Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two great days at LRP with NNJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 12:39 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

They finally paved a good portion of the paddocks which is a big improvement over the hard packed sand.

No need to fight for the concrete patchs anymore!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes, they even paved over on what used to be grass by the fence south of the bathroom! Any of you going back for HVR's event on 7/27? I'll be there for sure..
Old 07-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
I got black flagged twice for noise. On friday, my sound level was an alleged 98 db. With my turbo and my muffler, I had never been over 90 at LR before. Really made me question the measurements.

Anyway, it was a fun 2 days. It was also good to meet a bunch of 'listers.

Gary, you definitely looked quick out there. Time to come race and try to catch Bill & Mike .
Thanks Colin, I hope to be at Summit Point in October where I will do my best to stay out of Bill and Mike's way when they come around to LAP me! Maybe with some pointers from you, Dr. Jupe and the guys at the next event I can pick up some time...

Last edited by Gary R.; 07-09-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:00 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
WOW, I haven't been to LR in 2 yrs and am I seeing things or is the paddock paved?

Sleder,

Don't let the low-grade blacktop on the paddock influence your assessment of LRP. The track surface sucks and, IMHO, has gotten worse.

To me it appears as though the current owners are just milking the facility for what they can until they can sell the land for development.

WGI is closing early this year for re-surfacing. I have no question at all but that the job will get done. And there have been other visible improvements at the Glen in the last 2 years.

We were told by the new ownership 3 years ago that the rate increases at LRP were necessary to fund the much needed repaving of the track.

HVR has 2 more dates at Lime Rock and I will support my home region's D.E. program as they do run a very good event. But I think I will limit my time at LRP to those remaining HVR events.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't run at LRP any more. I am fed up with the noise police and the crappy track. I think my lawnmover is too loud. How can they black flag stock cars. That is ridiculous!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 08:17 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Sleder,

Don't let the low-grade blacktop on the paddock influence your assessment of LRP. The track surface sucks and, IMHO, has gotten worse.
Several of us down in the foriegner's end of the paddock remarked that the track indeed seemed quite a bit worse than any of us remembered it being last season. The porpoising in the brake zone at noname seemed more pronounced and the apex of the downhill seemed to have acquired several distinct bumps. I still love LRP, but I have to admit its getting far more difficult to do so.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep an eye on the ALMS schedule for next year......
In 05, the teams complained about the track surface and this year complained even more.
If the ALMS series drops LRP, then perhaps that's a sign of the doors getting ready to close.....
I still prefer LRP to NHIS (both about 2.5 hours from home), but it looks like WGI may end up my 'home track' in the future.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:16 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been to LRP in 2 years only due the inferior attitude on behalf of the ownership. They are charging more than any other track with the excuse of a repaving charge, and the repaving should have been 4 or 5 years ago. Db's and the paddock, it's just not worth the aggravation. They are many other places to get PO'd about than were I spend my fun time.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic event - definately one for the highlight books! I think there was a stint when I was out on the track (riding, driving, or instructing) for 4 runs in a row. Man that's a lotta laps!

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Z-Man - Sorry to make youe female friend go dig for her wristband... I was on a power trip!
Gary - No worries. (Oh, that was Mrs. Z-man, BTW...)

I was wondering if I was going to get a black flag for noise by the sound police. You know the sound the eminates from a BONE STOCK 944S2 with a completely stock exhaust system can be deafening... I suspect that some of the sound police were a bit over-zealous with their numbers - kinda like we get with lap times.

Regarding the condition of the track - Lime Rock is definately better suited for cars with less firm suspensions - I'm running 400 lb. springs - and while the track feels bumpy in my car - it is certainly not as harsh as those with a more aggressive suspension.

-Z-man.

Last edited by Z-man; 07-10-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
.................... I'm running 400 lb. springs - and while the track feels dumpy in my car - it is certainly not as harsh as those with a more aggressive suspension.

-Z-man.
You calling Lime Rock a "dump"????????
Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant believe that boxster with the motor that blewup .. really strange especially as it was an automatic.

hey z-man, was very nice to meet you and i appreciate the use of "Chez Z-man" ... sorry i missed you at the end, but i was at the other end of the paddock when they 'looked after' my stuff.
Hope to see you at the next event.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"i cant believe that boxster with the motor that blewup .. really strange especially as it was an automatic."

Why can't you believe it? I can't tell you the number of 986/987/996 cars that I've followed on the track that are smoking out of one or both sides. Not that ALL of the engines are bad, or that they are junk, etc., but in my opinion, they are just not up to the task of track duty like the older engines are.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Was nice meeting you Rob, love your car..

Lucky it wasn't really burning as it was sad to watch 10 people with extinguishers standing there and because Porsche "hid" the engine no one was able to do much until they got all the crap out of the way. If that car was burning it would have been to the ground in two minutes.. I have never seen so much (white) smoke in my life, totally obscured the track from West Bend to Pit in.. 0 visability.

The "integrated" Dry Sump is great for the road but I would say since the great minds at Porsche decided NOT to use it on the 997 GT3 speaks volumes about how great it is for the track...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bull
You calling Lime Rock a "dump"????????
Typo. I meant bumpy.

Originally Posted by Rob
hey z-man, was very nice to meet you and i appreciate the use of "Chez Z-man" ... sorry i missed you at the end, but i was at the other end of the paddock when they 'looked after' my stuff.
Hope to see you at the next event.
Anytime. My shade is your shade... Nice to meet you over the weekend.

Was that your stuff that was left beside my canopy at the end of the event? I told Russ, since it looked like there was no one around to lay claim to it. So we put it in the club van. Did you grab it before the NNJR van left, or are you still missing it, or was it someone else's stuff?

-Z-man.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:19 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
You know the sound the eminates from a BONE STOCK 944S2 with a completely stock exhaust system can be deafening... I suspect that some of the sound police were a bit over-zealous with their numbers - kinda like we get with lap times.
Stock?

I caught you modifying your exhaust on Friday. You used what to hold up your muffler & tail pipe -- hose clamps?? Stock, indeed!

Anyway, I tried not to let the noise coppers ruin my good time and really did enjoy my student & his car (gotta love those 911 SC's).

After signing my guy off from green to yellow on Saturday, I loaded up and was on my way home before noon. So I guess I missed the smokin' Boxster.

At our next event (I think for me that will be the Mosport club race) all Rennlisters must get together for a photo. We should try to do this for all events and then someone can post to the board each time after the event.

Ciao.

Quick Reply: Two great days at LRP with NNJR