watch.

Also, I think CART is picking up more viewers. Can't remember where i saw the lattest attendance numbers...if I find them i'll post'em. May have been racer mag.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

PT is the John McEnroe of Cart... he will do wonders for it by getting it noticed by people who otherwise never would pay attention to it.

In order to succeed, it has to be entertaining, and his antics add some spiciness to the mix.

Besides, I like his attitude. It was lots of fun watching that reality show last year that followed them around... Race Car Driver? something like that...
Old 08-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Bill935K3
Racer

My friend you need to relax, it's only racing
ONLY RACING?? Gee I always figured top level racing was great entertainment without the crap of the last three weekends. Great driving, thrilling moves, calculated risk at breathtaking speeds, rare crashes due to legitimate mistakes/misjudgments, plus legitimate rivalry is what I’m looking for.
The two crashes PT caused put his competitors at NEEDLESS risk. For instance PT’s RF wheel to Sea Bass’s powered LR and he could have gone air born and upside down. Open wheel Open cockpit racing can go from thrilling entertainment to tragedy in a heartbeat. Just ask DeMatta, when and if he is able? The list of recent (5 years) serous injuries and death in CART, IRL is very long. I just have no respect for what I have seen from PT and the organization that allows his antics to continue. I care enough for the sport to want to see it succeed on the merits above; not degraded into low class trash.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Juan Pablo and Zinardi were both aggressive CART drivers without the trash. Much more entertaining than a Tracy bonehead screw-up. Maybe he should have switched to NASCAR. AS

Quick Reply: Recent Events in CART