Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential PCA Club Racing Rule?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006 | 11:58 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Default Potential PCA Club Racing Rule?

OK, first off, I didn't hear this directly, but from a good friend who is in the market for a good set of shocks for his 911.

He called a fairly well known race team's shop for advice, after checking with other shops and he's pretty much decided on Motons. This shop had a set but specialized in a shock that doesn't have external reservoirs, but are valved specifically for the customers setup, I think had ONE adjustment for rebound (not sure on that) but it seems the guy attempted to sway my friend to purchase the NON-external reservoir shock (a nice shock indeed, brand will not be discussed for the meantime) by claiming that a PCA Club Racing rule change is to go in effect for 2007 that does NOT allow shocks with external reservoirs in the production (stock) classes.

SO, in other words, my D class prepared 911 C2 with Moton Club Sports would be illegal, forcing me to once again remortgage my house, ***** out my dog and sell my plasma to purchase another set of shocks.

Alright, I doubt this as I have yet to hear any chatter related to such a rule change, aside from what I heard maybe two years ago - my question is, has anyone else heard of this or do you think it's a sales tactic?

Hmmmmm, how many guys running in B - E class would be affected by such a rule? ...I know of one already!
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:11 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

That will save me $7K! lol.

Seriously, I would like to hear the answer before I commit to ditching the PSS9s....that I would like to ditch.

I thought that previously they were talking about bumping the car to prepared if you had a external res. which would keep you right where you are. Not sure.

JRZs now have double adjustable non-res. shocks, but I don't know much about them. Called RS I think.

J
Old 07-13-2006 | 01:11 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's the goin rate on the dog? The guys at San Quentin want to know... I think they can only barter with cigarrettes though...

Brian
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:06 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The rules change time for PCA suggestions has not yet begun for 2007 and therefore, no new rules have been adopted yet. A quick note to Donna Amico should clear up any questions you have.
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
sell my plasma to purchase another set of shocks.
Cool! Is it a Sony or Hitachi? How big? How old?
Old 07-13-2006 | 02:46 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Ha! ...how crafty you are Mark, which brings about another concern, IF I have to ditch my Motons and go to something else like the new fancy-schmancy JRZs, etc. - NO PLASMA TV for ME this Fall!! ...it's currently on the consideration list for "new toys".

Seriously, I'm not that concerned about it, as a matter of fact I don't believe that will happen unless PCA Club Racing wants to **** off a TON of "stock" class racers. This is something they should've considered maybe 3-4 years ago, when remote reservoir shocks were starting to show up at PCA events, as far as I knew...maybe before that, but I don't recall seeing many.

ANYWAY - I guess I can question Donna or one of the many scruts I've come in contact with, really trying to clear this up to help my friend decide on what shock to buy as he's going to be doing some Club races.

Brian, nice way of asking "how much?" for yourself - ya pervert.

Truth is, 'ol Booga has gone to the big sky - it was a rough Spring for me.
Old 07-13-2006 | 03:16 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I remember correctly, I believe this was on the list for 2006 CR rule changes and didn't make it through to adoption.

This would help to support that the rules won't change in this direction, but I'm not 'in the know'

Skip
Old 07-13-2006 | 03:46 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

That's kind of what I recall Skip, it was either Fall of 2004 or Fall of 2005 that I heard the "chatter" with regards to external reservoir shocks. I remember mentioning it to a few people who had the setups and they were fairly confident this would not get adopted...so last Fall I made the plunge.

Again, I should contact a scrutineer to see if it is still on the table for consideration.

My friend has a couple of really nice choices available for single-bodied shocks...

FWIW, he is considering the new JRZ and JIC"cross" suspensions that are NOT external reservoir if this rule appears that it will come to fruition.

ANY other rules "on the table" that we are aware of that could upset the "balance"? ...haha, the "balance".

FWIW, this has been addressed MANY times, but I'd like to see a weight change for the 964 series C2s. - sure, that would satisfy ME, but as I recall there are MANY other weight "complaints", of sort.
Old 07-13-2006 | 04:03 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

If you guys all had torsion bars, you wouldn't have to worry about this stuff

Yes I know some torsion bar guys have these fancy sock setups.
Old 07-13-2006 | 09:48 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

I agree with the concept, hell if they want to keep stock as stock, they should ban coil overs too. It is ridiculous that anyone who wants to be competitive in a stock class needs to drop 10k into shocks, springs, sway bars, etc.
Old 07-13-2006 | 10:13 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Great one, Mark
Old 07-13-2006 | 10:14 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

i have not yet met anyone in a stock class (not that i know that many people) that don't have externals... and as i just put my car together (finished in march) with MANY conversations with dick lane (scrut) and donna i will be PISSED if they didn't tell that was coming!
Old 07-13-2006 | 11:22 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gt3skea
i have not yet met anyone in a stock class (not that i know that many people) that don't have externals...
I don't have externals, nor are my shocks adjustable.
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:12 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Lots of guys in stock classes are running non-remote reservoirs.
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:17 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I think PCA rule changes affecting performance should be announced with a full season between the announcement and the effective date.

Safety changes should take effect in the season following the change (as they are now).

Quick Reply: Potential PCA Club Racing Rule?