Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Max Mosley.....again

Did this guy work for the U.N. at some point?
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/28607/
Forcing current engine manufacturers to pay $15M each per year to the FIA, which then gives it to another engine manufacturer, just so they can continue to develop their engines and avoid a freeze?

Wow....
Old 07-14-2006, 12:35 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mad Max and Bernie... along with their sleasly gangsters need to be run out of the FIA. Formula 1's no longer much of a sporting competition.

Too much Politics... not enough Racing !!!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes, BMW, Toyota & Honda. Isn't there an engine builder conspicuous in their absence from the list to be shaken down?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F1 has been a political joke, and a very good one, for many years!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

That is 15 million Euros which is $19 million.

At least Champ Car will have a new chassis next year.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom
Mercedes, BMW, Toyota & Honda. Isn't there an engine builder conspicuous in their absence from the list to be shaken down?
Cosworth is probably going to receive most of the money - the whole point of this is to help the small engine suppliers - like Cosworth.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Cosworth is probably going to receive most of the money - the whole point of this is to help the small engine suppliers - like Cosworth.
Why?
Let the current engine manufacturers sell/lease engines to other teams.

Do we really need another generation of Paul Stoddard/Minardi misfits holding the rest of the F1 paddock hostage, since their vote counts the same as the others?
Now Dave Richards (former BAR principal) who bought the 12th grid spot is complaining/demanding cheap engines? What, he bought the 12th grid spot without a contract/price for engines?
What next? He's going to demand that one of the other teams sell him a chassis for $1M, since he can't afford to develop his own?

If you can't afford to compete it F1, last time I checked, there were LOTS of other series available.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:43 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Why?

Do we really need another generation of Paul Stoddard/Minardi misfits holding the rest of the F1 paddock hostage, since their vote counts the same as the others?
Now Dave Richards (former BAR principal) who bought the 12th grid spot is complaining/demanding cheap engines? What, he bought the 12th grid spot without a contract/price for engines?
What next? He's going to demand that one of the other teams sell him a chassis for $1M, since he can't afford to develop his own?

If you can't afford to compete it F1, last time I checked, there were LOTS of other series available.
They should do what Enzo did......sell Fiats.

Bro
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc
Why?

I do not totally disagree with your post – but I do see a counterpoint. Do we really want a 4-team F1 series? Let’s face it; if every engine on the grid “belongs” to one of the four big teams, the only real competition will be from the manufacturers. I doubt you would ever see a private team with a Ferrari engine beating the factory team, unless they have a malfunction / crash.

I would like to see a private team (Prodrive or Penske) join F1 and actually compete in the top 10 on a regular basis. I do not see this happening unless there is a non manufacturer engine available, like Cosworth. What if Honda and Toyota finally get fed up and throw in the towel?

I tend to root for the under dog. My friends and I were actually having T-Shirts made up for the USGP that said “What’s a Zsolt?” until he got let go from Menardi. Making it “easier” for the low budget teams to compete forces the manufacturers to work that much harder to stay ahead. What’s wrong with that?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I do not totally disagree with your post – but I do see a counterpoint. Do we really want a 4-team F1 series? Let’s face it; if every engine on the grid “belongs” to one of the four big teams, the only real competition will be from the manufacturers. I doubt you would ever see a private team with a Ferrari engine beating the factory team, unless they have a malfunction / crash.

I would like to see a private team (Prodrive or Penske) join F1 and actually compete in the top 10 on a regular basis. I do not see this happening unless there is a non manufacturer engine available, like Cosworth. What if Honda and Toyota finally get fed up and throw in the towel?

I tend to root for the under dog. My friends and I were actually having T-Shirts made up for the USGP that said “What’s a Zsolt?” until he got let go from Menardi. Making it “easier” for the low budget teams to compete forces the manufacturers to work that much harder to stay ahead. What’s wrong with that?
Zsolt Baumgartner.....that's a name I haven't heard in a while.....but I digress.

There's nothing wrong with making it 'easier' for the low budget teams to compete.
There IS a problem with the low budget teams holding the other teams hostage and/or getting the FIA (re: Mad Max) to extort $$ on behalf of the smaller teams.
Who says they have to compete in F1? They can go elsewhere and leave the F1 grid to those with the $$ and experience to compete. Simple.
You want to beat the Big Four? Raise $$, design a better motor, design a better chassis, find a younger/better driver and have at it.
Somehow, F1 made it this far and it seems like it's being dismantled, one piece at a time.
At this rate, I will be expecting a press release from the FIA announcing that NA$CAR has purchased the FIA.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:57 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom
Hhmmmm.... Ferrari & Renault ???

That makes a total of SIX engine builders from major manufacturers.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Itc,
I know where you are coming from but I cannot keep from remembering the past Cosworth had in F1 and wish they could once again compete at a top level. Without financial support, it will never happen. Maybe just offer the teams some kind of discount if they choose an independent engine?

Quick Reply: Max Mosley.....again