Sponsored by:

Ultrashield Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrashield Seats

I am currently looking for seats for my 88 924s that will be used for DEs. I went to a friends house yesterday to sit in an ultrashield seat he had, and I liked the fit except that the openeings for the shoulder harness were about two inches too low. This was their biggest (18") seat(Im a big guy, 6'2 300lbs). Common sense tells me that the belts being that low is not such a good thing. Today I called Ultrashield and they said for about $100 more they can make me a seat with the belt holes moved up. Has anyone had them make a custom seat? Any feedback? Im looking at the pro road race seat if that matters.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:07 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I had an ultrashield custom seat and it fit perfectly. Have someone help with the measurements and be meticulous. One thing, it wasn't very easy to get in and out of. (of course, it was the total containment model).

Another thing to consider, will you be getting a HANS device in the future (you should). If so, have the seat made for it.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:18 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6'2" and 300 lbs I would get the strongest seat you can buy. I'm 230lbs and have always kept an eye out for seat construction for bigger folks. I have EVO2's now and the shell seems to flex a lot less than a standard EVO. This leads me to believe the seat is not only larger but designed for a heavier load. I'm not sure the aluminum companies do that. Keep in mind a 10g load to your 150lb friend (I don't have any, they're way to skinny to be around) will put 1500lbs through the seat. A 10g load with you in the seat is 3000lbs!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on getting some sor tof H&N device eventually so I was planning on getting a seat that would work with the HANS just in case. I was very clear with ultrashile reguarding my body size and they told me I have nothign to worry about as long as the seat back is tied to the roll bar, which I was planning on doing anyways. I have sat in an ultrashield and a kirkey and when I did I made sure that I moved around to see if I could detect any flexing. They were more stiff than the composite seats I tried, but the composites were out because the belt holes were even lower than with the aluminum seats. Thanks again for the info.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:47 PM
onasled
Instructor

Strongest?.... go with the Kirkey 5300. Seni custom fit with many options. This is one strong and VERY safe seat. I use it myself.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:31 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

It is generally not a problem to simply modify the seat holes yourself. I have done this many times, although I've not had to with an Ultrashield. They have always fit me, and I'm taller than yourself. If you are not comfortable with the mods, or have no one to do it for you, the $100 will be well spent.

The only seat they make that is very stiff is the Super Seat, and it is indeed VERY stiff. The other Ultrashield seats are much less so, but if it is tied to the cage at shoulder height, that is a moot point.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I had an ultrashield custom seat and it fit perfectly. Have someone help with the measurements and be meticulous. One thing, it wasn't very easy to get in and out of. (of course, it was the total containment model).

Another thing to consider, will you be getting a HANS device in the future (you should). If so, have the seat made for it.
And they do not know how to do this...ask me how I know. couple of things. I like my US it is a great seat. I did the custom 1200.00 one full containmwnt top of the line. Customer support sucks so if you get it right great if not you are screwed. If you get a custom seat make sure you get and pay for an extra set of covers if you plan to keep the seats for a while. If you do not they have no patterns to make more covers and you need to send the seat back to do this. This is costly. They could have told me that as if they have done this before. To this day I know the HANS is about "x" inches with the plastic and pads. but you can't predict how much your body will compress and the HANS will compress to get shoulder height. So you need to guess because US is not capable of taking your shoulder measurement and adding what is needed for HANS. Also, your shoulder can have a slope from your neck to the point of your shoulder. This can be several inches. Add this to the questionable hans thickness and you can have shoulder holes not where you need them. Sure this measurement seems easy but in reality you need to figure average shoulder height between the low point and high neck area, and compress spine, compressed HANS, and compressed seat cushion pad. Ask US how to do this. I did and still got it wrong. I had to modify my custom seat because dealing with US and cover changed was a total pain in the A. I do not know how to solve this problem because US is no help. they refer you to their drawings and you wing it. My numbers per thier picture is right but still it came out wrong. There must be some referrecne point differences and HANS compression and the slope of my shoulders and body compression when fully belted.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the belt holes are not positioned too low. I ran with a Spec Miata where this was a problem, although I didn't realize it at the time. When the belts are cinched tight, it compresses your chest and your breathing will suffer. I'm 6'1" and wear a Hans. Well into a long enduro stint I was overcome and don't want to tell you how sick I got from it.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

300 pounds times, say, 50Gs = 15,000# total harness load. If about 40% of that goes to your shoulder belts and they drop down 30 degrees off horizontal, the compressive load on your spine will be ~3,000#.

Rough numbers, yes, but they make a hundred bucks look like a good investment.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:05 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i love my ultrashield's in my 993 FWIW
Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gbaker
Rough numbers, yes, but they make a hundred bucks look like a good investment.
Thats why I decided to get the seat made for me. I just need to find a yard stick and someone to help with the measurements and hopefully my order will be placed next week. Thanks for all of the info!!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

I have their seat and really like it. I’m 6' 225. I went with their most upright option (short arms) we did have to modify for Hans and shorten side wraps for elbow clearance. I have added a couple of chunks of HD foam over the years to perfect fit. Their claim that the seat was Hans friendly was not true in my case, and they were not helpful with that issue, but they build one hell of a seat for a real fair price.
The phots show seat as delivered and the mod we did for Hans clearance
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Ultrashield Seats