Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What street-legal car to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 08:32 PM
Timbo
6th Gear

Question What street-legal car to get?

Hi all, looking for sage advice on what car I should be looking for. Heres' my situation - I have some track experience (DE only), want to buy a 911 that I will start out doing DE with, but as my skill improves I want the option of racing PCA/POC, and I want it to be competitive in its class. I want a car I can "grow into" for the next 3-5 years.

Also:
* Needs to be street legal. I don't want to do trailering, and I want to do the occasional mountain road blast.
* Safety stuff (roll cage, harnesses) a must.
* Reliability is important, I'm not a wrencher and good shops are hard to find up here.
* Price, I'm thinking $30-45K range.

Thoughts? Am I mistaken that "street legal" and "competitive racer" can even be possible in the same car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2006 | 08:39 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Timbo
Hi all, looking for sage advice on what car I should be looking for. Heres' my situation - I have some track experience (DE only), want to buy a 911 that I will start out doing DE with, but as my skill improves I want the option of racing PCA/POC, and I want it to be competitive in its class. I want a car I can "grow into" for the next 3-5 years.

Also:
* Needs to be street legal. I don't want to do trailering, and I want to do the occasional mountain road blast.
* Safety stuff (roll cage, harnesses) a must.
* Reliability is important, I'm not a wrencher and good shops are hard to find up here.
* Price, I'm thinking $30-45K range.
No question, get a 964. Awesome in E class and plenty fast if driven well. You can get a fully developed car for $35k-$38k.

Thoughts? Am I mistaken that "street legal" and "competitive racer" can even be possible in the same car?
You can have a street legal car that is competitive (mine is), though it will not be very comfy to drive on the streets. It will be fine for short drives, but you wouldn't want to drive 2+ hours in it to/from the track (especially after you disconnect the A/C condensor to get another oil cooler in there).
Old 07-21-2006 | 08:41 PM
Timbo
6th Gear

PS, here's some candidates that catch my eye at the moment:

'77 993 prepped car, is it street legal?
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=293938

'83 930, love the paint
http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

'89 930, auction ending soon
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270007078539
Old 07-21-2006 | 08:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If it wasn't for the 35-40K, then I'd likely say Carrera Cup USA edition; otherwise, I agree with 38D (if I can stop staring at the avatar long enough), a 964, perhaps a prepared RSAmerica, which should be in that price range, might also be a nice alternative.
Old 07-21-2006 | 08:44 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

At $32k, that is a steal. I would buy that in a heartbeat if the PPI checks out. I have raced against Bert in that car, and it was definitely fast.
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:08 PM
BReyes
Racer

Berts
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
If it wasn't for the 35-40K, then I'd likely say Carrera Cup USA edition; otherwise, I agree with 38D (if I can stop staring at the avatar long enough), a 964, perhaps a prepared RSAmerica, which should be in that price range, might also be a nice alternative.
Why go fake Andial Conversion Cup when you could get a real factory built 964 Cup?
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:53 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Why go fake Andial Conversion Cup when you could get a real factory built 964 Cup?
Know of any for sale?
Old 07-22-2006 | 12:12 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick
Know of any for sale?
My best lead right now is a 964 RS Clubsport converted to Cup specs. Let me know if you're interested.

All the 964 Cups (Conversion Cups or the Carrera/Supercups) are rare.
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:05 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Make sure you read and understand the competition rules where you eventually want to race. Many cars built to be fast in DE are not good choices as race cars.
Another option is to split your budget for a car (will not be as nice as what has been suggested, perhaps a turn key SC), trailer, and tow vehicle. A couple of 90 degree days at the track followed by a long drive home in 90 degree heat gets old fast.
FWIW, I bought a fully stock car, changed it as I grew with it, and now that is a full time track/race car, it is no longer street legal. All the inspection crap aside, loosing my teeth driving on rough road is not my ideal commute.

Good luck

Nader
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:28 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Question:
If you drive your race car to the track, after how many races will it be in a condition that makes it unable to drive home? AS
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:44 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
A couple of 90 degree days at the track followed by a long drive home in 90 degree heat gets old fast.
That's me, and it does suck in the heat w/o a/c. Usually at an away track like VIR I will stay there Sunday night and drive back early Monday morning so I can drive the last session, be fresh while driving back, and it is cooler early in the morning.

I just bought a roof rack for my track tires. I was going to buy a tow vehicle and trailer, but decided to hold off for now. Still hoping to arrive at PCA SPR race this way.
Old 07-22-2006 | 02:29 PM
bruinbro
Pro

POC Boxster Spec series? You probably wouldn't finish first depending upon which creature comforts you keep, but great car to learn how to drive in and easy to add safety mods (like a cage).

Bro
Old 07-22-2006 | 02:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

A 95 - 96 993 prepared to the limits makes a good car. Can't stick with the turbos on the straights but you can make up for it under braking and through the corners.
Old 07-22-2006 | 02:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I only suggested the (Andial) US Carrera Cup since street legal was a requirement.
Not sure a Euro Cup could go more than a mile or two before being pulled over...especially if dressed in full livery.

Quick Reply: What street-legal car to get?