Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two great days at LRP with NNJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Sheesh Richard, I just realized who you are, sorry I didn't recognize you from the LRP Club Race weekend when you came over and introduced yourself... you were parked about 4 cars up from me. Now I can put the "Amy!" car and you together..
Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Stock?

I caught you modifying your exhaust on Friday. You used what to hold up your muffler & tail pipe -- hose clamps?? Stock, indeed!
Quiet - now my secret is out! Those hose clamps are worth about 5 extra hp per clamp!

I keep ripping through the rubber muffler 'hangers' too fast. I wonder if I should keep the hose clamps on, or will that prevent the muffler from moving within the necessary limits???

-Z-man.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 PM
racer
Drifting

F*#k Lime Rock Park.

I got flagged both days by the "noise police". Tried a "down pipe". Tried stuffing a preferated aluminum can into the down pipe. Still too loud according to whomever (not really sure who).
It won't be just LRP in the future. I would expect even more tracks to come down harder on noise violations and noise limits.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The noise restrictions at LRP are not new, and they have been tied to the CT State noise restrictions for public roads for some years. It is the apparent incompetence of some of the LRP Staff who operate the sound meter, which seems to have become a problem since the new operators took over. We have seen more than one event where one operator tests the run groups on day 1 and finds a very few violators who sound loud to the ear. Then on Day 2, there is a different operator who suddenly is identifying 10-15 cars per run group who are "violators", including some completely stock cars, none of which failed on Day 1.

That is what happened at the 7/7 & 8 event, as well as one of our events last year. So many cars were being identified on Day 2 that the LRP Staff stopped using the black flag and went to making a list, then having one of the Chief Instructors hunt us down in the Paddock to notify us.

Richard, the LRP Management Staff monitors the sound, as required by the local municipality. They move around to various locations on the track.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Was anyone actually booted as a result of sound? I was BF'd twice and told by the Chiefs simply to go back out.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:36 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
It won't be just LRP in the future. I would expect even more tracks to come down harder on noise violations and noise limits.
Why?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:41 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Charlie,

I wasn't told I couldn't continue, but I didn't want to cause a problem for the region either.

After 3 BF's on friday, and another during saturday's first run, I elected to pack it in. I did stay to finish with my student, but I'd guess I never drove my car more than a total of 20 - 23 laps between fri and sat a.m.

Richard
Old 07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The number of wrecked cars every time I has been there is disturbing.

The last time I ran there, my car was unsettle at the apex onto the main straight due to the heavy bumps, then more bumps at the end of the straight. I was running my shocks at zero compression at the rear, and just one click at the front, it doesn't make sense.

Any infield course at Pocono is smoother than LRP.

The registration cost is pretty high, more expensive than WGI.

Now, stock street cars are too loud. Enough for me. I doubt I would ever go back.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Was anyone actually booted as a result of sound? I was BF'd twice and told by the Chiefs simply to go back out.
I just kept on driving...all runs, all laps.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
racer
Drifting

Why?
Encroachment by developers. All those tracks that seemed so remote when built no longer have that luxury. LRP was the "first", especially with its no racing on Sunday restriction. NHIS has noise restrictions. Mt Tremblant has noise restrictions. Those are just some of the "regional tracks". The Summit Point complex (SP,SC,JC) are being encroached upon by housing developments. I would expect noise restrictions there in a few years.

Plus, why do racecars and, more appropriately, "DE" cars need to be loud? The Audi diesels at LeMans were so much queiter than the big block vettes. There is no reason to think that technology can not produce a quite(er) car that is still fast.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

And anyone that currently builds/buys a home near a racetrack and then complains about noise should be taken away in the idiot wagon. It's no different than someone buying a home next to a major highway, and I see them all the time and wonder WTH they were thinking. Is the state going to move the highway because the traffic is too loud? At LRP, most of the people that have caused all the ruckus are NOT real locals but out of state weekend/summer warriors that have moved into the area. The planning and zoning comission of any town with a major racetrack should have LONG ago placed restrictions on surrounding property, but again WHY would you move in next to an existing racetrack for peace and quiet?

As for why do "DE" cars *need* to be loud? If we all could afford to buy a modern engine that produces good power with a larger silencer backpressure i'm sure most would. Some of our cars are 30 +/- years old and run on the simple premise of more oxygen/gas in, more exhaust flow out to make modest power. The cars flagged at LRP last weekend included STOCK road cars that were not loud at all, but were measured incorrectly. The cars that were BF'd that were modified were not that loud either (except of course Richard's.... ...)
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
And anyone that currently builds/buys a home near a racetrack and then complains about noise should be taken away in the idiot wagon. It's no different than someone buying a home next to a major highway, and I see them all the time and wonder WTH they were thinking. Is the state going to move the highway because the traffic is too loud? At LRP, most of the people that have caused all the ruckus are NOT real locals but out of state weekend/summer warriors that have moved into the area. The planning and zoning comission of any town with a major racetrack should have LONG ago placed restrictions on surrounding property, but again WHY would you move in next to an existing racetrack for peace and quiet?

As for why do "DE" cars *need* to be loud? If we all could afford to buy a modern engine that produces good power with a larger silencer backpressure i'm sure most would. Some of our cars are 30 +/- years old and run on the simple premise of more oxygen/gas in, more exhaust flow out to make modest power. The cars flagged at LRP last weekend included STOCK road cars that were not loud at all, but were measured incorrectly. The cars that were BF'd that were modified were not that loud either (except of course Richard's.... ...)
I'm not arguing here. Just stating some facts. I too run a nearly 30 year old SC, with sport muffler and love the sound. I too think sound restrictions at a "race track" are absurd, but they do exist and likely will only get "worse" for us.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

" never drove my car more than a total of 20 - 23 laps between fri and sat a.m."

So Richard, your cost per mile isn't so good then....
Old 07-11-2006, 08:22 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Hi Geoffrey,

I figure about $13 a lap (no instructor's discount).

See you at Mosport?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Trackmasters next week (first test of the new car), then HVR on 27th and Mosport on 28-30 and CVR again on 25/26

Quick Reply: Two great days at LRP with NNJR