Sponsored by:

Two great days at LRP with NNJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

my wife's audi made more exhaust noise than my 2000 996----at least until i put the ghl's on it.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
As mentioned earlier, the use of the noise meter seemed fair on Friday, in that the cars called in sounded "loud" and there were few of them. Saturday, with a different operator of the equipment, they were claiming 10-12 cars per group were over 89, many of them showroom stock cars. We have seen this in the past where the problem isn't the noise limits at LR...it is the incompetent personnel enforcing them on certain days.
The same person was testing both days . . . but in different locations. I spent the first Red run group with him on Saturday. We were on the hill above the entrance to No Name. He was only writing down car numbers who registered over 91. I don't know anything about sound equipment but he had the equipment sitting on top of the fence post. He only recorded the sound reading and the car number when the car was alone entering No Name.

There were only about three or four cars in the group that were under 89 . . . many were in the 93-96 range.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tntporsche
The same person was testing both days . . . but in different locations. I spent the first Red run group with him on Saturday. We were on the hill above the entrance to No Name. He was only writing down car numbers who registered over 91. I don't know anything about sound equipment but he had the equipment sitting on top of the fence post. He only recorded the sound reading and the car number when the car was alone entering No Name.

There were only about three or four cars in the group that were under 89 . . . many were in the 93-96 range.
Arlene, I guess I was given wrong info when I asked and was told it was a diff. person on Saturday. Anyway, do you know why so many more people were listed as offenders on Saturday than on Friday, including stock muffler cars?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Arlene - Did Dave install those taillights on your 964 yet or did his car taillights miraculously heal?

Old 07-15-2006, 08:23 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Arlene - Did Dave install those taillights on your 964 yet or did his car taillights miraculously heal?

They are MINE and thank you very much! Problem is I will probably be doing the install . . . may have to recruit the youngling to help.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

They are MINE and thank you very much! Problem is I will probably be doing the install . . . may have to recruit the youngling to help.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
No thanks called for, your (and Dave's) year's of giving to NNJR have made it what it is today for new guys (from other Regions no less!) like me to enjoy!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Arlene, I guess I was given wrong info when I asked and was told it was a diff. person on Saturday. Anyway, do you know why so many more people were listed as offenders on Saturday than on Friday, including stock muffler cars?
I am not so sure that the number of offenders was very different from Friday to Saturday. Friday, he was calling the flaggers and having people black flagged. I think his criteria was something like four hits over 92 or 93 before he had a car black flagged. Saturday, at least on the first red run group, I don't think he black flagged anyone. He just listed everyone and then gave the list to the chiefs to notify people.

The majority of the cars in that first red group on Saturday were in the 89 to 92 range. However, as I said in my previous post, I do not now anything about measuring sound. It really didn't seem to matter whether a group of cars went by or whether a single car passed. Perhaps, the equipment is sensitive enough to pick up one car at a time even when they are travelling in a pack. He was, however, only writing down numbers when he caught a car alone.

If there is anyone from CVR on this thread that knows how they measure sound at CVR events, please pm me.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am not so sure that the number of offenders was very different from Friday to Saturday. Friday, he was calling the flaggers and having people black flagged. I think his criteria was something like four hits over 92 or 93 before he had a car black flagged. Saturday, at least on the first red run group, I don't think he black flagged anyone. He just listed everyone and then gave the list to the chiefs to notify people.

The majority of the cars in that first red group on Saturday were in the 89 to 92 range. However, as I said in my previous post, I do not now anything about measuring sound. It really didn't seem to matter whether a group of cars went by or whether a single car passed. Perhaps, the equipment is sensitive enough to pick up one car at a time even when they are travelling in a pack. He was, however, only writing down numbers when he caught a car alone.

If there is anyone from CVR on this thread that knows how they measure sound at CVR events, please pm me.
I, and most of the people parked near me were notified on Saturday, none of use were on Friday. Maybe they were looking at a higher number on Friday. Maybe I'll just instruct next year.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:08 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

I, and most of the people parked near me were notified on Saturday, none of use were on Friday. Maybe they were looking at a higher number on Friday. Maybe I'll just instruct next year.
Bull

Were you black flagged or just notified by the chief? I think there were a lot of people on Friday's list but not everyone was black flagged.

At one point on Friday, he was testing from the start/finish line and later on Friday at big bend. Saturday morning he was testing at No Name. Maybe the location makes a difference. I did not bring a car to LR because even with a muffler, I have been black flagged. Just not worth the effort for me to get there and then have to deal with the sound issue. As I said earlier, it is getting more difficult to run an event at LR.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bull

Were you black flagged or just notified by the chief? I think there were a lot of people on Friday's list but not everyone was black flagged.

At one point on Friday, he was testing from the start/finish line and later on Friday at big bend. Saturday morning he was testing at No Name. Maybe the location makes a difference. I did not bring a car to LR because even with a muffler, I have been black flagged. Just not worth the effort for me to get there and then have to deal with the sound issue. As I said earlier, it is getting more difficult to run an event at LR.
Nothing on Friday, notified by Dick on Saturday first run. Later, I was running very close with another car (similar car, same exhaust) on Saturday when the black flag was pointed at us. I assumed it was him, of course, and they finally showed his number after neither of us came in.

LRP is difficult in many ways, I would think! Now, if there were a nice new, long track with great facilities about to open nearby.........
Old 07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

I got black flagged on the last run of Friday, and then informed again by Dick after run one on Saturday. I had never been over the sound limit at LR before, as I have the turbo and a muffler to quiet things down.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Colin,

With my turbo car, brand new street muffler I would get black flagged for noise from time-to-time saying I was in the 94db range. At one of our track events last year I stood next to the person doing the noise test and a single, sole 944 street car in the green run group with no modifications came up at 91db. In groups of 3 or more cars, the noise was generally over 93db and she would randomly pick out a number to call in.

It is disappointing, but the track has to do what it must to avoid the $10,000 fine which it passes on to the renting group. There are just so many reasons to find alternatives to driving at LRP.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think LRP is full if it. How do hey have open race practice every week with no noise limits and yet limit rental groups to a ridiculous level. They need to stop playing games and fix the track which includes not only the pavement, but the management.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They have a certain number of allotted days for open noise which are used for the professional racing events and other misc days. They don't have open practice (test and tune) days every other week. They have nine 1/2 day test and tune sessions over the couse of a season.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm told that they can also lose an allotted open noise day (pay day!) if found not enforcing the noise limits.

Quick Reply: Two great days at LRP with NNJR