Sponsored by:

Looks like the car is totalled

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Geoffrey,

From the on-board video, it appears that the overtaking car's left FRONT fender contacts the right front side of my car which is in the turn. I really don't think I turned into the other car's rear quarter panel.

According to another driver who was on the straight between turns 2 & 3, the overtaking car did not have room to complete a pass at that point.

I haven't seen a corner worker's report, but if the corner worker saw it the way you did, of course I'd agree with the steward's track-side ruling.

What's interesting (and fairly common from a life's experience point-of-view), is that I have spoken or communicated with 3 or 4 different people who were "watching" the same occurrence and each account is different. For example, one observer stated that he didn't even realize there was any contact between the vehicles and thought the other car had lost control entering the turn.

Frank,

I know you couldn't see this, but I was wondering if you knew whether Joe C. may have witnessed the "incident"? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
I just don't understand why you don't feel that situational awareness isn't an integral part of DE.
-Z-man.
Situational awareness is an important part of DE, but is CRITICAL in Racing.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Richard,
two things here. First of all, after posting I realized that it's totally unfair of me to comment on what I hadn't seen first hand. Sorry for that. I don't recall who commented on it to me, but I'll probe around, one of my guys definitely saw it. Secondly, we've ventured off the original post, so perhaps you'd like to open a new one and post the video for us?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"I just don't understand why you don't feel that situational awareness isn't an integral part of DE."

Z,

Once again, you have put your own thoughts into another's statements leading to another unnecessary diatribe. I never, ever said that situational awareness isn't an integral part of DE. Perhaps I wasn't as clear as you needed it to be, but my comment was about the LEVEL of situational awareness as Joe mentioned above. As you pointed out, passing in corners is usually prohibited in a DE environment where it is a common occurance in racing. This is the difference I was referring to. I also just assumed that it was obvious that situational awareness is necessary in any driving environment including to the grocery store. You may benefit from taking a logic class at college. Jeez!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoffrey -
Thanks for the clarification. All you said was "Situational awareness is one of the key differences between racing and DE." Using the word "differences" implies that it is evident in one, but not the other. For example: "A rear engine layout is one of the key differences between a 911 and a 944."

There's no need to slam me down for my comments. I may not have as vast experience in this sport as you do, but talking down to me is not necessary.

-Zoltan.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"Using the word "differences" implies that it is evident in one, but not the other."

"one of the key differences between a small block Chevy and a Porsche 944 is the camshaft" Does this imply that one has a camshaft and the other does not?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Z-man
Race Director

The Key Difference between
Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Once again, you have put your own thoughts into another's statements leading to another unnecessary diatribe. I never, ever said that situational awareness isn't an integral part of DE. Perhaps I wasn't as clear as you needed it to be, but my comment was about the LEVEL of situational awareness as Joe mentioned above. As you pointed out, passing in corners is usually prohibited in a DE environment where it is a common occurance in racing. This is the difference I was referring to. I also just assumed that it was obvious that situational awareness is necessary in any driving environment including to the grocery store. You may benefit from taking a logic class at college. Jeez!
and

CR requires a greater LEVEL of situational awareness, especially in the corners...
is the fact that your offensive comments are completely unnecessary.

Perhaps you may benefit from taking an etiquette class at college.

-Z.

My apologies for derailing this thread.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:09 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW:

- Geoffrey's comments WERE open to misinterpretation. One could quite possibly maybe kinda infer a tone of condescention there. Whether that was intentional or not is another matter ENTIRELY. Such are the travails of the language and the Internet.

- We should all be quite well-versed enough on the differences in situational awareness needed to undertake both pastimes successfully. That this awareness is not restricted to or limited by participation in one or the other, to any particular degree, is patently obvious. I don't see where any further comment was necessary.

But it does make for fun theater, occasionally.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmm...

It occurs to me that the injectors are powered off the KLR in a Turbo. The S2 doesn't have a KLR. One wire is not a big deal, but how many other differences are there? Perhap$ a lot more than meet$ the eye. Might end up being an expen$ive propo$ition.
The injector drivers on a turbo actually do come out of the DME. Regardless though, the S2 wiring and DME will need to be ported over because of the different trigger wheel. The S2 uses a 60-2 wheel where the turbo uses the starter teeth and a reference sensor.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:05 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Hi Frank,

I gave the tape to a friend to copy onto CD format. I will also ask him to save it to his computer and send it to me so that I can try to post it here (which is something that I have yet to try and attempt on-line).

Ciao.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

yeah, I don't know how to post a clip yet either, in fact, I just signed on to this mailing list yesterday! However, sharing clips is a great thing, so get it out there. In the meantime, I can't get any work done, I'm too busy searching this new found site out....
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Vague or not, Geoffrey is right. DE takes a marginal amount of situation awareness, but in racing it is all important.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 PM
mein51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is someone on the 944 board contemplating getting rid of a "spare" S2 taking up garage space. I think its a high mileage car - might be perfect for tub + spares?
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/289898-what-should-i-do-with-a-spare-s2.html
Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Richard,
Have you been able to post your video yet? Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Hi Greg,

Gave the tape to a friend to transfer onto CD for me, hoping that will allow me to download or whatever I need to do to post vid. I'll end up enlisting the aid of one of our friends here to post the video for me when I get the CD back.

Check your PM.

Ciao!

Last edited by richard glickel.; 08-17-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Looks like the car is totalled