Setting up your P-car for Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Speaking of 997s, I see there's one signed up in C.
I'd be more worried about the 993TT. If he's any good, and the car is setup at all, he'll hold his own in the infield and then it will be bye-bye on the straight!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I'd be more worried about the 993TT. If he's any good, and the car is setup at all, he'll hold his own in the infield and then it will be bye-bye on the straight!
You're right about that. If it finishes it should win. As I recall, Billy Berard ran away with C at RRII in his TT.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
No rear wing and NO2!

I've talked with racers who have run 900+hp supermodifieds on the oval at ~240mph.

...never lifted.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

I think it would be legal to revert to the pre-03 gearset (much taller) and set the rear wing to flat. That setup in a cup car should see 185 or so on the straight.

Like Mike said may not be worth it. I registered but may withdraw and do Summit instead and shoot for a 1:16 something this year.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:42 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Any idea what some of the C cars have run at Daytona in the past??
Old 08-17-2006, 11:01 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
Any idea what some of the C cars have run at Daytona in the past??
2004 Rensport Reunion Results

Chris Cervelli ran a 2:10.2 in a C class 993 RSCS
Ron Savenor ran a 2:12.8 in an E class 964
Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
2004 Rensport Reunion Results

Chris Cervelli ran a 2:10.2 in a C class 993 RSCS
Ron Savenor ran a 2:12.8 in an E class 964
It looks like Berard was 2 1/2 seconds faster than Cervelli at 2:07.8 in his C class 993TT.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:33 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Grand-Am Cup GS-class 996's which are very close to C-Stock cars have run in the low 2:03's there on the series spec Hoosiers. My car, which would have really only needed the interior added back in to qualify as a C-stock car ran consistantly in the 2:08's with an ailing engine (dead o2 sensor best we could tell) at the Test Days last year and in the 2:06's at the Daytona race. And that was with a 3.4L in my car. The 3.6L, especially an X-51 engine, should easily be able to match or beat those times with a good driver.

Wish I still had mine. Interior back in, it would be fun to head down there and run in C.

Setting the wing to flat picked up several hundred RPM on the banking in my car. If it was me, as long as I was taking the kink in the infield flat or very close to flat (maybe just a little lift to set the front end for turn-in), I'd set the wing to flat, it'll be worth it on the banking. Might even be worth it anyway.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Adam,
Did any of the GA Cup 996s/997s run without the taco wing? It might give us poor water cooled guys a slight top end advantage against the RSAs and RSCS that have to run their wings/spoilers.
Jim

Speaking of 997s, I see there's one signed up in C.
Very few GAC cars run without the rear spoiler, even at Daytona. But if you have the adjustable wing, definitely run it flat. There was an appreciable difference between just a bit of angle and flat.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
While some of us can speculate as to why to do this, it would be helpful to most to explain the reasons for your advice. I for one get extremely even wear on my rear tires, and run very little toe-in, and am wondering if I really need to make any changes.
The banking at Daytona generates significant vertical load along with a constant lateral load. The amount of heat generated is not matched on a flat track, or even a track with a few banked turns. If you're getting even temps across the tread on a flat track and made no changes, I would anticipate about a 40 F spread at Daytona. With that kind of spread, you are likely to have dangerously high temps on the inside. This is the reason for the decreased camber.

Assuming the temperature is even across the tread, you will definitely see a higher temperature. As i mentioned before there is a significant increase in load/heat from the banking. While the temperatures might not be dangerously high, it is likely that it will be beyond the recommended operating temperature of the tire. Tire wear and life will be compromised and performance will not be optimised. By going to a larger diameter tire, you are increasing the amount rubber in contact with the road without increasing the amount of heat being put into the tire. Consequnetly, tread temps will go down. Increased tire air volume and sidewall will also contribute.

If you overheat a tire due to load (rather than overdriving it) it will "go away" quickly during a practice, and in many cases, it will not come back, even when it is allowed to cool.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:09 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=BBailey]Grand-Am Cup GS-class 996's which are very close to C-Stock cars have run in the low 2:03's there on the series spec Hoosiers. My car, which would have really only needed the interior added back in to qualify as a C-stock car ran consistantly in the 2:08's with an ailing engine (dead o2 sensor best we could tell) at the Test Days last year and in the 2:06's at the Daytona race. And that was with a 3.4L in my car. The 3.6L, especially an X-51 engine, should easily be able to match or beat those times with a good driver.

QUOTE]

So Brian, what you're saying is that with an x51 and 315 Hoosiers, a guy would be a real hack if he doesn't run a 2:05. Now that's pressure.

Did you ever get the Cadillac?

Thanks for the info Adam.
Jim
Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I have a RSR front bumper on my narrow body G 73 911'S'. I was going to buy a Ducktail to balance out the aero, should I get it or leave it off?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So Brian, what you're saying is that with an x51 and 315 Hoosiers, a guy would be a real hack if he doesn't run a 2:05. Now that's pressure.

Did you ever get the Cadillac?

Thanks for the info Adam.
Jim
No, just giving some references for what I think should be attainable.

At the end of the day, its really going to depend on the conditions. If its hot/humid, its going to be tough to replicate times like those. Look at the difference in times for the Rolex series between the Daytona weekend and the Paul Riviere weekend. Slower in the summer. It's hotter, less grip, engines make less power, etc.

But a 3.6L X-51 engine makes darn good power, definitely more than a 3.6L GAC engine (well, my uneducated, non-engineer self would think so, but what do I know, Adam, what do you think?) so who knows what a well sorted/driven C-stock 996 could do.

No Cadillac. Wasn't feasible with the divorce going on. There was just too much risk that the ex was going to try to get her hands on my racing assets and I didn't want to risk buying that car and losing it to her. So racing was put on hold this year. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do next year right now.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBailey
There was just too much risk that the ex was going to try to get her hands on my racing assets....
Racing assets? You have racing assets? My wife would never divorce me due to the fact that she would be liable for half of the racing debt!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I was sitting in the living room yesterday and my wife says to me "the kids said you bought another car last week". "You never told me that". It took me about 4 hours to work my way out of that one. The night before I bought the car I said to her "I found a car to replace the race car I just crashed". "I want to make the guy and offer". All I got in return was the look! Ya'll know about the look. I decided that was a go sign. Anyways, it was a fun night...

Quick Reply: Setting up your P-car for Daytona