Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left foot braking in F1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are a fair number of F1 drivers who don't lfb or who do only occasionally. I am not sure that coming up from carts is a deciding factor as after carts, they are unlikely to experience this type of gearbox for some time. Their car experience is all in cars that need a clutch!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
I think there are a fair number of F1 drivers who don't lfb or who do only occasionally. I am not sure that coming up from carts is a deciding factor as after carts, they are unlikely to experience this type of gearbox for some time. Their car experience is all in cars that need a clutch!
With all due respect, could you name one (other than Rubens)?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:51 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
With all due respect, could you name one (other than Rubens)?
TBH, my F1 knowledge was a bit out of date, so I needed to make a phone call or 2! So here is a lowdown on LFB, as far as I can tell.

Rubens actually converted to LFB at Ferrari!However, during the last few months at Honda he has gone back to RFB. He was finding the balance of the braking so different to the Ferrari that he struggled but since going back to rfb his performances have improved.

Button seems to switch between the 2 modes. It seems he was one of the only people doing it in F3 when he drove them but switched back to RFB when he started F1. Now he varies it, depending on circuit.

During his whole time at Mclaren, DC didn't lfb and when he first joined, neither did Hakkinen. I don't know if either of these guys do now.

You might well ask, what is my source. Well, I admit some of this is off the net but a good friend raced F3 against Button, F3000 with Webber and his old race mechanic is at Mclaren, as does his sister who runs the PR department. His other sister used to be with BAR doing a similar job.

I would also like to claim to have phoned Ron Dennis as well. After all, he is a member of the same golf club as me, I have been introduced to him and his phone number is in the members handbook!. But I think that would be taking the #### a bit.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to call.

I think even DC nowadays LFBs, and he did use LFB in McLaren at least when they had the "3rd pedal" in use before FIA banned it.
Except in the beginning, Hakkinen LFBd in F1, I haven't though about asked his preference today in DTM.

So it seems currently it's Button half time and Barichello full time.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:03 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I was also told a story about Damon Hill. He never came to terms with the whole lfb thing although he did use it towards the end. The real problem he had was getting off the start line without a foot clutch as he struggled to co-ordinate holding the car on the brake with the left foot, throttle with the right and the clutch on a hand lever. His starts were aweful. It became a bit of a joke and was it is suggested that this is one of the reasons he was dropped by Williams
Old 08-28-2006, 04:33 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is perhaps less of what foot is used to step on the brake pedal but more of using brake, throttle and steering input simultaneously as MS does to approach the optimum cornering force in any given corner.

If our cars had paddle shifters, we could practice this easier, but with a clutch pedal in the way it's more difficult.

Sherwood
Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Great video clip. Data supports how smooth Schumi is on deceleration and acceleration, while he is making minor steering wheel corrections. Now I want to see the comparison of Shumi and Alonso. It appears from the television graphics that alonso was getting back on the gas sooner.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:40 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by renvagn
Great video clip. Data supports how smooth Schumi is on deceleration and acceleration, while he is making minor steering wheel corrections. Now I want to see the comparison of Shumi and Alonso. It appears from the television graphics that alonso was getting back on the gas sooner.
It might have appeared that way because Alonso was in the corner first, thus out first. For a more accurate comparison, they should show graphics according to the same position on the track. Otherwise, 4th place Button's throttle ON moment would appear some 9 seconds late. I did notice simultaneous throttle/braking by MS, but only one or the other from Alonso. I think we can agree that MS was quicker at the end. Unfortunately, being faster behind the person in front doesn't count for points.

I found myself rooting for MS for a change, just to make the championship a little more exciting with just a few races left. I think there'll be plenty of stress and overtime from both teams before Monza.

Sherwood
Old 08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SimonExtreme sounds like he know what he is talking about. My info came off the internet. I'm satisfied. Nobody belongs to the golf club I do, it's a par 3, 9 hole. I do think the tractor driver at the golf club is named Dennis, and that's his first name, but everybody calls him Bubba

Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

LOL @ Bill!!

Having said that Ron D is a member of the golf club, I have seen him there once this year and he never seems to be there at weekends during the summer! As the club is only about 15mins from his base, you would have thought he might slip away for a quick 9 holes at theend of the day

Strange thing is and totally unrelated to RD joining, another member managed Jaques Villeneuve (sp) for about 8 years! He tells some stories about the behind the scenes politics of the sport, if that is what F1 still is.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, being faster behind the person in front doesn't count for points.

Yes Sherwood I guess both Ferrari's were so low on fuel it was the only option to stack them in the pit, but it cost MS the race. Another few laps and it would have gotten even more interesting.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Bill, that's a good one!

BTW, I'll promise to try golf when I'm too old to hit the moving target... Until then, I'll stick (pun intended) with ice hockey and other real sports.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
BTW, I'll promise to try golf when I'm too old to hit the moving target... Until then, I'll stick (pun intended) with ice hockey and other real sports.
I feel exactly the same.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:48 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Just curious how far do you have to travel to find a sheet of ice in FL?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renvagn
Just curious how far do you have to travel to find a sheet of ice in FL?
Surprisingly (even though they closed one rink close to me) closest one is only 10 min. away.

It's actually like a 3/4 of a rink but since one of the NHL greats (he currently is one of the top guys in his team & has won four, yes, four Stanley Cups ) skates with us and the rink is good enough for him, it's definitely good enough for me also!

Quick Reply: left foot braking in F1??