Porsche in NASCAR???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Sorry Professer.... that description is used for the NA$CAR V-8's running here in the States !!!

Here in the USA... our V-8 engines with a single cam in the block operating the valves via pushrods & rocker arms are refered to as...

An Overhead Valve Engine.

This dates back to the old Ford flathead V-8 engine which was a side valve design. when GM came out with their post WW-II V-8's. Cadillac & Olds had the intake & exhaust valves in the heads...resulting in defining these engines as an... Overhead valve engine.

Hope this helps.

I think his point was that Porsche would NOT have to dig deep in the warehouse to find an overhead valve engine as the previous poster stated. ALL engines are overhead valve engines no matter where the cam is located these days, and always have been for Porsches, whether pushrod 356s (yep, just like them there V8s) or 911s.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:03 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be amazed if you could go into any dealership and buy ANY part for a NASCAR car. I don't think there is anything "stock" on them!!!

I take that back. I just remembered you can get that brake fluid that the NASCAR guys use at Ford. And maybe lug nuts.

Still not a part, however!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:20 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

I started reading that article and said to myself "is this an april fools article" then literally checked the spine to see if I picked up the wrong one

if you read it, it also says that the engineers were "disappointed" that they couldnt put the cayenne in the truck series.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:31 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

My 53 Studabaker has a tube frame. Think they made them then? Somehow I think the coil-overs and the Ford rear end came later too. AS
Old 07-22-2006, 08:06 PM
JayP
Pro

Everyone seems to forget Daytona Protoypes... the rear-engined NASCAR series.
And a France drives one too.

Quick Reply: Porsche in NASCAR???