Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Bar / Guide and Prep Help for PCA DE Event.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:08 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Food for Thought - The belt bar can see upwards of 3000lbs +/- of load in an "average" crash (30-40G), and that is generated by only one occupant.
Were you a jockey in a previous occupation? 3000 lb/30g = 100 lb including the seat, helmet and suit.

Bro
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Dad911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bruinbro
Were you a jockey in a previous occupation? 3000 lb/30g = 100 lb including the seat, helmet and suit.

Bro
or 200 lb. if you assume the shoulder harnesses restrict 1/2 of the force.....the laps/seat/sub restrict the other half.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:08 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by Dad911
or 200 lb. if you assume the shoulder harnesses restrict 1/2 of the force.....the laps/seat/sub restrict the other half.
I stand corrected.

Bro
Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Jeez---if you show up with shoulder harness attached to the bk guide bar, at some point, someone's going to notice and you're not going to pass tech. You're gping to have to purchase a truss or a rollbar to fix your mistake in the future. Listen to John H---spend an extra couple bucks and have a setup that will function nicely with the racing seats in your future, or stick to the oem setup if you're not committed to doing the damn thing right! You want him to be tough--he's driven a few more laps than you!!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:35 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you a jockey in a previous occupation? 3000 lb/30g = 100 lb including the seat, helmet and suit. Bro
Ummm... yeh;

But I killed too many horses. 6'5" 235lbs here, bub!

All I know is what I have read in my studdies. Schroth states that their testing shows shoulder belts regularly see an average load of about 1500lbs ea. Lap belts see 2800lbs of load. I assumed this was also carried by what they attach to. Perhaps it is not that linear, but the point is still what it is.

The bottom line is that BK says don't use the R1010 for belt mounting. Many PCA regions say don't use guide bars for mounting. Unless a device is constructed of roll cage grade material, or is a product specifically designed, tested, and marketed as a direct mount, why take the chance of being told to go home?

RedlineMan says Do your homework before you even CONSIDER any of this. Find someone who knows. THAT is the real hard part.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Were you a jockey in a previous occupation? .......

Bro
He is more likely to be mistaken for the horse, albeit a rather skinny one!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:24 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to run my 993 C2S in DE's and I have everything left over from the sale of the car. This includes the BK harness bar, which has guides on the top to prevent the straps from slipping off, a fire extinguisher mount for the passenger seat, the right accelerator pedal (I think they call it third foot) that clips right on, and a host of other quick pieces to make it nice. I am going to post to Renn classifieds to sell it all, but you have exactly that body style, so take first crack if you like. I think I even have all the clips and harness attachments. Further, I am looking to move a South Sports tracktrailer that I used to pull, and it also carried two bicycles. I can help you with the setup of that car, if this interests you.

Quick Reply: Harness Bar / Guide and Prep Help for PCA DE Event.